Infant seats outgrown by weight?

MissieCSZ

It's generally better, if you have two identical seats except one has a higher weight limit, to go for the higher one--because why not? But I'm wondering if there are kids who really outgrow their infant bucket seats by weight first when the limits are usually 30-35 pounds now. My son is almost 2 and weighs 24lbs. He's light for his age, but he's also short and he still outgrew our keyfit 30 when he was under 20 lbs. I was trying to picture a baby that would be short enough to fit in the keyfit and still weigh over 30 lbs--I'm sure it's happened, but how often? And with that in mind, would you advise someone to pay extra for a 35lb seat over a 30lb seat due to worry about outgrowing by weight?

ADS

bpirof

My lo is 22 lbs and 32 inches, he could still fit in his keyfit with the 1 inch rule bc he has really long legs, shorter torso, but I doubt he would make it to 30 lbs, my niece is about 30 lbs at 2.5 yrs and she loved to cling in his infant seat when we were using it, she could strap herself in perfectly still but was just barely too fall for it, I think it is rare for a kid to outgrow weight first but possible in some cases

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
I don't think it is common for children to outgrow infant seats by weight before height (I'm not saying it doesn't happen, but that it is not common).

Therefore, if you had two identical seats, with the same height shell, same harness, same base, etc., but with different weight limits, I would only pay extra for the higher weight limit if the higher weight limit is logical and feasible. I wouldn't pay extra for a bucket with a 35 lb. limit, but a 29" limit, or for a bucket with a 30 lb. limit, but a 26" limit.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC