Question Optimal placement of these 3 car seats in '04 Odyssey

Q

Question from K

Hello!

I have an 04 Honda Odyssey. We have two captain's chairs in the middle row and a straight 3-across bench in the third row.

My kids:

- 4y8m tall boy harnessed in a Graco Nautilus. Seatbelt install due to weight.
- 2y8m average height girl in Graco MyRide. LATCH install.
- newborn coming in September, will be in Chicco KeyFit

I *think* my only option is to have my 4yo in the center spot in the third row. There's only one tether location in my van in that row that I'm able to spot (please let me know if there's other options!!). And if I'm understanding my manual correctly, I'll need that top tether.

Also, the seatbelt for that center 3rd row position is a weird thing. It has a lap belt, and then it has a separate shoulder belt that can attach to the lap belt. Do I need the shoulder belt with this installation?

When he outgrows the harness and goes to the high-backed booster, do I continue to use the tether?

I plan on having my younger two children in the second row. For ease of loading and unloading the three children as safely and efficiently as I can, does it matter which child is behind the driver's seat?

Also, I can move my captain's chairs to have a middle aisle or a side aisle. Any pro tips for the best way to do that?

THANK YOU!!

ADS

Pixelated

Moderator - CPST Instructor
I have some very excellent news for you :)

I have an 03 Odyssey, so I know from experience that this is probably your best option.

You can retrofit the outer two seating positions in the 3rd row with a tether anchor, at the cost of about $13 a piece if you have a torque wrench to install them yourself. They are covered by rubber plugs about 1.25" across and they're just under the lip of the where the tail gate closes, compared to the middle one that's down low by the floor. Order part # 82410-SE3-C01 from Honda.

I'm assuming your middle child is rear-facing? I would definitely slide your passenger side captain's chair toward the middle, leaving a side aisle to access the 3rd row. Install the baby's seat on this chair with LATCH. You can slide that chair forward if needed to access the 3rd row, which is easier to do with only an infant base on it. Do you know how to shift your captain's chair over? I usually remove the head rest of the 2nd row RFing child so they can see the 3rd row FF. Make sure to stow it somewhere that it won't become a projectile.

Re the 3rd row middle belt. When you install a car seat with it you leave the shoulder part tucked up into the ceiling and install using only the lap belt. Are you familiar with this type of install? Your 3rd row bench can recline or be more upright and I don't think there are any restrictions in the manual (haven't checked lately) about what position it needs to be in, so choose one that isn't bolt upright nor extremely reclined and it should be a pretty simple installation. Outboard should be easy too as your lap/shoulder belt locks by pulling it out slowly all the way and then letting it retract back in.

If you have any more questions please let us know.

Q

Question from K

Thank you! That is amazing -- I had no idea I could do that. And you even gave the part # I'll need! Too kind of you.

I'll get on that so we can get our new seat positions squared away.

Janina

I have some very excellent news for you :)

I have an 03 Odyssey, so I know from experience that this is probably your best option.

You can retrofit the outer two seating positions in the 3rd row with a tether anchor, at the cost of about $13 a piece if you have a torque wrench to install them yourself. They are covered by rubber plugs about 1.25" across and they're just under the lip of the where the tail gate closes, compared to the middle one that's down low by the floor. Order part # 82410-SE3-C01 from Honda.

I'm assuming your middle child is rear-facing? I would definitely slide your passenger side captain's chair toward the middle, leaving a side aisle to access the 3rd row. Install the baby's seat on this chair with LATCH. You can slide that chair forward if needed to access the 3rd row, which is easier to do with only an infant base on it. Do you know how to shift your captain's chair over? I usually remove the head rest of the 2nd row RFing child so they can see the 3rd row FF. Make sure to stow it somewhere that it won't become a projectile.

Re the 3rd row middle belt. When you install a car seat with it you leave the shoulder part tucked up into the ceiling and install using only the lap belt. Are you familiar with this type of install? Your 3rd row bench can recline or be more upright and I don't think there are any restrictions in the manual (haven't checked lately) about what position it needs to be in, so choose one that isn't bolt upright nor extremely reclined and it should be a pretty simple installation. Outboard should be easy too as your lap/shoulder belt locks by pulling it out slowly all the way and then letting it retract back in.

If you have any more questions please let us know.

Will installing the additional tethers work on a 2005 odyssey as well? Part numbers the same?

Q

Question from K

OP here. I ordered the parts via Honda and took it to the dealership today to have them installed. Was VERY surprised/disappointed to find out that whoever owned the van before me, had installed the center tether clip thing incorrectly. There was some sort of incorrect nut and bolt on there instead of the Honda one.

Glad the technician saw that.

We had trouble getting the outboard tether locations installed as-is. They had to cut around the surrounding plastic on the...I don't even know what it was called. Just the area around where the clips were supposed to go.

I really hope it's in there right!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC