Marathon or Como, Please help a first time mom

krystin_21a

I am trying to decide between the Marathon or the Como for my almost 6 month old. I have tried him in the Marathon and he looks good in it, but my hubby doesn't think any of the colors I have tried are manly enough for his boy. (They gave him a pink pacifier in the hospital and you should have seen him then!) He really liked the look of the Como (black and tan one), but I can't find any safty information on it. With the Britax I have heard nothing but good things and with the Como the only reason I have even heard of it was because I saw a picture of it on EliteCarseats. Any information, yes, no, neither one, would be great.

I drive a 2007 Jetta. It has side curtin airbags and a middle arm rest. I have him installed in the center and I am using the latch. He weights almost 14 pounds and is about 25.5 inches. I currently have him in a Graco Snugride and have the Marathon in BrownStone.

ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
The Como is brand new, so there aren't too many things about it online. Hopefully someone with one will chime in.

However, it is very important that you go out right now, before you drive again, and get the seat uninstalled with the LATCH. VW does not allow center LATCH use. His seat is essentially not installed. Put it in with the seatbelt in the middle or outboard with LATCH, but not the middle with LATCH.

Wendy

cheerbop

I don't have the Como. It is so newthat I am timid about it.
But, I do have 2 Marathons and we love LOVE them!
My hubby is the same about funny colors for our 3 sons. We have 2 All Star Blue Marathons. Have you or he seen those? They also have it in Tan--VERY boy.
Anyway, MA is very easy peasy to install, with either LATCH or seatbelts.
Plus, MA's have been around awhile.

I hope you find what you are looking for:D

krystin_21a

The Como is brand new, so there aren't too many things about it online. Hopefully someone with one will chime in.

However, it is very important that you go out right now, before you drive again, and get the seat uninstalled with the LATCH. VW does not allow center LATCH use. His seat is essentially not installed. Put it in with the seatbelt in the middle or outboard with LATCH, but not the middle with LATCH.

Wendy
WOW! Thanks a lot for the advice. I had no idea. I read the manual but I must have missed that part. Is it even safe to install a seat next to side curtin airbags? I also thought that it was safest to have them in the middle, is that correct? Also, about the Marathon, I used the latch to install in the middle because I couldn't figure out how to use the lock offs. Any tips? Also, I see that you are a tech, correct? Do you by any chance know any good techs in the Norfolk (ish) area?

littleangelfire

The idea of the como sounds great, but has gotten some negative feedback from people buying it here, mainly for older kids, though, it seems to be too narrow to comofortably hold a big kid (5 and up?) and is very reclined even for an older forward facing child. I LOVE our Marathon and am sorry that my son is right at the top slots and almost too big for it. :( Easiest seat I ever installed, soft comfy cover, and it can be tethered rear facing for added stability, the como can't. They make a black/gray cover - onyx, I think? I've seen it online and at Babies R Us. Or, you could buy a seat and then get a different cover (Britax made cover, that is, no other brands!) on eBay.I'd vote for the Marathon.
Amy

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
WOW! Thanks a lot for the advice. I had no idea. I read the manual but I must have missed that part. Is it even safe to install a seat next to side curtin airbags? I also thought that it was safest to have them in the middle, is that correct? Also, about the Marathon, I used the latch to install in the middle because I couldn't figure out how to use the lock offs. Any tips? Also, I see that you are a tech, correct? Do you by any chance know any good techs in the Norfolk (ish) area?

Side curtain airbags come down from the ceiling, so they generally do not affect child restraints. The middle is the safest location statistically, but the other positions are not unsafe. For instance right now, your child would be safer if you are going to use LATCH behind you or the passenger, he's not safe in the middle with LATCH. But if you use the seatbelt then you can install anywhere. If you can't get a good seatbelt installation in the middle then you must go outboard. A safe installation trumps location.

Your seatbelts lock, you don't need the lockoffs. Pull the seatbelt all the way out then let it back in. You'll hear a ratcheting sound and it'll be locked from then.

I don't know of any techs in Norfolk, but there are a good number of techs here, so maybe one of them is nearby or knows someone.

Wendy

Suzibeck

We have a 2003 Jetta wagon. My MA installs nicely in the center with the seatbelt. It doesn't go in as easily as outboard with LATCH, but I don't have to fight it much. Heck, if dh puts his weight in it while I pull the belt tight, we do it in less than a minute. You do not need to use the lockoffs with a locking seatbelt so don't worry aboout that.

It is much easier to install any seat if you pull the front seats forward while you are installing. You may have already figured that out, but I thought I'd mention it. They can be pushed back easily once the install is complete.

Personally, I'd go for the MA, just because it has a proven track record. Most new seats take a while for bugs to get worked out and I expect that to be the case with the Como.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC