Oobr question

KaysKidz

Senior Community Member
For those of you that have an Oobr and use it LATCHED, what kind of seat belts due you have? I have a 2011 Traverse with rigid buckle stalks in the seating positions with LATCH. The Oobr is so wide that there is NO WAY my kids will ever be able to buckle on their own and it's a ROYAL PITA for me! I had to use it this weekend for one of my twins who had an accident in his Affix and OMG, I wanted to throw it on the side of the road! The only seating position in my car with a flexible belt that may work, doesn't have LATCH. Kind of defeats the purpose! I just don't know what kind of vehicle this seat could actually work in!

ADS

bree

Car-Seat.Org Ambassador
It works in my Volvo XC60, but the buckle stalks are flexible and fairly low. DD can buckle it (she's been able to buckle it since she was 7), but when DS occasionally rides in it (he'll be 6 next month), he can't.

I didn't like how the Oobr worked in my husband's Chevy Malibu LATCHed. The buckle stalk rested on the LATCH connectors, and I just wasn't comfortable with the setup, so I can see how it would have issues in certain vehicles. Sorry it isn't working for you! :)

Last edited:

monstah

We have rigid, forward of the bight buckle stalks and it works great. Super easy to buckle. I'm sorry it's not working out for you. :(

carseatmama007

It works in my Volvo XC60, but the buckle stalks are flexible and fairly low. DD can buckle it (she's been able to buckle it since she was 7), but when DS occasionally rides in it (he'll be 6 next month), he can't.

I didn't like how the Oobr worked in my husband's Chevy Malibu LATCHed. The buckle stalk rested on the LATCH connectors, and I just wasn't comfortable with the setup, so I can see how it would have issues in certain vehicles. Sorry it isn't working for you! :)

What seating position did you try the Oobr in with the Malibu? I've got a Malibu as well (2006) and I've been wondering what the fit with rigid LATCH would be with the Oobr. I'm almost certain it would not work in the center or behind the driver, but I was thinking behind the passenger would be OK.

bree

Car-Seat.Org Ambassador
What seating position did you try the Oobr in with the Malibu? I've got a Malibu as well (2006) and I've been wondering what the fit with rigid LATCH would be with the Oobr. I'm almost certain it would not work in the center or behind the driver, but I was thinking behind the passenger would be OK.

I put it behind the passenger (there are overlapping LATCH positions in the driver's side and center in my Malibu). I have a 2008, after a redesign, so it may work in a different year. I have a picture somewhere of how the LATCH connector hits the buckle stalk. I'm about to take my kiddo to a dentist appointment, but tonight or tomorrow I'll find the pic and post it to give you an idea of the issue I had. :)

Clek CPST

I have my Oobr in an Outlook with the rigid buckle stalks most of the time, and I do find it difficult to buckle, but I've had difficulty with other latch'able boosters there too. I find the position that the buckle is rotated in to when you push it towards the seat back influences the ease of buckling. My car has buckles that are close to the lower anchors, but they're flexible so can be buckled easily enough.

I find the Olli easier to buckle than the Oobr in our Outlook, but the Oobr is usable.

There is a recall on some models of the GM crossovers in Canada for the seatbelt buckles potentially releasing - I believe it only involved the 08 and 09 model years, but might be worth checking. I know that our Outlook is an 07 and it wasn't affected.

I actually like rigid buckles so far as booster kids being able to buckle easier, but the spacing in the Outlook isn't the friendliest when it comes to where the lower anchors and buckle stalk are.

carseatmama007

I put it behind the passenger (there are overlapping LATCH positions in the driver's side and center in my Malibu). I have a 2008, after a redesign, so it may work in a different year. I have a picture somewhere of how the LATCH connector hits the buckle stalk. I'm about to take my kiddo to a dentist appointment, but tonight or tomorrow I'll find the pic and post it to give you an idea of the issue I had. :)

That would be great, thank you! We've got the overlapping LATCH positions on the driver/center sides as well (they are frustrating :rolleyes:))

bree

Car-Seat.Org Ambassador
That would be great, thank you! We've got the overlapping LATCH positions on the driver/center sides as well (they are frustrating :rolleyes:))

100_3357.jpg
100_3358.jpg

Here's the Oobr on my passenger side. I don't know if it would be considered an actual issue, but I didn't like how the LATCH connector was on top of the buckle stalk like that. I'm not sure if it would be an issue in other model years of the Malibu or even if it would bother anyone else, so it could be something that's totally fine and I'm just a weirdo to be bothered by it. :)

carseatmama007

View attachment 22479
View attachment 22478

Here's the Oobr on my passenger side. I don't know if it would be considered an actual issue, but I didn't like how the LATCH connector was on top of the buckle stalk like that. I'm not sure if it would be an issue in other model years of the Malibu or even if it would bother anyone else, so it could be something that's totally fine and I'm just a weirdo to be bothered by it. :)

Thanks!! I'm going to have to go check to see if our LATCH hooks are positioned up against the belt stalk like that as well. I'm pretty sure they are.

S

SoCalCarSeatMama

I have an Oobr and use it latched in my 2012 Dodge Durango as well as in my 2013 Dodge RAM 1500 Crew Cab. In the RAM I have three full sets of LATCH and all buckles are flexible. I haven't had any problems using it or my Olli in that vehicle in all positions. In my Durango I have two outboard full sets of LATCH and those outboard seating positions have a fixed rigid buckle. I can only use the Oobr and Olli on the passenger side. If I try either of them on the driver side I cannot get the latch plate to go into the buckle. The spacing between the driver and passenger side is only 1/2 inch difference but that was all it took to make them incompatible latched on the driver side. And I have even tried sliding them over on the anchors as far as they will go towards the door. No go.

MissieCSZ

Sort of a general latchable booster question (and feel free to ignore me if this is too off topic)...if you're going to latch it and then also use the seatbelt across the child, isn't that against "the rules" as far as using both latch and the seatbelt? Or is it okay because they're designed to work with both?

Keeyamah

Sort of a general latchable booster question (and feel free to ignore me if this is too off topic)...if you're going to latch it and then also use the seatbelt across the child, isn't that against "the rules" as far as using both latch and the seatbelt? Or is it okay because they're designed to work with both?

It's ok because the LATCH is only holding the seat in place, generally in the event of an accident while the seat is unoccupied. Which is why you are supposed to buckle a booster when it's not occupied. So the only thing holding the child in place is the seat belt. Unlike a harnessed seat, where the LATCH strap or seatbelt are holding the seat and child.

Just to confuse you the Clek Foonf allows for seatbelt and LATCH in FFing installs :). But it seems to be the exception to the rule.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC