What exactly is the point of a LATCH system?

U

Unregistered

I thought that it was safer for the car seat to be attached by the LATCH rather than the seat belt. But the more I read it seems like maybe the LATCH system is just more for ease of installation of car seats. Can someone clear this up for me?
Thanks!

ADS

mamamia

LATCH stands for lower anchors and tethers for children. THe lower anchors do make installation easier than belt installation in some cars. Whichever method gives the better installation is the safer method for that combination of vehicle and child restraint. Since upwards of 80% of seats are installed improperly the lower anchors may be resulting in a lower misuse rate since for the most part lower anchor installation is more straight forward than belt installation.

The "tether" part is a safety issue. Harnessed seats now all come with a top tether for forward facing use. The use of a top tether significantly reduces the amount of forward head excursion (and therefore head/neck injury) in a crash. The use of top tethers will decrease injury as compared to the same seat in the same accident without the use of the top tether.

U

Unregistered

Okay, thank you, I was confused. I thought that the LATCH was supposed to be safer, but I guess it just makes it easier to ensure that the seat is installed correctly. After I posted my question I found that the seat would not fit in the center of my backseat anyway. Oh well.

U

Unregistered

I originally asked the question because I wanted to put my DD in the center of my back seat where there is no LATCH attachments. They are only on the two outboard seats, but since she doesn't fit in the middle anyway I guess it's not an issue. Thanks for answering my question though, it's good to know for the future!

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
LATCH is new, and manufacturers are still working on many issues. These include compatibility, seating positions and ease-of-use. Hopefully, in another 15 years when most vehicles have LATCH, the designs of cars and carseats will have improved significantly and LATCH WILL be safer and easier to use in most cases.

Also:

http://www.car-safety.org/latch.html

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC