Aton Problems?

JCsMomma

I thought I remember reading about someone having issues with the harness getting stuck in the base when trying to adjust it, but I must be searching incorrectly (or imagining things).

This weekend we went to the drive-in so I had the baby out of his seat. He is still so little so it's easier for me to get him back in if I loosen the harness first. But, I could not get the harness to retighten with the seat snapped into the base. I had to take it out, tighten the harness, and then snap it back into the base. I tried again yesterday just to see, and it did the same thing. I realize most of the time the seat won't be in the base when I'm adjusting it for now, but as the baby gets bigger I won't always carry the bucket in and out of the car. So it's definitely annoying. I also wonder if whatever it is getting caught up on could break, or cause the harness to have issues?

Also, I had read the canopy wasn't the greatest, but wow it's pretty bad! It looks great and I do love how it hides, but it's pretty flimsy and one of the little plastic pieces that attach to the rods through the canopy is already broken and my baby is only 5 weeks old :(

I love how light the seat is and the easy install with & without the base, but I guess I expected a little closer to perfection for the price (and I bought an older model to save money!)...

ADS

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Jennie posted about that in her carseatblog review.

I only loosened and tightened off the base while she was little, we didn't even try adjusting on the base until she was at a much higher harness setting, where it doesn't seem to be an issue.

My canopy broke, they replaced it under warranty and emailed videos showing how to reattach it. I didn't have problems with the second one breaking.

Last edited:

JCsMomma

I bet that is where I read it. Thank you! I will have to avoid adjusting it while in the base for now and hope it isn't an issue when he's bigger.

I need to send an email about the canopy. Maybe I just got a dud ;)

Kecia

Admin - CPST Instructor
OP - just curious - which version of the Aton do you have? Is it the new Aton 2 with load leg?

JCsMomma

No, it's the regular Aton. I wonder if the new base has the same issue.

I like the seat enough to deal with the quirks. I'm glad it isn't any more than an inconvenience!

Kecia

Admin - CPST Instructor
Personally, I have a major problem with this issue. It might be an inconvenience for a tech or someone who is very carseat savvy but for the average parent who will mess up every time you give them an opportunity to mess up - this is an unacceptable design flaw in a very expensive seat. Even value-priced Evenflo and Dorel infant seats can have the harness adjusted properly with the seat in the base.

JCsMomma

Personally, I have a major problem with this issue. It might be an inconvenience for a tech or someone who is very carseat savvy but for the average parent who will mess up every time you give them an opportunity to mess up - this is an unacceptable design flaw in a very expensive seat. Even value-priced Evenflo and Dorel infant seats can have the harness adjusted properly with the seat in the base.

That is a very good point.

A hole in the harness? That sounds really bad... Hopefully they'll chime in.

MotoMommaNH

The Car Seat Lady did a review on her Aton. If I can find the link I'll post...she did have some issues with the canopy breaking as well but I don't remember any other issues...:question:

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
The Car Seat Lady did a review on her Aton. If I can find the link I'll post...she did have some issues with the canopy breaking as well but I don't remember any other issues...:question:

It's not something you'd notice unless you're trying to tighten the harness with the seat in the base. It also probably wouldn't happen if a child were on a higher harness height.

JCsMomma

It's not something you'd notice unless you're trying to tighten the harness with the seat in the base. It also probably wouldn't happen if a child were on a higher harness height.

Exactly. My baby is almost 6 weeks old and we just came across it. I am tempted to try and move up the harness just to see if it is still an issue so we know, but I most likely won't until I actually have to move the straps up. This four kids thing is keeping me busy lol ;)

bnsnyde

We have the Aton 2. I had the hole (really more of a minor fray area) in the strap on back, which was caused by putting the seat into the base without a child (hence loose straps, got caught). So, make sure you tighten those straps when putting it in base.

I tried just today to tighten with the child in the seat, in the base (as I removed just her to go grocery shopping, since the seat does not fit in a Whole Foods cart anyway; put her on a towel laying in the cart, then had almost no grocery room, lol).

She (3 months and tall) is on the second setting. It was not impossible but certainly not easy to tighten.
I actually pull VERY hard to get it tight no matter what, and it's not easy. It just does not seem to go very tight. And my baby pushes the chest clip down, somehow. Not sure how to explain it but the straps seem too wide apart as well. Like slipping is a potential issue.

I like the seat but I'd change some things. Love the load leg! And the side impact protection.
My canopy has not broken even with 2-year-old brother being rough with it.

JCsMomma

We have the Aton 2. I had the hole (really more of a minor fray area) in the strap on back, which was caused by putting the seat into the base without a child (hence loose straps, got caught). So, make sure you tighten those straps when putting it in base.

I tried just today to tighten with the child in the seat, in the base (as I removed just her to go grocery shopping, since the seat does not fit in a Whole Foods cart anyway; put her on a towel laying in the cart, then had almost no grocery room, lol).

She (3 months and tall) is on the second setting. It was not impossible but certainly not easy to tighten.
I actually pull VERY hard to get it tight no matter what, and it's not easy. It just does not seem to go very tight. And my baby pushes the chest clip down, somehow. Not sure how to explain it but the straps seem too wide apart as well. Like slipping is a potential issue.

I like the seat but I'd change some things. Love the load leg! And the side impact protection.
My canopy has not broken even with 2-year-old brother being rough with it.

Well that's discouraging. I will keep using the seat mainly because I love the size and weight of it (my 2 year old is 30+ lbs and sometimes I need to pick up both her and the baby). I know to be sure the harness is tightened appropriately, etc., but Kecia is right. It shouldn't be so difficult to use properly.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC