Question Advice needed, Radian RXT & 2013 Subaru Impreza

C

Cupcakemonster

Hi everyone, I'm looking for some help with installing a convertible car seat in our 2013 Subaru Impreza hatchback. Before I started reading threads about subaru's I had no idea they had trickier than average car installs.

We've been using a chicco keyfit that goes to 22 pounds. DD is 7 months, 20 pounds and about 28 inches. She is close to outgrowing it so I am getting anxious for a solution. Unfortunately I just learned that subaru's do not have UAS in the center seat, we had been borrowing from the sides which I now know is incorrect. Subaru doesn't recommend installing in the middle seat, but it sounds like it's doable with some car seats using the seat belt. After making that mistake I want to be absolutely sure we have proper installation moving forward. I want to keep her RF as long as possible and in the center.

We bought a Radian RXT which I tried test install yesterday, we don't have the angler yet, so it sticks way into the front seats. From what I've read on this forum it's possible to install in the center after "twisting the seat belt stalk" can someone explain how that works and why it's needed? The subaru also has a weird seat bight that is a few inches up from the actual curve in the seat. It makes it so that there is no split in the seat to work the feet of the boot into. Does it matter if they feet are not actually inserted into the seat? Any suggestions on getting the Radian into this car properly are much appreciated.

Also I may be able to exchange the Radian for something else. Does anyone know of a car seat that may be more suitable for our car?

Are there any car seat techs out there in the B.C. lower mainland that could help me?

Thanks in advance!

ADS

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador

canadiangie

If this thread could be moved to the Canadian forum that would be great. Hopefully mod Pixelated will come along because she is also familiar with lower mainland techs.

Pixelated

Moderator - CPST Instructor
Hi there! There are many techs in the lower mainland, some of whom are on this board. Where exactly and I can hook you up with someone?

The challenge with that raised bight you're describing is that you can either put the feet of the Radian in the actual 'corner/turn of the seat' or put them up a couple of inches and insert them into the bight. The problem then becomes whether or not the front edge of the Radian is making contact with the vehicle seat back, which it needs to do to be considered compatible.

In the few Subarus I've worked in it's sometimes an issue and sometimes not. SUPER reclined if you put the feet up into that crease, and no front contact if you don't. The angle adjuster can help solve one or both problems. Sometimes it worked in the middle but not at all outboard. It's something that we'd need to see pictures of to evaluate, and of course meeting hands on with someone would help too.

I'm going to leave the thread here as the issue is a technical one that others may benefit from later on, and separate from the need for local help.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC