Where did 80lbs for seat belt readiness come from?

Pixelated

Moderator - CPST Instructor
80lbs as a marker to be out of a booster has been around for a while, and mentioned here and there. I'm wondering where it came from originally? It is part of the law in Ontario (8 or 80lbs or 4'9") but not elsewhere, like BC (9 or 4'9"). Is it a remnant of when boosters only went to 80lbs and that was the only option but to 'graduate' to the seat belt? Is there any source or research to go along with that weight for improved outcomes in the belt only?

ADS

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
Is it a remnant of when boosters only went to 80lbs and that was the only option but to 'graduate' to the seat belt?

I don't know, but I would guess this is the closest answer. There are many states that use 80 lbs (or 60, or 40 :rolleyes:) and I imagine it's based on old thinking, not actual evidence. Curious to know if anyone else knows more exact history on it though.

featherhead

Yeah, probably something to do with old booster weight limits. Our brand new law here in Manitoba also has 80 lbs in it.

tiggercat

Yes, I think it has to do with booster weight limits. Because if you have a >80lb child who is not yet 8 or 4'9, and your boosters max out at 80lb, there would be no legal way to transport them.
To me, that makes more sense than adding an 8 (or 9) year age cop out. That drives me nuts. My 8yo is tall for her age but only 65lbs and not even close to 5 stepping in any vehicle. Now I have to argue with her friend's parents when driving their kids because they're not legally required, and I hate confrontation! LOL

Sent from my iPod touch using Car-Seat.Org

YinzerMama

I never really got why boosters have a weight limit. I mean if my fat butt doesn't crush it, I don't think any kid's will, either. It always seemed like the height should be where they make the cut-off since it's all about how the seat belt fits, and if my kid is super fat but short, the seat belt isn't going to fit any better than a kid who is tall and thin - in fact it will fit WORSE.

But I guess they have to make a guideline somewhere and "until the seat belt fits your child in your car" is too confusing for most people.

Lemonade

My just turned 6 yr old nephew is 85lbs. He's the same height as my 41# 7.5 yr old. I think he still rides in a NBB. I am fairly certain they don't know he legally could go without it or he certainly would be. These kids (his older sisters are fairly average sized) boostered between ages 2 and 3, as soon as they hit 30#.
Fairly certain this child has some sort of metabolic disorder that will be Dx'd someday:(

Mysweethoneybee

My almost 6 year old is above 80lbs. Our pediatrician told us that he didn't need to ride in a booster seat anymore. I said yes he does because the seat belt doesn't fit him without a booster. All the neighbors think I am crazy because my son rides in a booster when he is as tall as the 9 and 10 year olds in the neighborhood and they don't ride in boosters. None of them are the 4'9" even but everyone seems to think as long as they reach the 8 or 80lbs they are fine to ride in a seat belt. Of course my oldest son's booster only went up to 60lbs and I don't know if there were more choices than I knew about back in 2000 but because he reached 60lbs while he was still 6 I put him in just a seatbelt (law then was child seat or booster seat until age 4). Now even if my son reached the 120lbs limit of his booster I would keep him in it unless he 5 stepped or unless he didn't fit because I am not sure a 120lb kid would fit comfortably in a booster.

_juune

In Europe all child car seats have an upper limit of 36 kg which is about 80lbs -- group 3 is up to 36 kg and all boosters are group 2-3 meaning 15kg to 36kg. I've heard very little advice on what to do if a child is 36kg yet very young or short. Law mostly says a car seat or a booster is mandatory up to the height of 150cm or 135cm, depending on the country.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC