Recaro proride vs. Britax Marathon 70 g3 vs. Graco Size 4 Me

U

Unregistered

I need to purchase a convertible seat for my almost 7mo old son. He is in a Chicco KeyFit due to expire soon. My main concern in purchasing a seat (around our $200 budget) that will allow him to ERF until 4 or 5yrs old. I have been researching, but just getting overwhelmed by all the information. We looked at a S4M at the store and I was surprised by how little it was padded. Wondering how comfortable that would be once he weighs more. Any thoughts would be wonderful!! Thank you.

ADS

#1babysitter

How tall and heavy is your son? That will make a huge difference in deciding which seat would last him the longest. Are you moving him out of his Keyfit because it is expiring soon or because he is also outgrowing it?

The Proride offers very little legroom so I cannot imagine a 4 or 5 yo rear facing in it. The Marathon also isn't a seat that comes to mind with extended rear facing. It doesn't offer much legroom either but this all depends on your sons size. If he's on the smaller side it could work just fine for him. I don't have experience using the S4M but when I tried the almost 3 yo I'm a nanny for in it he seemed comfortable and has lots of room to grow rear facing. You also might look at the Chicco Nextfit. It has great padding.

Dorothy

Hi. :) Would you please tell us what size your son is (weight and clothing size). Also, what vehicle(s) do you drive. This information is helpful in making suggestions.

ETA: Too slow! PP already asked. ;)

U

Unregistered

Sorry for the lack of information!! We have a 05 Dodge Caravan and this seat will be installed on a captain chair. My 4 and 5yr old DD's both ERF in a Britax Decathalon and when they outgrew it RF moved to a MR65. All of our seats infant and convertible are due to expire very soon. Girls have moved or are moving into Britax Frontier's. He has not outgrown the Keyfit. He is 6.5mos, 18ish pounds and about 26". I really want him to ERF just as long as his sisters did. So I am feeling quite stressed about purchasing the right seat within our budget. I had no idea the Recaro allowed for such little leg room. Even when installed on a captain chair is this true? Our DD's were very comfortable in their Britax Decathalons around 3/4yrs old RF bc they just let their feet fall to the sides...

While I think my son won't be too much bigger than his sisters, I don't want to count on that and would rather get something that will allow for growing room while ERF.

Thank you!!!

U

Unregistered

After learning more info about the S4M I am wondering if that may be our seat. I thought it had a RF height limit of 40", but that has changed to no limit within the last year. So on the chance my little guy may end up being taller/heavier than his older sisters I need something that will allow for ERF growth and within our $200 budget...are there any others I should also consider?

U

Unregistered

Unless there is a seat that ERF over 40lbs and still allows for high ERF height like the S4M and around $200...I am thinking there is not.

#1babysitter

Sorry for the lack of information!! We have a 05 Dodge Caravan and this seat will be installed on a captain chair. My 4 and 5yr old DD's both ERF in a Britax Decathalon and when they outgrew it RF moved to a MR65. All of our seats infant and convertible are due to expire very soon. Girls have moved or are moving into Britax Frontier's. He has not outgrown the Keyfit. He is 6.5mos, 18ish pounds and about 26". I really want him to ERF just as long as his sisters did. So I am feeling quite stressed about purchasing the right seat within our budget. I had no idea the Recaro allowed for such little leg room. Even when installed on a captain chair is this true? Our DD's were very comfortable in their Britax Decathalons around 3/4yrs old RF bc they just let their feet fall to the sides...

While I think my son won't be too much bigger than his sisters, I don't want to count on that and would rather get something that will allow for growing room while ERF.

Thank you!!!

Thanks for the information! I don't have actual experience with the Proride but I've heard a lot of people say it offers very little leg room rear facing. Even less than the Britax convertibles. It all depends on your son though and if he ends up being more leggy. Personally I would not buy the Proride when planning on ERF. I would rather be safe than sorry.

I think your best bet is the Size 4 Me, Chicco Nextfit (a little over budget), Diono Radian, Evenflo Triumph Advance, and the Evenflo Sureride. I personally have and love the Radians and am sure you could find a good sale on them. The Size 4 Me is a good choice but I know you have concerns about the padding. Personally I think the Chicco Nextfit is the best padded out of them all. I would go to a store that lets you try the seats in your car and then put your son in them to see which you really like and don't like.

MommyShannon

I can't find the measurements of the old Britax Decathlons, but a lot of the older seats were actually taller than the current gen Britax seats. I love our Marathon 70, but my girls who use it are short. It will get average to small size kids to 3 or 4. The Classic Marathon 65 from Target is taller but only 35lbs rf. The True Fit is really tall but only 35lbs rf too.

U

Unregistered

What if the Diono RXT was an option? I like that it has a 45lb rear facing limit too. Would that be a better choice over the S4M *if* we could afford it? Is it just as tall as the S4M???

#1babysitter

What if the Diono RXT was an option? I like that it has a 45lb rear facing limit too. Would that be a better choice over the S4M *if* we could afford it? Is it just as tall as the S4M???

I have two old Sunshine Kid's version of RXT's and love them but if you look at the measurements spreadsheet the internal seating height of the RXT is 25 inches and on the Size 4 Me it's 27.5 inches. Remember you can only use either seat rear facing until there's less than 1 inch of shell above the child's head but as far as the internal height the Size 4 Me is taller and will last longer for some kids. Not saying the RXT won't last a child until 3 or 4 rear facing because it will but the Size 4 Me will last longer for long torsoed kids.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC