Car in wreck question

Shilohsmom

My friend was in a minor car wreck where she was rear-ended. She doesn't know whether or not she should fight to get her MA replaced. The accident was very minor, but she's not sure about the car seat. State Farm (the guy's insurance) says that they will only replace the car seat if its cracked. Should she fight to get the car seat replaced? If so, State Farm wants to see in writing something that proves that it is unsafe to use a car seat that has been in a wreck. She still has to receipt and can prove that it is still under warranty.

TIA,

Leslie

ADS

MomToEliEm

This is from the Britax site:

Q: What should I do with my child restraint that’s been involved in a crash?

A: Britax recommends that use of a child restraint be discontinued if it has been in a severe crash. We further advise of the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) position that it is not necessary to replace a child restraint after a minor crash. A minor crash is one that meets ALL of following criteria:

* The vehicle was able to be driven away from the crash site;
* The vehicle door nearest the child restraint was undamaged;
* There were no injuries to any of the vehicle occupants;
* The air bags (if present) did not deploy; AND
* There is no visible damage to the child restraint.

If your Britax child restraint has been involved in a severe crash, it may be eligible for consideration for a new one of the same or similar design. See the Voluntary Crashed Restraint Exchange section of our website for more details.

Mama!

My friend was in a minor car wreck where she was rear-ended. She doesn't know whether or not she should fight to get her MA replaced. The accident was very minor, but she's not sure about the car seat. State Farm (the guy's insurance) says that they will only replace the car seat if its cracked. Should she fight to get the car seat replaced? If so, State Farm wants to see in writing something that proves that it is unsafe to use a car seat that has been in a wreck. She still has to receipt and can prove that it is still under warranty.

TIA,

Leslie
I cant believe State Farm is being so picky! I was in a wreck once and it destroyed our infant bucket seat. They replaced it no questions asked, and said that they always do. Its a safety issue, and even if the other company never pays up, they provide a new seat.

skipspin

She must have a bad rep.
My agent said that they will replace any occupied seat in a crash where there is ANY damage. Unoccupied seats she wasn't sure about. Then again, they also know I'm a CPST because I'm organizing a seat check for them.

natysr

What state is she in. California mandates by law that insurance companies replace all seat involved in an accident.

I personally would even replace a britax even if it did not meet the Britax requirements to be replaced. That is my parental decision based on the fact that every other carseat manufacturer states that seats should be replaced after any crash.

I would search on google for some sort of a safety article that covers the subject of replacing seats after an accident and see if he would take that.

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
In California, insurance companies are required to replace occupied seats in a crash. No need to google it, ;) there's an article I put together over in the safety articles section of the forum with crashed seat replacement links and tips for dealing with a reluctant insurance company at: http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=9575 Hope this helps.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC