New convertible seat ideas?

hgpswimmer4

We have ODD's old Graco Myride 65 but its a few years old (not yet expired) and she is not crazy about the very deep recline in it. So we need a new seat to use. We have an Evenflo Sureride in the secondary vehicle which is usually only used on weekends. We need a seat for our primary vehicle. I know the Radian is extremely popular, particularly for ERF but its too expensive and I've spent enough on car seats this year altogether since we had to move ODD into a booster full-time. So I would prefer one that is not so pricey. The Foonf is off-limits completely I think its overrated and my YDD cried when we put her in it just to try it out it was uncomfortable.
YDD is: 14 months, 31.5" tall (close to 90%) and 23-24# (about 60-75%) I would like to ERF hopefully to 2.5-3 if possible. With her growth pattern, its unrealistic to make it to 4. If I don't make it that far, so be it but we will do the best we can. We have other financial issues going on so we can't keep buying new seats so much. The seat will be going in a 2011 Chevy Equinox, most likely in an outboard spot with LATCH.
I am really interested in:
* Chicco Nextfit
* Graco Size4Me70/Mysize 70
* Recaro Performance Ride/Proride
* First years True Fit
* I Might be able to shell in a R100 but not likely an RXT
Any ideas? Thanks.

ADS

1mommy

The true fit only rear faces to 35 pounds so I would cross that one off your list with a heavier child. I've also heard bad things about the Recaro having very little leg room and being difficult to load a child into (esp in a SUV).

For the time being can you move the sureride to be her primary carseat and that will give you a bit of time for the second?

If finances are an issue the Graco Mysize is the cheapest of the seats you mentioned. Also keep an eye on swap for a used seat?

heather13619

I think the Graco Size4Me/MySize/Headwise sound the best for your situation. Lower end of pricing among the models you listed and nice and tall. The True Fit with it's 35lb weight limit would be a deal breaker, the Recaros aren't good on leg room, and the Nexfit is going to cost more than an R100. If Albeebaby has a 20% off coupon on their site you can get the S4M for around $150.

Irishmama

I agree, the MySize/Size4Me will probably be your best bet if you get a new seat. Nice and tall for rf, and a 40 lb limit. She may also start sprouting legs as she gets older, and her torso may slow down and give you more time rf than you thought. If not, rf to 2.5 to 3 is nothing to sneeze at either. You're doing the best you can to keep her safe, so kudos to you!

What about swapping the seats for now, if funds are tight? You might be able to get the My Ride a little more upright in a different vehicle too.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC