Foonf or Radian RXT for '05 Prius and '12 Outback? with bonus center install questions...

DanielleCT

Hello, my 11 month old is reaching the height limit on her Chicco Keyfit 30 so I am looking for a new seat before her next growth spurt. Right now it's between a Foonf and a Radian RXT, but I'm hoping you guys could let me know if I'm on the right track here. I've been doing tons of research and seem to be suffering from Analysis Paralysis!

I want a seat that will last her until she outgrows it- I don't plan on buying anything else unless something truly revolutionary in terms of safety comes out. I'm open to any seat, but I am specifically looking for the safest way to RF her until 3yo (or longer). I know there's no real way to prove what is the safest car seat, and I find that so frustrating.

The foonf is appealing to me for a few reasons. First, I perceive it to have better side impact safety than the Radian (no idea if this is true). It also seems to be easier to install. Finally, if we don't make it FFing much past 3, the foonf seems to be safer in a FF situation. It also looks very easy to clean.

A couple of the cons of the foonf (pros for the Radian) is that the Radian looks more comfortable for toddlers - the foonf seems like it might get cramped. The Radian is obviously a better price (we will need two seats), but that's not a dealbreaker for the foonf. Visibility in the foonf seems like it might be an issue (I am only 5' tall and I drive the Prius). It also seems harder to place a RF toddler into the foonf due to the high base, and I'm concerned that my egg-shaped Prius would make this even worse.

Anyone have any experience with these seats in these particular cars? Am I missing a better seat for our needs? If not, opinions on the Foonf vs Radian?

NOW, the install questions. Neither the Prius or the Outback have center LATCH installs. Is it safer to keep her in the LATCH on an outboard seat, or should I move her into the center with the convertible seat? From what I read, the Outback only goes toa total of 60 pounds with LATCH anyway (My girl is a lightweight - about 20 pounds now and 29.5" tall with long legs, but those seats are heavy!)

ADS

CTPDMom

Ambassador - CPS Technician
Hi Danielle, welcome to CSO! I'm a 'neighbor', also in CT. :D

Something to keep in mind...the vast majority of convertibles on the market with a 35 or 40lb rear-facing limit will easily get the majority of kids to age 2 rear-facing. Many of these, ones with taller shells and higher height limits, will get many kids easily to age 3...or beyond. So you do have plenty of choices.

I've yet to see a Foonf in real life, so I can't comment much on that. Radians do have low sides, as you know, and that is sometimes a pro and sometimes a con I think. There is NO seat that is perfect.

As for LATCH...it's not safer. The safest install is with whatever method gives you the better install. For all seats/cars/seating positions there IS a limit on LATCH anyway...so you'll ultimately need to choose seats that will let you install properly with the seat belt. Having the ability to LATCH early on is a bonus, imo. As for center or side...statistically it IS safer in the center position but that statistic is not so huge that it is UNsafe to be outboard...just safER to be center. Sometimes an outboard seating position is a necessity and that's ok.

What year, make and model of vehicle do you drive? And is there also a secondary vehicle?

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
Hello, and welcome to car-seat.org!

I echo everything CTPDMom said above. :) Well, I echo everything except the Connecticut part. :p

I also wanted to add that some people have found the Foonf to be problematic in the Prius because of how high up it is, and how low the contour of the door is. It makes it a tight fit!

If you really like the Foonf, though, you could always get one for the Outback, and then a Radian for the Prius. :)

DanielleCT

Yup - '05 Prius and '12 Outback! Sorry, I have that in the title but I should have put that in the post as well. The Prius is my car, and my husband drives the Outback. We split daycare dropoff/pickup, but if we go out as a family, we're always in the Outback.

I'm thinking of maybe getting one Foonf to try out first and see how it fits in each car. If it doesn't work, I'll grab the Radian for the Prius and stick the Foonf in the Outback.

Ultimately, the Foonf might work out in the Outback because I don't want to have to deal with the Radian's angle adjuster. My husband will probably need to occasionally take that seat in and out for Home Depot runs, so something easier to install will be good for him. He's not going to have a lot of patience with car seats. Can anyone suggest a different seat that is easy to install and has a good weight/height limit for the RF? I did look at the NextFit briefly, but for the $$$ I liked the Radian better.

The Prius/Foonf room issue Patriot201 points out is exactly the issue I am concerned with. It's VERY hard to get things in the backseat due to the way the window slopes down. I'm thinking it might actually be easier to get her in there with the center seat install... She can climb on the backseat and get herself in.

So about the Foonf - is that 40% force reduction in FF seat a big deal? Because it sounds like it is to me, and that's the most compelling reason for me to purchase. I'm less concerned about what she rear faces in, but more concerned about what happens when she is turned around in a few years.

Thanks so much!

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
The Prius/Foonf room issue Patriot201 points out is exactly the issue I am concerned with. It's VERY hard to get things in the backseat due to the way the window slopes down. I'm thinking it might actually be easier to get her in there with the center seat install... She can climb on the backseat and get herself in.

That's always a good option! I like it much better when kids are able to climb into the seat themselves and I just need to buckle. :D

creideamh

I'm one who has had both in my 2006 Prius (same body as '05) and hated hated hated the Foonf in it. Granted, my DD is 2.5, but it was pure agony getting her in, and I couldn't see around it (5'6", though it would've probably been fine behind me.) She also couldn't get adjusted without hitting her head on the ceiling. Never had an issue seeing around the Radians, even with one in the center+angle adjuster. If it's between those 2, I'd choose Radian for the Prius any day. I'd actually choose it for our '10 Forester as well, same issue with the door frame.

DanielleCT

Creideamh, thanks for the input. I took a good look at my Prius before heading to the gym tonight, and it's pretty easy to see how it would totally block everything out of the already tiny back window.

I think I can get over my side-impact issue with the Radian if I install it in the center seat. Not sure what I will do if we have another kid, but I'll probably have a new car by then so it might not ever be an issue.

Last edited:

DanielleCT

UPDATE! Checking out the Peg Primo Viaggio...

Update! I did some additional research and I've decided to try out the Peg Perego Primo Viaggio in my Prius and the Clek Foonf in the Outback. Something about the RXT just doesn't sit right with me, everything I've read is giving me the impression that it is tricky to use. Plus, I think I just like the idea of a more enclosed seat.

The Peg also has a clear plus because it will be easier to travel with (I intend to put her in the carseat on planes). I also decided I really want to try RF until four after doing some more reading.

Now, my only question is this: The Peg is very cushy, and the Foonf has very little padding, so I'm worried that she will hate one of the seats. Anyone experience this? I'd originally wanted two of the same carseats to avoid this, which is still an option, I just really want a Clek too!

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
The Peg is a great seat, but it won't last as long RF as the Radian would. It should certainly get your daughter to age 2 RF, but I'm not sure how much longer after that she will fit in the Peg. It could be two months, or it could be two years. It is hard to know.

At 11 months, 20 pounds, and 29.5", it seems your daughter is just below average for weight and above average for height. It is her height that I'd worry could restrict the longevity of the Peg. You said your goal is to RF to age 3 or longer. That might be a problem in the Peg. Maybe.

ebp913

The Peg is a great seat, but it won't last as long RF as the Radian would. It should certainly get your daughter to age 2 RF, but I'm not sure how much longer after that she will fit in the Peg. It could be two months, or it could be two years. It is hard to know.

At 11 months, 20 pounds, and 29.5", it seems your daughter is just below average for weight and above average for height. It is her height that I'd worry could restrict the longevity of the Peg. You said your goal is to RF to age 3 or longer. That might be a problem in the Peg. Maybe.

I recall reading here that the Peg is .5 inches shorter than the Radian at it's max rear facing height. Poster CuddlyMonsters here had her 87th percentile son outgrow it at 3.5 years old rear facing.

It is a little smaller than the Radian but for a more average kid, I would expect you'd make it quite a long time rear facing. I had one in my Prius before I sold it and it was easy to get my daughter in and out.

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
I recall reading here that the Peg is .5 inches shorter than the Radian at it's max rear facing height. Poster CuddlyMonsters here had her 87th percentile son outgrow it at 3.5 years old rear facing.

That's incredible to me because my friend's son is about 1.5" too tall to RF in the Peg, but has more than enough room to grow in the Radian.

The Radian is shorter than the other ERF seats mentioned above, so the Peg is even shorter than the Radian. It isn't a tiny seat by any means, but is smaller than the other ERF seats mentioned above.

DanielleCT

Yeah, I had been reading up on the Peg RF height limits and came to the conclusion that it's shorter the Radian, but not by too much. Although the differing seat depth/angle might actually make the Peg be outgrown more quickly. At any rate, I'm not sure I want to pay that much for a seat without rebound control. Of course, that's another one of those things we can't be sure is safer, but I think I would prefer to have it, mainly because Canada requires it and they might have a reason for it since they can actually see test results (I realize that could be completely backwards logic).

So, I had decided to go back to the original plan of a Foonf for the Subie and an RXT for the Prius. Went to order the RXT, but the angle adjuster is out of stock for awhile and it seems like I would need them for both cars. She's going to outgrow her Keyfit pretty soon, so I can't wait for it. I'm ordering a Foonf now and we'll see how that goes. I really suspect it will be too high for both cars, but I do want to give it a try.

creideamh

Peg now allows RF tethering, if that helps sway you... ;) though the Canadian rebound bar would be pretty nice.
I've never tried one, but I know someone else on here that also hated the Foonf in her Prius (same issues as me) totally loves the Peg in it.

DanielleCT

I have a Peg and a Foonf coming tomorrow! We'll see how it goes. I'm glad I can tether the Peg, that does help. My preference is to have the same seat in each car, so we will only have to learn how to install one car seat. So the foonf will have to majorly impress me in order for it to stay in the subaru. I'll update when we get them in...

Last edited:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC