Are expensive HBB's worth it?

Wife&MomX3

My dd1 is in a Regent that will be expiring soon. The only HBB I have experience with is the Amp, since ds1 got one last year. It seems fine, but he does say it hurts his back sometimes. I don't want to buy another for dd1 if it's a problem inherent w/ the seat and not just ds1. The price is right on them, but I'm willing to pay a little more so she's comfortable. So, is comfort all you get for the added price of Parkways, Montereys, etc? Are Turbo Boosters any good/better than Amps?
Thanks in advance!

ADS

Athena

I'm no expert and I don't think paying more always gets you more features and comfort, but it can and the least expensive boosters don't have things like latch or deep sides and sometimes come with cheaper fabrics, less padding, and less EPP/EPS foam, just like with other types of seats.

Wife&MomX3

It's her b-day tomorrow and she was told she would get input on a new seat as part of her gift, no hand me down this time. ;)

Wife&MomX3

Oh, and she actually has used his seat a few times for short trips & not complained, but who knows how it'd feel long term. Ds1 used it for at least a month before any complaints, so idk.

YinzerMama

We have had a number of Graco seats. They used to offer ones with graco pedic foam but they don't seem to now. The foam made all the difference in the world. My oldest had the the turbo booster with the foam and comfort wise it was fine. The only issue with it was it was outgrown quickly. My girls now use one of them (it expires next Dec) in my husband's car and not a peep of complaint. One is a small 5, the other is an average 5. But when I move them to dedicated boosters in my car, I am going for something that will last longer in HBB mode, for comfort.

I wish graco made more squishy seats now. And more height would have always been nice.

If a monterary will work in my car that is likely what we will go with, as it looks comfy, goes tall, latches, and comes in the colors they like (very important, of course ;))

Lenae

I started booster training my DS in a Turbo because he's a little guy, and the Turbo almost always provides good belt fit on littles. I've since upgraded to a Recaro ProBooster and a Parkway SGL (that I actually just won, lol). I would say, if you can afford to upgrade without financial strain, it is worth it. The more expensive the booster (usually), the nicer features it has. Deeper sides, more padding, nicer feeling covers, etc. My DS prefers the ProBooster and the Parkway for comfort, but he likes the armrests on the TurboBooster the best. He sleeps well in any booster, so we don't really have out of position problems, but some people find their kids sleep better in boosters with deeper sides, which keeps them in position better.

Phineasmama

The Amp is basically a piece of plastic with a thin fabric cover over it...I certainly wouldn't want to ride in that for an extended period of time! The Monterey is very cushy but depending on the kid it might or might not fit well.

My favorite is the Kiddy Cruiserfix Pro, my 6yo daughter loves it and the belt fit is great. She really likes the adjustable leg support too. I'm very interested in that Maxi Cosi RodiFix that's supposed to be coming out next month too.

D&L's-mommy

I've owned lower cost seats (AMP, turbo, safety 1st boost air) and higher end boosters( vivo, monterey), the kids definitely prefer the seat that cost more, they don't know they cost more, they just know these particular ones have nice big comfy head and body wings for sleeping, lots of padding, and softer fabrics (bonus for latch, so they don't have to remember to buckle). For us, a more costly booster is worth the investment, and since they will be used for many years ( I booster from 6or 7 to 12) I don't mind the cost. In fact I'm ordering a new parkway sgl for my 9 year old, I figure if the kids are comfortable it's less difficult to keep them in their seats. not that there's anything wrong with a less expensive booster, but for us it's something that we're willing to spend more on.

VoodooChile

Dd used an Oobr from about 6-7.5, and said it was really comfortable until pretty recently--she got taller and it didn't support her legs very well anymore. Otherwise it was great--really cushy. With more depth it would have been fabulous. The lack of depth is the reason we chose the Santa Fe over the Olli for her backless.
We're saving the Oobr for ds (for dh's car), and am going to get him either the Monterey or the Cruiserfix for mine.

YinzerMama

I started booster training my DS in a Turbo because he's a little guy, and the Turbo almost always provides good belt fit on littles. I've since upgraded to a Recaro ProBooster and a Parkway SGL (that I actually just won, lol). I would say, if you can afford to upgrade without financial strain, it is worth it. The more expensive the booster (usually), the nicer features it has. Deeper sides, more padding, nicer feeling covers, etc. My DS prefers the ProBooster and the Parkway for comfort, but he likes the armrests on the TurboBooster the best. He sleeps well in any booster, so we don't really have out of position problems, but some people find their kids sleep better in boosters with deeper sides, which keeps them in position better.

The Graco really does have great arm rests. I feel like Graco ALMOST has so many things just right and they could just tweak this or that and make PERFECT reasonably priced seats - but they just don't. I don't get it.

MommyShannon

The padding in our Parkways, Vivo, and Olli really are nice. DD liked the TB ok, but the others are cushier for sure. The Olli is more like an actual vehicle seat and DD loves its armrests.

essnce629

DS1 definitely loved his Monterey and FR85 boosters. The TB is great for little kids, but DS1 didn't move to a booster full time till he was 8 and had already outgrown it by then. It seems cheap and tippy to me, but is perfect for my 5 year old carpool boy and 9 year old carpool boy (who is the size of a 5 year old). DS1 has always needed the extra height and shoulder width that the more expensive boosters have. They also fit better in the 3rd row of my Mazda5.

CTPDMom

Ambassador - CPS Technician
We have TBs and Montereys and an Oobr. The Monterey is worth the extra $ for comfort...we are often in the car for longer rides. But I am just as comfortable SAFETY wise ith him n the TB. :)

Athena

I know I appreciate the more premium features, but I was curious if my DD had noticed, so I just asked which HBB she prefers, her PWSGL or her Turbo. She said PWSGL. When asked why, she said, "because it's more comfier." :)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC