installing tether anchors 2006 Town&Country

geckoed

Soooo I have 5 kids and a minivan. Third row is a 60/40 split. One tether anchor offset between center and outboard. I installed a new anchor in the floor for the y-86 (man was that EASY!) I have the 4yro's Radian thethered in the standard anchor.
My 8yro was/is in a backless booster w/ shoulder belt. She's getting a Regent as soon as it arrives :D
Radian doesn't *require* a tether. Regent does. I prefer them all tethered. What is the easiest/safest/cheapest way to install another tether? Can I use another ez-on tether anchor? they also sell the anchor piece seperately (listed under bus accessories). I'm tempted to order that and buy my own bolt/washer/nut- since I already have one I could find the same at a hardware store I'm sure. Any experience or advice? I tried searching the forums.

ADS

azgirl71

CPST Instructor
According to the LATCH manual you do not have the option of adding anymore tether anchors. it is not safe to put a TA's in a non approved location as it may not hold.

This is what is says exactly:

2002-2007 T&C
NON Stow N Go Seating:

Second row:
Center: N/A
OUTBOARD:
2 LATCH with TA's on lower back of seat

Third Row:
Center:
TA on lower back of seat
Outboard: NONE

2002-2007 T&C
WITH Stow N Go seating:

Second Row:
Center:
NA
Outboard: 2 LATCH with TA's on lower back of seat

Third Row:
Center:
LATCH with TA on lower back of seat
Outboard: NONE

You will not be able to add more TA's according to this. Sorry :(

ETA: I would reconsider using the TA you installed for the Y86 harness.

Last edited:

azgirl71

CPST Instructor
I wanted to give you a little more info on not adding TA's

Here is a pdf on the FMVSS You will find this info on page 29. It is FVMSS 225 that is the rule.

ETA: this it what it says in the LATCH manual under FAQ's

Why can't I get additional TA's installed in my LATCH vehicle?
The standard (FVMSS 225) calls for specific tests for every tether anchor inastalled in a vehicle. It also specifies a minimum of 3 tether anchors (in most vehicles). Vehicle manufacturer's generally follow the rule strictly. They would be responsible for testing any additional anchor or anchor points/anchor kits.

SO the presence of the standard has, in cases of 3rd row vehicles, limited the options more than prior to the standard. Parents have to put thier FF CRs i tether equipped seats, purchase one of the few vehicles that have more than the minimum, or have a mechanic install aftermarket TA's.

azgirl71

CPST Instructor
I wanted to follow up and say I in no way was trying to make you feel bad if I have I am truly sorry :(

Maybe you could take your vehicle to the dealership and have thier mechanic check your TA install for the Y86 harness. Since it does state a mechanic **could** install a aftermarket TA.

Defrost

Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus
Not everyone is handy, I understand that, which is why as techs we can't just have a policy of telling people to go home and install a tether anchor all by themselves.

But it's really not all that complicated, and I can't see why it would require a mechanic any more than an oil change "requires" a mechanic. Some folks do need to take their car to a mechanic for an oil change, others see that as a waste of time & money. Not to mention that requiring installation by a mechanic is a bit of a joke, since most mechanics wouldn't even consider installing part of a safety restraint system - they don't want the liability, either! For sure a dealership won't even look at it or comment on it.

Sorry, I'm a bit fed up with the FMVSS right now - they're not helping families with more than two kids ("I'm sorry I over-reproduced! Which ones do you want me to go drown in the back yard?") On top of that they're interfering with our attempts to make up for the fact that they've let (and are still letting) the vehicle manufacturers get away with not installing enough tether anchors or LATCH points.

The OP bought a FAMILY vehicle. It has five seats in the back - she has five kids. She should be able to transport them safely in it. She ALREADY could not transport them safely, before she ever added an after-market tether anchor. What's the worst-case scenario? It'll fail and they'll be restrained as poorly as they were in the first place?

azgirl71

CPST Instructor
Not everyone is handy, I understand that, which is why as techs we can't just have a policy of telling people to go home and install a tether anchor all by themselves.

But it's really not all that complicated, and I can't see why it would require a mechanic any more than an oil change "requires" a mechanic. Some folks do need to take their car to a mechanic for an oil change, others see that as a waste of time & money. Not to mention that requiring installation by a mechanic is a bit of a joke, since most mechanics wouldn't even consider installing part of a safety restraint system - they don't want the liability, either! For sure a dealership won't even look at it or comment on it.

Sorry, I'm a bit fed up with the FMVSS right now - they're not helping families with more than two kids ("I'm sorry I over-reproduced! Which ones do you want me to go drown in the back yard?") On top of that they're interfering with our attempts to make up for the fact that they've let (and are still letting) the vehicle manufacturers get away with not installing enough tether anchors or LATCH points.

The OP bought a FAMILY vehicle. It has five seats in the back - she has five kids. She should be able to transport them safely in it. She ALREADY could not transport them safely, before she ever added an after-market tether anchor. What's the worst-case scenario? It'll fail and they'll be restrained as poorly as they were in the first place?

I agree a dealership probably does not want the liablity of installing or checking an install. It does not hurt to ask becasue you might get the one guy or gal who understands.

You are correct on the fact that the OP did by a family vehicle and it should ahve been equipped with more TA's or at least have the option of having more added. You ask "What's the worst-case scenario?" I would hope your answer would be the likely one. However, my reply to that question would be....What if her child is seriously injured because the aftermarket TA that she installed failed? As a parent I would have a very hard time living with myself knowing I indirectly and unintentionally may have caused my child to be injured. (I know this is different, but I lost a son when I was 27 weeks pg. I questioned the NP at my at my 24 week appt and was concerned for lack of movement. The NP said oh that is normal (there were 12 yrs between him and my then youngest). He had a HB of 158 bpm. 3 weeks later on Thanksgiving Day 2004 I delivered my son who had passed away in utero. His cause of death of a double nucal cord that was so tight around his neck I cut into him and strangled him. Could I have prevented that? I could have gone to a city 70 miles away and delivered my son early had we known. That is not to say the outcome would be me getting to see him grow up, but I would have done everything in my power to try. I still nearly 3 years later blame myself for not doing more. I also know if it weren't for my perssitance when I was pg with Tucker she as well as myself my not be here. She was born @ 30 weeks. Another long story. If you want to hear it PM me)

SOrry about that being so long. That is just my experience oon haow a parent can feel.

Defrost

Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus
I understand what you're saying, and that's why this is a parental decision.

There are two issues here. The first, and the one I was commenting on earlier, was your statement that she should re-consider using the TA she has installed for the 86Y harness. Before installing the TA, she was stuck with a lap-only belt. Her only other option would be to buy a new vehicle.

However, my reply to that question would be....What if her child is seriously injured because the aftermarket TA that she installed failed?

And my answer would be that her child will be no more seriously injured if that TA fails than he would be in the lap-only belt. Her only other option is to buy a new vehicle, which may be the 'safest' option, but isn't necessarily possible in many cases.

The second issue is that she is asking whether she should install another TA for the Regent, which is slightly more questionable, as there are carseat options that do no require a tether, such as the Radian. She has not stated why she chose a Regent over the Radian for this child and this seating position, so it's difficult to say which is the safer and more useable option.

At the very least I would recommend purchasing the entire tether anchor kit, rather than just the hook portion and then attempting to match the other hardware at a store; EZ-On sells those kits separately as well. Then use the (approved) vehicle tether for the Regent, and the after-market TA for the Radian.

azgirl71

CPST Instructor
I understand what you're saying, and that's why this is a parental decision.

There are two issues here. The first, and the one I was commenting on earlier, was your statement that she should re-consider using the TA she has installed for the 86Y harness. Before installing the TA, she was stuck with a lap-only belt. Her only other option would be to buy a new vehicle.

And my answer would be that her child will be no more seriously injured if that TA fails than he would be in the lap-only belt. Her only other option is to buy a new vehicle, which may be the 'safest' option, but isn't necessarily possible in many cases.

The second issue is that she is asking whether she should install another TA for the Regent, which is slightly more questionable, as there are carseat options that do no require a tether, such as the Radian. She has not stated why she chose a Regent over the Radian for this child and this seating position, so it's difficult to say which is the safer and more useable option.

At the very least I would recommend purchasing the entire tether anchor kit, rather than just the hook portion and then attempting to match the other hardware at a store; EZ-On sells those kits separately as well. Then use the (approved) vehicle tether for the Regent, and the after-market TA for the Radian.

I would agree with what you said in regards to purchasing a different HWH seat that does not require a TA. The OP also has another post here and talks about a 9 yo being the main user of the Y86 if I am reading it correctly. She also states she is not looking for seat recsas she knows her options. I hope she is able to figure it out. I just worry to much I guess and you are right it is a parental decision. I just wanted her to be aware of what the FVMSS was and that it *may* not be safe to install a TA yourself.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC