Britax installation question

R

Rachel

I am wondering if the following configuration would be possible given the carseat sizes:

A Britax Roundabout rearfacing in the right outboard position with a Britax Huskey in the center position of both a 2001 Ford Taurus (lap/shoulder belts in all rear positions, 3 top tethers) and a 2004 Chevy Silverado Extended Cab (lap belt only in center, 3 top tethers). If needed, Huskey can be moved to left outboard position but I'd prefer center. I will be installing the Huskey using the seatbelt and not LATCH.

Roundabout, which we currently own, will be seating a 14 lb. 2 month old. Huskey, which we're looking to purchase, will be seating a 28 lb. 3 year old.

I'm trying to find a seat for my toddler since my infant will be out of her carrier seat before she is one given her weight. Given that my toddler is in the 10th percentile for his size and my infant is in the 90th, I'm considering the Huskey so that it can be used as a booster for my infant...or would it expire by then???

Thanks for your help!

ADS
U

Unregistered

Hi there,

I also have a 2001 Taurus and I own a Roundabout, a Marathon and a Husky. I know the Husky fits in the center but I honestly don't know if the rear-facing RA will fit next to it. I haven't tried that arrangement yet but if you can wait until tomorrow (it's pouring rain today) I can test it out and get back to you.

I do know what *will* work: a rf'ing RA outboard with a ff'ing Britax Marathon in the center. You can see some pics of this setup here (both are installed with the seatbelt - not LATCH):

http://www.geocities.com/protectwhatulove/Marathon.html

I'll post back tomorrow with more info.

Kecia in NY
Mom and CPS Tech

R

Rachel

I really appreciate the help! I am over an hour away from any store that sells Britax carseats, so it just isn't feasible for me to be able to try out the configurations myself.

Do you think that the Marathon might be a good option for us given our children's ages and sizes? I am unsure if we should get a Marathon or a Husky.

Thanks for the pics. We have 2 children, so space for a 3rd passenger in the back is not an issue for us.

U

Unregistered

THe seat should be good for about 7 years, it will have the date in the plastic that will say when it is no longer good!
Erin

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
The expiration length in all the Britax manuals I've ever run across is 6 years.
I bought the Marathon for my 29 pound three year old so she could ride rearfacing again http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx She's now 36 pounds, almost 5, and forward facing, with at least an inch of torso growth before she's too tall for the seat (I think the 49 inch height limit is really pretty accurate for most kids), and she still LOVES her seat...she can buckle herself and tighten herself, in it, even. We also have a Husky, and it's comfortable and big, but she finds it a little TOO big...and even my 7 yo finds it too big and spacious to get really comfy on a long trip!

R

Rachel

Thank you so much for your help in making this decision!

I've decided to go with the Marathon. Our 3 y.o. is a carseat sleeper, and the good point was made that the Husky's size may not be the best for little noggins that tip to the side.

Also, given that there is a 6 year limit on the seat (I saw that on Britax's site just now as well), my plan to use the Husky as a booster for my 2 month old until she reaches 80 lbs. is thrown out the window considering that she will most likely be older than 6 and still require a booster. So, since we'll have to buy a booster anyways for her to use, we can keep passing the carseats down from our 3 y.o. to the baby. And here my husband was excited that this could be the last carseat we purchase! Ha!

When the baby outgrows the Roundabout, we'll move her into the Marathon and purchase a booster for our son.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC