I need help!!

Shelby

My almost 4 year old had a sensory disorder. She usually has problems with things being too tight. We just bought her graco Argo and she screams the whole time in it because its "too tight" even though the straps are loose. What can I do?? Can I switch her to a booster? If so which one? I need help!

ADS

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
I wouldn't feel comfortable with a 3-year-old (or even a young four-year-old) in a booster seat unless there truly is no other option.

Could you give her something else sensory to "work on" while she is in the car? That has worked for some children with SPD. A tangle, sensory book, weighted blanket, prickly ball, or some other such device might work. Knowing your daughter, do you think it is worth a try?

What seat was she in previously? Did she complain in that seat as well?

thepote

Hi,
I've heard of people having success using the "deep breath" trick. Tighten it as you normally would, then hold the adjuster open and tell her to loosen it with a deep breath. The slack it creates is negligible, but it may be enough for her if she's the one to do it.

Other than that there may be a seat she likes better? That's an expensive option, but like the previous poster said unless there are no other options she is much safer in a harness.

Good luck!

heather13619

My sensory kid did the same thing in the Nautilus (very similar to the Argos). It was so bad we ended up returning it and getting an Evenflo Maestro (which she never complained about). I wish I had advice. :/ I don't know what about the Nautilus bothered her, she was non-verbal at that time...she just totally lost it when we put her in it.

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
Where does she say it's too tight? The Nautilus/Argos is known for having a short crotch strap, which sometimes feels "too tight" in the crotch and thigh area.

I agree that a booster is not the best choice at her age.

Shelby

It's not too tight. I even loosened it enough I fit another child in there and she still screams its too tight. I think it's more the idea of being harnessed. She had been in a booster... Which I KNOW IS BAD! This is why we got her a new seat. We made a huge deal of it.. Let her pick it out (the pattern) got her excited and boom... Problems. I don't even know what to do.

Jan06twinmom

Also I agree the crotch strap is short. Do they send longer ones? What else is an option?

I don't think there are longer crotch straps, but hopefully someone else can confirm that.

How big is your DD? Weight and height? If we know more about her size, we can suggest seats that will work for her size-wise and get her to booster age. I would highly recommend taking her to the store to sit in seats and find one that she finds is comfortable.

DaniannieB

Ambassador - CPS Technician
Re: Help!

It doesn't sound like switching back to a booster will help, and neither a booster nor loose straps is a very safe option. Can she tell you where it's "too tight"?

Do you have somewhere you could try out other seats to see if another one might be better for her? Maybe check with a local CPSTI or special needs tech instructor to see if they have a vest type restraint to try and see if she tolerates that better (EZ on vest or ride safer travel vest).

MommyShannon

If the harness doesn't pass the pinch test http://vicarseattechs.com/faqs/how-tight-should-the-harness-be/ she isn't safe at all in an accident. I'd set the harness so it passes and leave it there instead of loosening/tightening every time. That will reduce the "tightening" feeling hopefully. Put her in charge of buckling the chest clip and explain how important it is to be safe. My 3.5 year old is so stubborn but over time I can get her to understand why something has to be a certain way. You could try a Frontier seat since its more open around the legs instead of the closed in feeling of the nautilus armrests. It sounds like she will fight any seat though especially since she has felt the freedom of a booster. Can you put something really special in that cubby hole that makes her happy to get in? A sticker chart for buckling up? In the end, fit or not, she needs to be securely in the seat and will have to get used to it. 3 year olds can be very insistent but she just isn't safe at all in a booster.

Shelby

She says the stars are too tight. But there not. It's more of a not wanting to he harnessed thing I guess. I have even loosened them enough to fit another child just to see If it helps and she still screams.

E&A0607

My almost 4 year old had a sensory disorder. She usually has problems with things being too tight. We just bought her graco Argo and she screams the whole time in it because its "too tight" even though the straps are loose. What can I do?? Can I switch her to a booster? If so which one? I need help!

My YDD has a sensory processing issue as well. She rode in a Nautilus for a long time. She also complained that it was "too tight" or "uncomfortable" frequently, but it never lasted more than a few minutes. I would pretend to loosen it or loosen then tighten a little. We also did not loosen the straps when she got out, just unbuckled, so we weren't adjusting them every time she got in. Loose clothing bothers her though, so being strapped in was ok for her. She would still be in the Nautilus, but she is a tall girl with a long torso! We moved to a booster full time last month at 5y7m. Good luck!

Shelby

I have tried EVERYTHING. I also think its too short. ( the crotch) I loosen it. Tighten it. Loosen it all the way. Nothing helps.

TheNimpsGirl

Not sure if you resolved your problem but wanted to chime in. DS also has SPD and did not like the Nautilus, he couldn't tell me why just "no no no like seat".

He also one day began complaining about his XTSL hurting his back - I couldn't ever find anything that could be causing the problem. I had to switch it to my husband's car out of mine (he rides in DH's car for much shorter periods of time) because every time we went every where it started a tantrum.

I find that with DS once he has made up his mind or declared something to be so, it doesn't matter if it's "true" or not. He isn't budging from that first feeling/thought - more so than neurotypical children (because let's be honest, all kids and adults can be stubborn :))

For example, he needed bigger boots so I bought him the stupid expensive Spiderman snow boots, in the correct size. He loved them in the store. First time out at school he tripped in them and declared them "no no big" and would not put them back on his feet. Even after he outgrew them, he still insisted that they were too big. Perhaps I should have "forced" him to deal with it, but a 45 minute screaming fit every day just was more than I could handle. I should have returned them right away and got my money back.

So my :twocents: is if you can, return it.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC