Question Has anyone worked with the Nissan NV passenger van?

aunt83me02

Senior Community Member
I have seen the cargo versions around town but hadn't encountered the passenger version. I was on a walk yesterday and passed one in a driveway. What peaked my interested was the 4 headrests I could see in the back row. I got online last night and was very impressed with what I saw on the website. I haven't looked at my LATCH manual to see if there is information on it. I was wondering how many sets of lower anchors and tethers are in this van (and location). The website just says they are in each row and specifies the back row is the left-center seat. It also says you cannot install a rear facing seat in the 2nd row behind the driver. I found this randomly while searching.
https://owners.nissanusa.com/content/techpub/snugkids-english/nissan_nv_passenger_english.pdf

I'd love to hear from those who have field experience with this vehicle! I wish that Ford/GM would finally make safe options for their passenger vans. It's a little ridiculous that they haven't changed much of anything for the past 20+ years (maybe added one or two center shoulder belts).

ADS

Brycen'sMommy

Will that have more than three rows? Last I saw, the most it had was three rows, and not much (if any) more space than a standard minivan.

It will have 8, 10, 12 or 15 passenger seating depending on which wheel base you choose. Maybe you're thinking of the Transit Connect? That one is the size of a minivan.

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
It will have 8, 10, 12 or 15 passenger seating depending on which wheel base you choose. Maybe you're thinking of the Transit Connect? That one is the size of a minivan.

Yes! That's it!

Ok, that's good, because I thought the Transit Connect was a stupid idea: the seating of a minivan with the looks of a cargo van. Who wants that? I was hoping for something that would compete with the Sprinter and NV.

tl01

Totally off topic... But I rode in a sprinter while on a recent trip and had to do some quick seat installs... And it was great for seats! Installs were easy, the van had great space and it was so easy to get around in. Quite lovely!

aunt83me02

Senior Community Member
Very exciting all around! The Sprinter led the way, now with the NV, and soon the Ford, there will be 3 options for bigger families to keep their kids safe! Maybe GM will get their act together and come up with something. I *hope* that Ford will discontinue selling their typical passenger vans or only sell the cargo version. I will take so long to rid the market of these awful vehicles! The good news for me is that if I decide to have 5+ kids there should be lots of used ones at decent prices by the time I need one!

Keeanh

Unfortunately the new Ford Transit appears to have a smallish engine. Great for fuel economy while moving a lot of people. But I expect Ford will also keep selling the Econoline with its larger engine & towing capability.

I have the Chevy Express and put headrests in it.

I LOVE the look of the new Ford. It actually comes in a 15-passenger version that also has cargo room. That's a big beef I have with the current 15-p vans. In order to have an cargo room, you have to take out the back row and then you have an 11p van :(. The NV only comes in a 12p version with no cargo area.

I think the NV is easy to install in. Chex has one. I'm sure she'll be along soon ;).

ETA: Here's Chex's thread about the NV: http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=220414

Chex

There are only 3 sets of lower anchors. The middle seats of the short rows and the left-center seat of the 4th row. There are 5 tether anchors, though. One on each of the above seats, and then one on each of the passenger side seats in the 2 short rows.

I haven't found anywhere in my manual that says you can't install a rear-facing carseat on the first bench. I'm curious where you found that info.

It doesn't have a ton of cargo space, but it's been enough for most things for us. We don't have any issues with big Costco/grocery trips or anything like that. But I also don't keep a stroller in the back like a lot of moms like to.

The new Ford looks awesome, but I will definitely be interested to see what the engine is like and what the towing capacity is. That's one of the things that sold us on the NV. It can tow more than our Express did. And I will really be interested to see how they work having a 15 passenger van WITH cargo space. That is going to be one long van! I wonder what the rollover risk is. I know with the newer 12-15 passenger vans, and with our NV, they've done a lot of things to minimize that risk.

Chex

The info about not installing a rf seat behind the driver in the 2nd row came from here: https://owners.nissanusa.com/content/techpub/snugkids-english/nissan_nv_passenger_english.pdf

It's in the paragraph in bold just above the chart. They don't say why, perhaps side airbag interference? It's interesting that it doesn't show up in the manual though. They also say to install forward facing seats only where there is a tether.

I'm guessing it's probably because of the advanced airbag system in the driver's seat.

I saw that, also, about the forward-facing only in seats with TAs. That one makes no sense to me at all. And I've been guilty of having RFing sears in those positions. In fact, I have one in a place with a TA now. (Middle seat of front bench.)

ETA: that would leave you with 4 options for a RFing carseat. 3 on the back row and one on the middle row. That just doesn't make any sense.

Dillipop

I'm guessing it's probably because of the advanced airbag system in the driver's seat.

I saw that, also, about the forward-facing only in seats with TAs. That one makes no sense to me at all. And I've been guilty of having RFing sears in those positions. In fact, I have one in a place with a TA now. (Middle seat of front bench.)

ETA: that would leave you with 4 options for a RFing carseat. 3 on the back row and one on the middle row. That just doesn't make any sense.

I read that to mean that when you install a forward facing harnessed seat, you must use a tether anchor spot. I don't think that sentence was referring to rearfacing seats not being able to be installed in those positions.

Chex

That would make much more sense. Thank you!

ETA: Looking at it this morning it makes total sense. Apparently I shouldn't try to comprehend things like this late at night, lol. ;)

Last edited:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC