Vent Never heard this one before..

libranbutterfly

One of my parents friends has 10 month old twins. She posted about their checkup and weights, one was 24 lbs. I casually mentioned that is was time for her to get a new seat, and she said she had seat limit of the infant seat and it was not safe. She hasnt responded yet :( I would loan her Rayne's infant seat (higher weight limit) if she cant afford another one, but I am trying to sell it because I am broke. AND she can easily afford a scenera at least. Her other child is my brother's age (15) so she is going by 1990s standards. Hopefully she will listen.

ADS

libranbutterfly

I am not really sure if it nade a difference, but the smaller twin was weighed on the standing scale (would not sit/lie on the baby scale) a d bigger one was on the baby scale

jacqui276

I am not really sure if it nade a difference, but the smaller twin was weighed on the standing scale (would not sit/lie on the baby scale) a d bigger one was on the baby scale

As long as the little one stood nicely on the standing scale and didn't hold on to anybody/anything, it shouldn't make a difference for weight.

Hopefully they get the bigger twin a new seat though. It's frustrating when people don't understand why it's an issue.

Baylor

Im wondering at 10 months if that is possible. I mean would a 10 month old stand there without help or holding on? I don't know..

It is a shame they didn't get a bucket that went to 35lbs..

trippsmom

CPST Instructor
Im wondering at 10 months if that is possible. I mean would a 10 month old stand there without help or holding on? I don't know..

Yes, it is possible. My ds walked at 6.75 months. I don't see why any other child couldn't be standing alone at 10m, unless limited by a physical handicap.

super_grape

2 of mine walked at 10 months and the younger of the two was standing on the drs scale alone, at that point:).

skylinphoto

My dd stood unsupported around 8 months and was walking soon after! Totally possible.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 2 using Car-Seat.Org

Baylor

2 of mine walked at 10 months and the younger of the two was standing on the drs scale alone, at that point:).

My last son walked at 10 months but would not have stood still on a scale without holding onto someone or something.

My point was I wonder if it was an accurate weight as PP had suggested it may not be.

thepote

That's a big kid if it is accurate. Hopefully the mom will be responsive. Maybe with heavier kids, if they appear to fit in the infant seat (like, head not hanging off the top) I could see why weight might be overlooked. Seems many people have it in their heads that the buckets are for the "first year" and take that really literally.

libranbutterfly

That's a big kid if it is accurate. Hopefully the mom will be responsive. Maybe with heavier kids, if they appear to fit in the infant seat (like, head not hanging off the top) I could see why weight might be overlooked. Seems many people have it in their heads that the buckets are for the "first year" and take that really literally.

I am hoping she is receptive. She is really nice, and has asked me advice on other things with them (My mom told her I was the one to ask) Like I said, I would at the VERY least loan her my 30 lb infant seat, but that doesnt help keep them RF past their birthday :(

jjordan

My last son walked at 10 months but would not have stood still on a scale without holding onto someone or something.

My point was I wonder if it was an accurate weight as PP had suggested it may not be.

IME "standing" scales meant for adults are not necessarily accurate for little kids. They are better if the parent weighs him/herself holding the child and then alone and you subtract the weights, but even then it is easy to be off by 1-2 pounds.

trippsmom

CPST Instructor
IME "standing" scales meant for adults are not necessarily accurate for little kids. They are better if the parent weighs him/herself holding the child and then alone and you subtract the weights, but even then it is easy to be off by 1-2 pounds.

I think it depends on the scale. I have a $40 digital scale. I weighed dd1 and two after their last appointments (we came straight home) and both weighed the same. Our ped uses them for any little kid that doesn't want to sit and they even have one with a handle bar that children can use to stabilize themselves while being weighed.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC