4-year-olds and school busses

TeenaMarie

Would an almost 41inch, 35-38lb 4year-old(Editing, at her 4 year checkup in June she was almost 41inches, at her appointment today she was 43inches) be safe on a school bus without a restraint?
I went with my sister to fill out the paper work for Jordyn(niece) to start preschool, they said she's in the ECEAP program(11AM-2PM) and the bus for the headstart kids(9AM-11AM) will pick the kids up and drop them off before the headstart kids end, but they will ride home on the bus with the older kids. When I asked about restraints, she said the bus to school will have harnesses, but the bus home won't. She went on to tell us that the ECEAP kids sit in the first 4 rows.

Just knowing how I was riding the bus as a kid, this scares me. But then searching I've come to a lot of talk about compartmentalization being the reason to not have restraints, to me it sounds like its saying their safe because their just thrown between well padded seats?

Last edited:
ADS

ahgirls

First thing make sure your niece is on a full size for compartmentalization to work. Preschool age children should be in some type of harness as compartmentalization doesn't work for their height & weight. There are plenty of different things that can be retro for the bus.

Hopefully someone can explain this better. I never worried about that with my dd in preschool as she was huge.

TeenaMarie

If its not a full sized bus would there be some sort of seatbelt?
We're not one hundred percent positive about how transportation will be since the elementary school the kids around us will go to is on the main street and two blocks away, but they don't have preschool there so the school she will be going to is two miles away; not sure how many kids will be on the bus or how big the bus will be...

Searched child restraint laws on school buses, and found (http://web3.esd112.org/docs/school-...ty-restraint-systems-lesson-plan.pdf?sfvrsn=4) and I'm getting that pretty much if she was in headstart she'd by law have to be restrained on the bus, but since shes in ECEAP, she doesn't? The only thing we were told is different between the two is the funding, same/similar aged kids, but one group doesn't get the same protection?

Last edited:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC