Which seats should i use?

jewlsvern

We are all flying to see my IL's in CA. Then will use one of their cars. All 3 kids are still in harness seats. Currently DD1 is in an Argos, DS in a radian, and DD2 in a my ride RFing. I also have a true fit, scenara, and EFTA that I can use.

So I need seats that will fit on the flight and I need to get 3 across an Avalon. It is a newer model like 2009 or newer.

It is DH and I, and the 3 kids. We will have a stroller and I will bring the Ergo. But we need to be able to get 3 car seats, 3 kids, and carry ons through the airport. Thankfully on the flight there we don't change planes but we do on the return flight.

Help! What seats should I take and how do I do this? We have only flown with 2 kids in seats before.

ADS

Carrie_R

Ambassador - CPS Technician
Are you open to purchasing a new seat? How old/heavy is DD1?

I am wondering if you take the Scenera for the baby and the Radian for the toddler, use them on the plane. Then get a Safety 1st Go for DD1 - fold it into a carry on for the plane and allow her to use the airplane seatbelt. The combination of those three seats should fit the Avalon; they're all pretty narrow. If DD1 is too tall/heavy for the Go, perhaps she could use the Radian upon arrival & DS could use the Go.

I know it's an investment, but it would help with travel three-across for several years (DD2 could eventually use it.) Alternatively, you could use an RSTV in much the same fashion - do you plan on any long drives at your destination?

jewlsvern

DD1 is 6.5 but only 38 lbs. DS is 4 and 38 lbs. they both can still use the scenara. DD1 is TINY. I am not comfortable with her in a booster. We will do a few 1-2 hour drives.

There really is no budget for a new seat right now. The Argos is only 3 weeks old. It was a replacement after DH was in an accident. It replaced our Avenue.

rachelandtyke

Definitely Radian and Scenera. How does the Radian puzzle with the EFTA since it is on a base and the Radian is low profile?

I got 2 TFs and a backless Turbo in a Camry. I imagine the Avalon back seat isn't any smaller. Since the Radian and Scenera are narrower, you might be able to get those with any of the others easily.

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
I'd put DD1 in the Radian, DS in the Scenera, and DD2 in either the MyRide or the EFTA.

I would then put DD2 in the Ergo and put as many of the seats as possible in the stroller (hopefully two will fit!). Are your carry-on actually small suitcases? If so, strap the third seat to a carry-on.

Whoever isn't carrying DD2 should carry/roll as many carry-ons as possible while the other parent pushes the stroller. Will your DD1 and DS be able to carry their own carry-ons?

jewlsvern

I'd put DD1 in the Radian, DS in the Scenera, and DD2 in either the MyRide or the EFTA.

I would then put DD2 in the Ergo and put as many of the seats as possible in the stroller (hopefully two will fit!). Are your carry-on actually small suitcases? If so, strap the third seat to a carry-on.

Whoever isn't carrying DD2 should carry/roll as many carry-ons as possible while the other parent pushes the stroller. Will your DD1 and DS be able to carry their own carry-ons?

DD1 and DS both have wheeling carry ons that they will take. The stroller is a B-agile so I am not sure if 2 will fit. Maybe the scenara and my ride. I think I can put DD2 in the Ergo on my back and push the stroller with the diaper bag and 2 car seats. DH can get our wheeling carry on and the radian. Richmond is not a huge airport so not a long walk and we don't get off in Dallas.

mping

I would go booster for your 5 year old. Maybe a Harmony Literider. They start at 30lbs. Not the absolute greatest option for a tiny kid but for one trip, I'd think I'd be ok with it. My 5 year old just sat in one for a short trip and he's only 30lbs. He fit great and sat really well in it.

mping

If you don't want to use the booster, then definitely the scenera and a Radian. Did you say you had a 2nd Scenera? I bet a rf Radian would fit between 2 Sceneras.

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
I would go booster for your 5 year old. Maybe a Harmony Literider. They start at 30lbs. Not the absolute greatest option for a tiny kid but for one trip, I'd think I'd be ok with it. My 5 year old just sat in one for a short trip and he's only 30lbs. He fit great and sat really well in it.

She said she doesn't want to use a booster for her daughter and that she would be taking several one-to-two-hour trips, so it is more than one trip.

I would be quite cautious about using a booster for a 30-pound child mostly because I fear that a 30-pound child is likely so small-framed that the booster plus seatbelt might not be able to hold them in well enough. Your child does still have a five-year-old's bone development, but I'd worry about the booster allowing for a correct positioning of the belt. I know the Literider is rated from 30 pounds, so it is technically okay, but I would still be very cautious. :duck:

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
If you don't want to use the booster, then definitely the scenera and a Radian. Did you say you had a 2nd Scenera? I bet a rf Radian would fit between 2 Sceneras.

She has:

~ 1 Radian
~ 1 Argos
~ 1 MyRide
~ 1 EFTA
~ 1 Scenera
~ 1 TrueFit

jewlsvern

Yes, DD is so very tiny and most if her height is legs. I am not comfortable with her in a booster. Also once I let her once she will expect it always.

View attachment 22467

This is her. You can see how small she is.

My IL's Avalon is pretty roomy so I think I can fit the radian, my ride, and scenara. We just can't afford a booster right now anyway unless my IL's want to get one for her to have there.

Last edited:

rachelandtyke

we don't get off in Dallas.

Are you 100% sure about this? I only ask because I have had 2 experiences with continuing segments of a flight (with same flight number).

I've had to deplane and take all my things with me even though we were getting back on the same plane.

I've had to change planes/gates for the 2nd portion, even though it was the same flight number and looked like it would have just been the same plane the entire time.

Not that you can't still easily do it, but just an FYI so you're not surprised if either of those scenarios happen. I think you've got a great plan. :)

jewlsvern

Are you 100% sure about this? I only ask because I have had 2 experiences with continuing segments of a flight (with same flight number).

I've had to deplane and take all my things with me even though we were getting back on the same plane.

I've had to change planes/gates for the 2nd portion, even though it was the same flight number and looked like it would have just been the same plane the entire time.

Not that you can't still easily do it, but just an FYI so you're not surprised if either of those scenarios happen. I think you've got a great plan. :)

I think so. It says no change of planes and only let us choose seats once for the entire flight there. I will call to be sure.

Kobain's Mommy

DD1 and DS both have wheeling carry ons that they will take. The stroller is a B-agile so I am not sure if 2 will fit. Maybe the scenara and my ride. I think I can put DD2 in the Ergo on my back and push the stroller with the diaper bag and 2 car seats. DH can get our wheeling carry on and the radian. Richmond is not a huge airport so not a long walk and we don't get off in Dallas.

I wouldn't count 100% not changing flights in Dallas. We planned a trip that way and our "stop over" turned into us changing planes.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC