Como Probably a no-go for 4 yr old

Yoshi

Como Probably a no-go for 4 yr old-PICTURES

We got it today (thanks for the quick delivery Melissa:)) I got nervous at first because the box looked very beat-up, but inside all was ok. Even though I do like the seat overall, but I have some issues with it for an older child. My DD is 4 yrs old, 39lbs, 40" and has a 15 inch torso. The Como is narrower in the shoulder area that I had hoped. (Similar to the Marathon) DD is even with the 2nd to top slots with about 3" of growth left. Unfortunately, she is too squished in there- one layer of clothes, too. Also, it is WAYYYYYY too reclined FF for her. She just leans forward to see around her and looks like she is ready to blast off to Mars or something she is so laid back. It has a very shallow knee/depth area. The Evenflo Triumph Advance actually has more shoulder/hip/leg/knee room. Also, although the Como is very easy to install, BUT- if I didn't have switchable locking lap/shoulder belts, the built-in lock-offs would be useless, as they don't really seem to hold the seatbelt tight and it can slide thru if you pull. I love the deep wings and the fabric as well as the harness pads. Here are some photos:
100_0392.jpg

100_0391.jpg

100_0389.jpg

Last edited:
ADS

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
FWIW, that's about how much room Leila has left in her Husky :eek: I need to update my signature -- she's 44# 4 ft. tall now: she's really gaining weight now that she's learning to cook all the meals :p Hey, any chance you wanna add that funny last pic to my extended harness album? :love:

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
That's too bad. I had high hopes for it being the seat for me. I was hoping this would be a good "auntie" seat. Darn.

Yoshi

FWIW, that's about how much room Leila has left in her Husky :eek: I need to update my signature -- she's 44# 4 ft. tall now: she's really gaining weight now that she's learning to cook all the meals :p Hey, any chance you wanna add that funny last pic to my extended harness album? :love:
Sure Tiffany, just no name- but you can change her stats to 40 lbs (she is REAL close!) and 40" 4 yrs, 4 months old. (all those 4's....)

CDNTech

Senior Community Member
So now that you have a Como and a Radian in your possession... how do they compare? I can see the 3" she's got left in the Como when it's installed in the vehicle... how does that compare to what room she has left in the Radian when it's installed? While your at it... how much room does she have left in the Advance? I know, questions, questions, questions :D

Cindy&Connor

I have a question about the lockoffs. Dh's car is a '93 so his belts don't lock. I got a Signo at the dreamtime baby mistake price and I was excited because I wouldn't have to use a locking clip. Will I have to use one anyway? Does it say in the manual?

Yoshi

So now that you have a Como and a Radian in your possession... how do they compare? I can see the 3" she's got left in the Como when it's installed in the vehicle... how does that compare to what room she has left in the Radian when it's installed? While your at it... how much room does she have left in the Advance? I know, questions, questions, questions :D
She has about 2.5" in the Radian, and about 1.5" in the Evenflo Triumph Advance. (harnesses) Both the Radian and the Advance have WAY more knee depth (about 4" more in reality) than the Como. Shoulder room is just NOT available in the Como. My DD is not a linebacker by any standards, but it is just too tight. (she is wedged in). It gets arrower toward the top also. The leg/knee area of the Como is very short like the MA/DC/BV. Even though I hate having her in the Radian outboard (the only place it will install) it really is the best seat for her body. The Como sits high (as we all knew it did) but since it is BOTH high AND reclined (even in the upright position) it is a really strange seating position for an older child. Think: 10,9,8,7,6,5,4,3,2,1,0...All systems GO- LANUCH! The wings are awesome, though. ALL car seats should have such nice deep wings.

Yoshi

I have a question about the lockoffs. Dh's car is a '93 so his belts don't lock. I got a Signo at the dreamtime baby mistake price and I was excited because I wouldn't have to use a locking clip. Will I have to use one anyway? Does it say in the manual?
I attached the manual back to the seat and boxed it up, so I can't check for you. Maybe on your belts the lock-offs would work ok? Not sure I know anything else to say.:eek:

sixboys

This is bumming me out. I was hoping to get a Como for my five year old who is at the top of the Blvd. for height, with about 1/2 inch to go. He hated the MA because it is narrower in the shoulders than the Blvd., and his shoulders rounded out. He's a big guy too - 46 inches and 49 pounds. If you have time, would you mind measuring the shoulder width of the Como across the top 2 or 3 slots?

Yoshi

This is bumming me out. I was hoping to get a Como for my five year old who is at the top of the Blvd. for height, with about 1/2 inch to go. He hated the MA because it is narrower in the shoulders than the Blvd., and his shoulders rounded out. He's a big guy too - 46 inches and 49 pounds. If you have time, would you mind measuring the shoulder width of the Como across the top 2 or 3 slots?
I think lovinwaves measured it to be 11"? that's what I got....again, it is boxed up right now, but I believe your son might be too big if my 4 yr old is squished. She wears a size 5 top.

sixboys

I think lovinwaves measured it to be 11"? that's what I got....again, it is boxed up right now, but I believe your son might be too big if my 4 yr old is squished. She wears a size 5 top.

Thank you. I'll search lovinwaves posts to see if I can find it for certain.

He probably is too big though. Shoot! :(

cheerbop

So, do you compare thi seat in width of shoulders and seat depth with the MA for sure? And, do you think the recline is the same or more than the MA?
My 3.5yo is in one right now at 34lbs and 40". I hope he can get the use out of his MA since we just got him another one for DH car.

Yoshi

So, do you compare thi seat in width of shoulders and seat depth with the MA for sure? And, do you think the recline is the same or more than the MA?
My 3.5yo is in one right now at 34lbs and 40". I hope he can get the use out of his MA since we just got him another one for DH car.
I think the shoulder width is the same as the MA (I don't have one to measure, but used to have a DC, so I can remember how she fit) BUT, since the Como has such deep sides, there is no place for the arms to go, KWIM? Like she is in a great big infant bucket! And yes, it is more reclined.

ZephyrBlue

Wow, she looks like you'd need a crowbar to get her shoulders out! :( She's such a cutie pie, though :love: So are you sticking w/the Triumph Advance and Radian?

Yoshi

Wow, she looks like you'd need a crowbar to get her shoulders out! :( She's such a cutie pie, though :love: So are you sticking w/the Triumph Advance and Radian?
IRL it actually looked more wedged in than the photos! Yes, for now we are sticking with the Radian and the Triumph Advance. (We tried and didn't like the Regent last year)

Mama!

Oh yeah. I see what you mean! She looks way too big for the seat!

We got it specifically for the headrest and the recline when FF, but if we hadnt needed those things, I would have gotten a 2nd regent hands down. Sorry it didnt work for you!:(

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC