Help! I'm in decisive. Chicco Nextfit or Maxi Cosi Pria?

woemare00

I am more looking for comfort and padding for my lil man.
I have a Jeep Patriot and I'm sure they both would fit. But I can either get a Nextfit for $237 or maxi cosi for $186 with a free $50 gift card. Help me pick

ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
How old and heavy is your child? If the 40" rear facing height limit on the Pria won't be an issue then certainly that price is appealing. If you'd like to rear face your child beyond 40", then the NextFit would be my suggestion.

Wendy

woemare00

He is on the verge of 6 months. 16lbs-/+ and 26 1/2" -/+

How old and heavy is your child? If the 40" rear facing height limit on the Pria won't be an issue then certainly that price is appealing. If you'd like to rear face your child beyond 40", then the NextFit would be my suggestion.

Wendy

woemare00

Yeah, those are the ones ive really considered. But im open to recommendations ;) im mostly looking for comfort and padding (as the keyfit infant seat has NO padding) also multiple recline positions are a plus (like the nextfit)

Another vote for what Wendy suggested. :)

Are the NextFit and Pria the only seats you're considering?

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
The multiple recline positions are only so you can achieve the proper angle for installation easily, not for reclining 'on the fly' when the kiddo starts getting sleepy. Still, it's a nice feature for getting the proper installation.

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
The multiple recline positions are only so you can achieve the proper angle for installation easily, not for reclining 'on the fly' when the kiddo starts getting sleepy. Still, it's a nice feature for getting the proper installation.

:yeahthat:

At 26.5" at not quite six months old, he is considered quite tall (between 87th and 90th percentile) If he stays on that growth line, he will probably hit 40" around, or just after, his third birthday. That could become problematic if you want the Pria and you want to rear-face your child to age 4 (this might not be your goal, but I'm just saying. :)).

You might also want to consider the Evenflo Sureride, Diono Radian, or Graco MySize70/Size4Me/Headwise. These seats, particularly the Sureride and the Graco triplets :)p), in addition to the Chicco Nextfit, should last your child a very long time.

MaddieMae

How big is your son's head? The Pria's head cushions are huge....I had it and returned it. DD's head is 90% + and when I had her in it at 5 months of age she didn't have a ton of growing room. I know someone else on here said they had to squish their son's head into the head cushions because he also had a big head. Just something more to consider. It is very plush and comfy - but the Nextfit is too. We love ours (we have two). I don't really have the should pad issues others do (yet anyways)

woemare00

What shoulder pad issue are you talking about?
My son is 64% for length and head is 50%

How big is your son's head? The Pria's head cushions are huge....I had it and returned it. DD's head is 90% + and when I had her in it at 5 months of age she didn't have a ton of growing room. I know someone else on here said they had to squish their son's head into the head cushions because he also had a big head. Just something more to consider. It is very plush and comfy - but the Nextfit is too. We love ours (we have two). I don't really have the should pad issues others do (yet anyways)

woemare00

Really? I was told its for when your kid falls asleep...lol. are the gracos cheap and hard to install/swap? (All relaid info) I plan to rf until 2

:yeahthat:

At 26.5" at not quite six months old, he is considered quite tall (between 87th and 90th percentile) If he stays on that growth line, he will probably hit 40" around, or just after, his third birthday. That could become problematic if you want the Pria and you want to rear-face your child to age 4 (this might not be your goal, but I'm just saying. :)).

You might also want to consider the Evenflo Sureride, Diono Radian, or Graco MySize70/Size4Me/Headwise. These seats, particularly the Sureride and the Graco triplets :)p), in addition to the Chicco Nextfit, should last your child a very long time.

Kel

RFing to 2 is great! That was my goal when I first come here. I ended up RFing DS past 3, and I'm thinking DD will make it till 4!! It's sooo much safer!

Anyway, I really loved our Pria. It was super cushy, lots of leg room, and my son's head was big. He never had an issue. But if I had a tall child, I'd probably go with the ones the PPs mentioned. Only because you may change your mind and want to keep him RFing. Their feet don't dangle RFing, and its easier to sleep also.

I really like my Raidians for taller babies. They have great covers, will get most kids to 4 RFing, and have memory foam under the bum. Also, it's entire cover is removable. You can't remove the headrest cover on the pria. That bugs me, but I like washing my covers ALOT. If I were trying to save $s, I would get a sureride. It has very tall top slots for FFing down the road.

woemare00

Its not that i want to save money. But if i can save money, i will :) so which is the least wide? We have a jeep patriot. And it can get quite tight back there. I want the nextfit but i also like the pria. Can the nextfits seat cover be washed?
I would love a radian (those are the first to be recommended) but i hate how tall and gawky they look.

I am still so indecisive on what to get.

RFing to 2 is great! That was my goal when I first come here. I ended up RFing DS past 3, and I'm thinking DD will make it till 4!! It's sooo much safer!

Anyway, I really loved our Pria. It was super cushy, lots of leg room, and my son's head was big. He never had an issue. But if I had a tall child, I'd probably go with the ones the PPs mentioned. Only because you may change your mind and want to keep him RFing. Their feet don't dangle RFing, and its easier to sleep also.

I really like my Raidians for taller babies. They have great covers, will get most kids to 4 RFing, and have memory foam under the bum. Also, it's entire cover is removable. You can't remove the headrest cover on the pria. That bugs me, but I like washing my covers ALOT. If I were trying to save $s, I would get a sureride. It has very tall top slots for FFing down the road.

jasminegrl

i've removed the headrest cover on the Pria, it most definitely comes off, my son literally puked all over and there was no way spot cleaning was going to cut it, the air bubbles underneath the cover aren't removable.

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
What shoulder pad issue are you talking about?
My son is 64% for length and head is 50%

Huh. I wonder what's wrong with the online calculator I used. It said he is 87% for length (I used a made up birthdate of 2/27/13 since you said he is on the verge of 6 months).

Now that I just went and checked the ACTUAL CDC growth charts, you're right that he is closer to half way between the 50% and 75% lines.

I guess the online calculator I used is not all that accurate! :eek:

rxmommy

This is good to know! I will cross that off my list. My son's head is gigantic. :spit: We're talking 97th %tile for head when the rest of him hovers around 10%.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC