Help me pick a birth to booster convertible seat for my sister...

Irishmama

I've been searching and searching here and my brain is fried. I need some opinions for my sister's baby due in October. This is her fourth, and she wants to skip the bucket this time. Her babies are in the 8-9 lb range at birth, so I assume this one will be too. Baby #3 fit in the Marathon from birth, she said, and outgrew it by height rf at 3 yo or so, still ff in it at 4 yo.

She wants a seat that will:
- ERF till 3-4 years old
- has good legroom
- rebound control
- must be an easy install
- well padded and cushy
- budget is around $200-250, but could go little higher for the right seat
- vehicle is a 2005 Nissan Quest, seat will likely be going in a captain's chair

If it was me, I'd get a seat that fits a newbie well, and then replace with an ERF seat when I had a better idea of height or weight limits being more important. She will not buy a second seat, however, and does not want to buy one now, sell it, and buy another later. She loves the MA65 #3 is in currently, and is considering another MA65 or RA50 but wants to know all her options. What would you pick to recommend and why?

She is currently looking at:
MA65/RA50 (has and loves, but 35 lb limit)
Marathon 70 (I don't think it will last her rf and lack of legroom)
Chicco Nextfit (I thought it has anti-rebound bolsters?)
True Fit Premier (35 lb rf limit)
Peg convertible (is it an easy install and will rf height be enough?)

I showed her my SureRide but she didn't like how high the sides were for leg room for rf later. I told her to look at the MySize/Size4Me/Headwise, but she ruled it out due to lack of anti-rebound. Radians are out, she needs a super easy install. I'm sorta stumped, I think the seat she wants doesn't exist! Please help me and thank you, thank you, thank you in advance for any input! :)

(Mods, I hope I picked the right forum. I guessed Chat since I am asking more for opinions rather than general factual info. Thanks!)

ADS

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
I am so relieved that she doesn't want a "3-in-1." When I first read your title, I thought she wanted a "all in one." :eek: (then I reread... you said "to," not "through.")

Wow. This is a tough one. I too would have suggested one of the Graco "Size/Wise" (MySize70, Size4Me, Headwise70) seats. I guess with the choices there, I would probably lean towards the Peg convertible or the NextFit.

She may not go for the NextFit, though, because it doesn't have any actual anti-rebound features. (See here, under FAQ: http://www.chiccousa.com/nextfit/faqs.aspx) Howver, the answer Chicco gives here might be good information to pass along to your sister. :)

The Peg Perego convertible has an anti-rebound bar in Canada, but the US version doesn't. http://us.pegperego.com/babyproducts-catalog/2012/Primo+Viaggio+SIP+5_70+Convertible

Last edited:

MissieCSZ

I agree on the NextFit...it covers everything except the anti-rebound, and has a great rep for ease of installation in particular.

Thing is no one seat actually takes a kid from "birth to booster" and does them all well. :( Would she maybe pass down a seat from one of her older kids in a couple years who outgrows it, so that she wouldn't have to buy another seat?

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
Thing is no one seat actually takes a kid from "birth to booster" and does them all well. :(

I disagree.

In the definition of "birth to booster" that irishmama used, which is precisely "birth TO booster," not "birth THROUGH booster," there are plenty of seats that will take children from birth to booster (so birth to age 5-6) and will do it well (as RF seats and as FF seats). Many of the seats named above will fit an average newborn quite well, and will also fit an average toddler, preschooler, and yound schoolager.

MissieCSZ

I disagree.

In the definition of "birth to booster" that irishmama used, which is precisely "birth TO booster," not "birth THROUGH booster," there are plenty of seats that will take children from birth to booster (so birth to age 5-6) and will do it well (as RF seats and as FF seats). Many of the seats named above will fit an average newborn quite well, and will also fit an average toddler, preschooler, and yound schoolager.

Ah. I was thinking she wanted the seat to be used as a booster too (reading comprehension fail). From what I know, seats that claim to go from birth THROUGH booster kind of suck at all of the functions they claim to serve.

MommyShannon

DD3 was 8#14oz. I love the MA70 and RA55 for her. Luckily, she's following in DD2's footsteps and becoming a small toddler. It's nice that she was big enough to skip an infant seat but small to last rf a long time now, lol. My big babies wouldn't have fit a MA65 from birth since the straps are so high. The MA70 was perfect plus I used the infant wedge to give more recline in the seat while keeping it installed fairly upright. It is shorter though the Peg is only slightly taller. Is there a taller convertible an older sibling is using that could be passed down and won't be expired in 3 years? I also have a TFP. It's DD2's primary seat. It works for DD3, but I just don't find it as cozy. I love her in the MA70. If weight isn't expected to be as big an issue as height, I might pick it though.

Carrie_R

Ambassador - CPS Technician
I would mention the Graco clones, again. I think they will do all she wants, and IMO what they DO do more than makes up for lack of antirebound. But, I am not a big antirebound person. If she is married to her list, then I would pick NextFit. Aside from her list, I think Radian is going to be her best bet - it usually fit newbs, it has anti-rebound, and it will get most kids to a safe booster age.

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
I would mention the Graco clones, again. I think they will do all she wants, and IMO what they DO do more than makes up for lack of antirebound. But, I am not a big antirebound person. If she is married to her list, then I would pick NextFit. Aside from her list, I think Radian is going to be her best bet - it usually fit newbs, it has anti-rebound, and it will get most kids to a safe booster age.

:yeahthat: to all of this!

Have her read the FAQ on the Chicco website (I linked it above). It addresses the "no anti-rebound" concern some parents have.

MissieCSZ

What about the pria?

Does that have the anti-rebound feature she wants? If so I agree. Although it's somewhat above her budget. I really wanted one but couldn't afford it :(

ETA: it has a "tiny fit" option for newbies [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Maxi-Cosi-Pria-Convertible-Total-Black/dp/B0052YO4WY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1376661232&sr=8-1&keywords=maxi-cosi+pria#productDetails"]Amazon.com: Maxi-Cosi Pria 70 Convertible Car Seat, Total Black: Baby[/ame]

YinzerMama

Does that have the anti-rebound feature she wants? If so I agree. Although it's somewhat above her budget. I really wanted one but couldn't afford it :(

ETA: it has a "tiny fit" option for newbies Amazon.com: Maxi-Cosi Pria 70 Convertible Car Seat, Total Black: Baby

Albee Baby has had a pria with tiny fit for 219 for a while. The color is off so it is cheap. I have been coveting it but I have a deep seated loathing for Dorel buckles.

http://www.albeebaby.com/maxi-cosi-...seat-with-tiny-fit-not-quite-total-black.html

The nextfit is a totally totally totally awesome seat if you can get over the strap covers. I wish I could. Eyeballing a Peg Perego because of that although the height and leg room are not as generous rf. Currently have my little guy rf in a classic marathon which expires next year. Going to try to hold off till closer till then to buy something new - have to wait and see if he stays small. The weight limit is, well, limiting. Height wise the peg is 1/2 inch shorter, but it might have a touch more leg room. I have read conflicting numbers on bow much. I feel like measuring rf leg room is kind of an inexact science so i really need to see it in the flesh i think. When the time comes if classic MAs are still made I might just buy a new one if it looks like the weight limit will work out - they're cheap and simple.

Irishmama

Thanks so much everyone for all the replies and input! :love:

I am so relieved that she doesn't want a "3-in-1." When I first read your title, I thought she wanted a "all in one." :eek: (then I reread... you said "to," not "through.")

Wow. This is a tough one. I too would have suggested one of the Graco "Size/Wise" (MySize70, Size4Me, Headwise70) seats. I guess with the choices there, I would probably lean towards the Peg convertible or the NextFit.

She may not go for the NextFit, though, because it doesn't have any actual anti-rebound features. (See here, under FAQ: http://www.chiccousa.com/nextfit/faqs.aspx) Howver, the answer Chicco gives here might be good information to pass along to your sister. :)

The Peg Perego convertible has an anti-rebound bar in Canada, but the US version doesn't. http://us.pegperego.com/babyproducts-catalog/2012/Primo+Viaggio+SIP+5_70+Convertible

LOL, nope, no 3-in-1's. I taught her that long ago. ;)

I'll definitely pass along that information about the anti-rebound! I thought somehow that the Nextfit had rebound bolsters, like the SureRide does to pass Canadian testing? She's been pretty set on anti-rebound, I'm not sure why? I tried to steer her towards the Graco clones, or the SureRide, but she's been pretty set. She also thought the sides on both would be too seep to allow for flopping legs over the side for more leg room rf later on. I know the Graco should have ample enough rf leg room depth to make up for that, but she said no. I will mention it to her again though.

I thought Peg recently announced it allows rf tethering on it's convertible?

I think it will be her best bet, although I've heard the padding in the bum may leave a bit to be desired. The Radians would definitely fit her requirements, but it's got to be a guaranteed easy peasy install. ;)

This is her last baby, so no more to pass a seat down to. The only other seats are the MA65 the 4 yo is currently in that has 1.5 left, and HBTB for her 6 and 8 yo. I suppose if the MA65 got the 4 yo to almost 3.5 rf, than maybe the slightly shorter shell of the MA70 might be enough if baby was the same size or smaller. Her minimum rf goal is 3, so maybe. I do think the TFP might be worth a second look for her, all 3 of her other kids were 35 lbs around 3.5 years, and #3 outgrew the MA65 by height before weight, so maybe.

I'll pass everything along and ask her to prioritize her list, and go from there. :)

ETA: I thanked everyone, but apparently I ran out of thanks! I will add thanks when I reset tomorrow.

1mommy

I'll definitely pass along that information about the anti-rebound! I thought somehow that the Nextfit had rebound bolsters, like the SureRide does to pass Canadian testing? She's been pretty set on anti-rebound, I'm not sure why?

I think only Canadian versions of seats have rebound bolsters, they change the design in order to make it pass the Canadian tests. I think* currently US seats only have a tether or anti-rebound bar.

carseatmama007

I would do a Radian. I don't find the install all that complicated, especially not RF. I loved installing that seat RF.. it was so much easier than the Marathon we had. I don't know... it just seems like the Radian meets all her qualifications and she could easily learn how to install it..

nannykates

I also don't find radian installs difficult. If she didn't want to deal with the front to back space issue her 4yo could use it and baby in the marathon while baby grows into it.

Pixelated

Moderator - CPST Instructor
I think only Canadian versions of seats have rebound bolsters, they change the design in order to make it pass the Canadian tests. I think* currently US seats only have a tether or anti-rebound bar.

The NextFit isn't in Canada yet, although I was told by the Chicco distributor that it passes the Canadian anti-rebound standard as-is and we won't see any changes. However, as it's not actually HERE yet, and whether official testing had yet happened when we had that conversation, I don't know.

The SureFit isn't here yet either, so who knows what, if any, structural changes may appear for our market.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC