Which britax??

U

Unregistered

Trying to decide between the Roundabout 50 or 55 or the Marathon Classic for my daughter who just turned one. She is 90% for height and 45% for weight. We drive a Dodge Grand Caravan and I would like to keep her RF in the captains chair. We tried to put a Graco My Ride 70 back there and it didn't fit - just way too big. Which of the above listed Britax models would you recommend? We cannot really go up to the higher models. Are these just as safe? Is there another similar-priced seat I should consider? I am new at this and appreciate your help so much!

ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Of those three the classic Marathon is an inch taller.

I'd look for a Graco Size4Me/Headwise/My Size 70 on sale, though. You can often get them around $150 on sale, regular prices are $180-$200. They last MANY years longer than the Roundabout 55 and about three years longer than the Roundabout 50 and Classic Marathon rear facing (rear facing only. Forward facing they last about a year longer). They're also less bulky than the My Ride you tried. So that'd be my suggestion in that price range. I'd worry with a Britax that you'd have to turn your child forward facing before you're ready. They're not terribly tall seats and their pricetag unfortunately doesn't reflect that.

And all seats pass the same tests. You don't buy safety. Just features or longevity.

Wendy

Kecia

Admin - CPST Instructor
When you say the My Ride 70 didn't fit, did you mean that it took up too much space front-to-back in the rear-facing position? What are your rear-facing goals? Do you want to keep her rear-facing until 2? 3? 4?

Not sure if you've seen it yet but we have a comparative review here that might help you: http://carseatblog.com/22818/the-ul...ertible-space-comparison-review-size-matters/

The "Classic" Roundabout 50/Marathon 65 takes up a little bit more space when rear-facing (when compared with the RA55) but still less than the My Ride. The Classic models will buy you some extra height room but they max out at 35 lbs rear-facing. The RA 55 takes up very little space (at least in my van) and it's rated to 40 lbs rf, but it's a little bit shorter than the classic models so you lose a little bit of growing room height-wise with that model.

We have a full review of the RA55 here: http://carseatblog.com/12199/britax-roundabout-55-review-continuing-the-legacy-picture-heavy/

HTH!

U

Unregistered

Sounds like Britax isn't for us. Silly question maybe - but would the headrest block her view of her siblings sitting next to her? Also, is ther a seat that's best for rear facing leg room? She's gonna have long legs, I can tell.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Most kids don't mind the headwings. They can usually lean forward to look around them.

The Britaxes are about second shortest on leg room as well. Definitely dodging a bullet with them. :)

The Graco Size4Me/Headwise/My Size 70 is pretty good on leg room. The First Years True Fit (only a 35 pound rear facing limit but tall) offers a lot of leg room.

Wendy

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
I agree with the recommendations of the Diono Radian (tall shell--not the tallest, but tall--and high RF weight limit, with plenty of leg room due to its design), Graco MySize70/Size4Me70/Headwise (very tall shell and high RF weight limit), and First Years TrueFit (tall shell, good leg room, but lower RF weight limit). You might also want to consider the Chicco NextFit.

tiggercat

The Radians are a pretty good for with latch in Caravans, I was driving with an RXT behind my driver's seat for years in my (not so grand) caravan. Some model years might give you problems with seatbelt installs.

Sent from my iPod touch using Car-Seat.Org

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC