Question Tech courses

thekatie

Is there anyone you can write to or call asking for a course to be offered in your area? The only course in my area I've ever seen was when J2 was still EBF and I couldn't find anyone to watch him. Since then, I haven't seen any courses anywhere near me (within 3 hours drive). Is it just "wait and hope"?

ADS

Baylor

I hear this..

I have been looking and looking.. there used to be one right down the street from me but they have not had that one for 2 years now.

tracee877

I'm in the same boat. I have wanted to become a CPST for years but there is never one closer than 2 hours away. I just can't travel that far for 4-5 days.

sarahlove

The ones here are 2+ hours and usually controlled. I finally got in one but wasn't able to attend so its back to waiting for an open spot.

MissieCSZ

I'm in the Boston area which you would think would have a fair number of options but I have the same problem. There's one coming up in October but I can't take 3-4 days off work to go then. The instructors email address was listed with the course info so I emailed her to ask how often they were offered but she said she didn't know :(

MissieCSZ

Are these things ever offered at least partially over weekends? Or evenings or something? You know for those of us with...jobs...

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
Are these things ever offered at least partially over weekends? Or evenings or something? You know for those of us with...jobs...

I think occasionally they have some classes split among weekends, but usually it's during the week because the majority of people take the class as part of their job.

Just evenings would be impossible as the class basically includes 8-hour days.

The best thing to do is to contact someone with your locals SafeKids chapter/coalition to see if they're planning any classes. Sometimes they're posted on the website months in advance and sometimes there's very little notice.

Certification is national, so check other places, too, if you live near the border of another state, or if you have family you can go visit for a week, etc.

Baylor

We all have jobs even if we stay home. ;) I have kids that I need to find child care for if I would take the course. It is why I missed out on the last one in my area. I had no one to watch the kids so early.

It is a challenge to take the course for most people I think.

thekatie

The best thing to do is to contact someone with your locals SafeKids chapter/coalition to see if they're planning any classes. Sometimes they're posted on the website months in advance and sometimes there's very little notice.

Thank you, I will!

Certification is national, so check other places, too, if you live near the border of another state, or if you have family you can go visit for a week, etc.

I'm in the Memphis area, so I check Tennessee, Mississippi and Arkansas :)

thekatie

It all depends on how the course is scheduled. For a 2 day back-to-back I could get a babysitter and go 3ish hours away (because it would all be one lump), but if it was 3 Fridays in a row it would have to be closer, like an hour at most. But West Memphis is maybe 30 minutes from my house, I'm right by the river. The closest Arkansas course I saw listed was in Benton - but if courses get added with little notice I might miss one.

MissieCSZ

Well, if you can find a class in AR that you can attend, let me know. If there is room, I can try to help get you in it.

Is there more to getting into a course than just signing up for one when space is available?

Also, other than police/firefighters, what are the jobs that would require this certification?

I didn't intend to imply that SAHMs don't work of course. I am a SAHM in summer (teacher) and it is certainly a lot of work! But teaching is not at all a flexible job, taking days off even if I can spare the sick days (which I can't) involves leaving lesson plans etc. It is more work than actually going to work lol.

What I meant was some of these types of courses will split up the hours so that instead of going 2-3-4 days at a time you go for like 6 weeks for 3 hours every Wednesday night or something. But given how rarely they're offered at all, I guess there probably isn't enough demand to offer different schedules of it.

MommyShannon

Well, if you can find a class in AR that you can attend, let me know. If there is room, I can try to help get you in it.

Do you know who the course is for in Benton in September? I could beg DH to take off if its one I could get into. There aren't many techs in my area. I'd love to get involved with some somehow.

trippsmom

CPST Instructor
Is there more to getting into a course than just signing up for one when space is available?

Also, other than police/firefighters, what are the jobs that would require this certification?

I didn't intend to imply that SAHMs don't work of course. I am a SAHM in summer (teacher) and it is certainly a lot of work! But teaching is not at all a flexible job, taking days off even if I can spare the sick days (which I can't) involves leaving lesson plans etc. It is more work than actually going to work lol.

What I meant was some of these types of courses will split up the hours so that instead of going 2-3-4 days at a time you go for like 6 weeks for 3 hours every Wednesday night or something. But given how rarely they're offered at all, I guess there probably isn't enough demand to offer different schedules of it.

Most of the classes here are controlled. That means that outsiders can't just grab a spot. All, of which I'm aware, are paid for completely by the state CPSE office, all the way down to providing lunch and snacks for all students and teachers. I know some places provide the location and other times it is paid for by the CPSE office. These things limit the students who can attend. Recently, there was one on the Air Force base just north of here. You had to be approved to come in as a civilian student. Civilians all had to have background checks, etc..

Many times, when we split up a class it is to accommodate for scheduling for a particular group of students who are required to be certified as part of their job. Like some nurses only work 24 hrs a week in the NICU. They need her to continue to work the majority of her normal shift so she is in a class three-quarters of a workday per week for 3 weeks or whatever it is. I don't know specifically since I don't teach at those classes anyway. :)

trippsmom

CPST Instructor
Do you know who the course is for in Benton in September? I could beg DH to take off if its one I could get into. There aren't many techs in my area. I'd love to get involved with some somehow.

I've got one friend taking that one. Email Morry (sp). He is lead. You can email Holly, too. I can send you that. I'd love to have you!! I had something come up so I can't teach all week, but I'll be there Friday to work in cars and help with testing.

Karatesoftball

I actually sent an email to the only TECH in 25 miles afing when he does checks and explianing that i would love to take a course but the closest to me is 55 miles from me. He responded that he is trying to set up a class in this town and he would love to talk to me more about it, and he loves that a young mom that is certified may be more approachable than a police officer.

I am so excited. Hes on vacation until sunday but i cant wait to talk to him!!!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC