Update! Frontier 90 tether issues....

tl01

Britax has put the tether so far out on the side of the seat that this is happening on my captains chair. I have to check it almost everytime I put DS1 in it even though no one has been in my third row lately. It happened with my Frontier 85 on my sienna but that van had narrow seats at the top. I think britax moved this tether even further out on this seat. Does this happen to anyone else?

D122824D-2506-4369-834B-AE680B3E5040-7883-00000316F0C16A36_zpsec82a381.jpg

Last edited:
ADS

tiggercat

I hold the tether in while tightening to get it to stay up on the capt chair, but honestly not sure what would happen in a crash.

Sent from my iPod touch using Car-Seat.Org

tl01

Re: Frontier 90 tether issues....

I hold the tether in while tightening to get it to stay up on the capt chair, but honestly not sure what would happen in a crash.

I figure if it is in place at the time of a crash that it will be fine. But hopefully it will be in the right spot.

Phineasmama

It kinda does that on my captains chair but I just tightened it and it stays on now. I have cloth seats though so idk if that makes a difference.

Kecia

Admin - CPST Instructor

Put a strip of grippy shelf liner or any type of no-slip mat material across the top of the vehicle seat and then tighten the tether strap as much as you can. Hopefully that will be enough to keep it in place pre-crash. I have had similar issues on the captain's chairs in my Freestar with the old Husky and Regent.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member

The only reason it doesn't have issues in my van is that the tether routes through a handle that pulls it centered. Or it would totally slip off. I think we should all call Borax about it as we see it-they have in the past been responsive to customer feedback...

tiggercat

I figure if it is in place at the time of a crash that it will be fine. But hopefully it will be in the right spot.

On my van, the tether is right on the edges of the vehicle seat frame, if you know what I mean. The outer edge is just cushioning. I worry that in a crash, when the whole seat is thrown forward that the cushion/fabric will compress and the tether will slip off the sides of the seat.

I'll try to take a pic when I put it back in the van. Today I am carting around 4 - 8 year olds in parkways, my daughter's birthday sleepover/party. :D

thepote

For captains chairs in the second row, my Ody (2005) requires tethers be routed under the headrest between the legs of the headrest without the headrest being removed. (page 46, step 5)

Is this not the case for your vehicle?

tiggercat

For captains chairs in the second row, my Ody (2005) requires tethers be routed under the headrest between the legs of the headrest without the headrest being removed. (page 46, step 5)

I drive a Caravan with forward leaning head restraints. I have to remove them to achieve an acceptable install.

thepote

My third row -requires- the headrest to be removed, but for the second row it says to lift the headrest and route the tether under it between the legs.

tl01

The headrest makes the install problematic. I asked Honda last week and they say it is not a problem to remove the headrest if necessary.

tl01

Does it address v shaped tethers?

Honda wouldn't speak with regard to the different tethers on the phone. The manual only addresses the regular tethers. They defer to what the seat manufacturer specifies.

tiggercat

Honda wouldn't speak with regard to the different tethers on the phone. The manual only addresses the regular tethers. They defer to what the seat manufacturer specifies.

It seems that would make a lot of difference, so the rules/guidelines might differ.

I reinstalled the FR and my tether isn't as much on the edge as I thought. Tightened up, it is definitely on the seat frame. Not a lot, but ok I think.

Cryssy Jane

I've been having this issue in the sienna lately too. I keep checking every time we get in the car because it keeps slowly sliding down. I have cloth seats as well.

LM4M

CPST Instructor

Mine are just like that picture on my third row bench. I have no choice but to leave it off the outboard sides. It won't stay otherwise unless its too loose. :(

tl01

It seems that would make a lot of difference, so the rules/guidelines might differ.

I reinstalled the FR and my tether isn't as much on the edge as I thought. Tightened up, it is definitely on the seat frame. Not a lot, but ok I think.

You mean Britax's rules or guidelines?

tiggercat

You mean Britax's rules or guidelines?

A vehicle manufacturer quoted above says to route between the head restraint's posts, but they are assuming it is a single strap, so that routing makes sense. Given a V shaped tether, the manufacturer may give a different direction for tether routing. I was just wondering if vehicle manufacturers were aware/have direction for different tether styles.

Does Britax address the issue? I could check the manual, but I am stuck under a cuddly preschooler and that doesn't happen often enough these days.

thepote

A vehicle manufacturer quoted above says to route between the head restraint's posts, but they are assuming it is a single strap, so that routing makes sense. Given a V shaped tether, the manufacturer may give a different direction for tether routing. I was just wondering if vehicle manufacturers were aware/have direction for different tether styles.

Does Britax address the issue? I could check the manual, but I am stuck under a cuddly preschooler and that doesn't happen often enough these days.

I just went through the frontier 90 manual online and it just says hook it on and tighten.

tl01

Honda said they don't have to give advice for every type of seat and tether. The phone rep said they only legally have to provide info for the single part tether. Somehow I doubt that... But that's what he said. I'll write britax for more info but they have told me before it can be installed without the headrest. I'll send the pic so they can see my issue.

I can also call honda again. I'm sure I'll get a different rep. Last time I asked if they could talk to an engineer and they said no. But I'll try again.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC