Thinking of boostering Colton

hrice

Part time in the day care van when they start picking him up from Kinder.

I keep going back and forth. I'm worried they won't tighten the harness properly, or the straps will get all twisty, his chest clip will be too low, etc. I've been obsessing over it and its driving me crazy so...

I switched our Maestro to booster mode and took him for a drive. He did great. I only reminded him to sit up straight twice. I am going to continue training him for the next few weeks and see how he does.

He is 5y2m and 40 pounds. I know that is an acceptable age for a booster as long as he sits properly but I had planned on harnessing till he is 7 and this is freaking me out a bit. I don't really know the point of this post. Maybe moral support? Sigh.

PS...I wasn't crazy about the fit of the Maestro so I am borrowing a friend's HB Turbo next week and will post some pics then :)

ADS

honeydew

If you choose not to booster him, can you install a seat with a continuous harness (Maestro) and have them leave the straps tight? Can he buckle himself?

Oh, and do you want me to wash the TB cover? I don't really let kids eat in my car, but I won't mind washing it.

MommyShannon

That's tough. I get both sides (and had similar concerns when the kids were with family). I stress over and over how to rote the belts under the arms to my kids. I like not having to worry about a seat being installed right or a loose harness, but worry about the shoulder belt not being right on a booster.

Athena

I'm glad it's going so well! I get your apprehension because I like to keep my kids harnessed longer too. However, in this situation, I might do the same thing. You have sound reasons for the decision and I hope it all works out well for you!

hrice

If you choose not to booster him, can you install a seat with a continuous harness (Maestro) and have them leave the straps tight? Can he buckle himself?

Oh, and do you want me to wash the TB cover? I don't really let kids eat in my car, but I won't mind washing it.

No need to wash.

It was almost impossible for ME to buckle the Maestro since it was next to another seat and the buckle is pretty far back. I hope it will be easier with the Turbo.

canadiangie

Instead of booster training could you "harness train" so that he knows to cue his dc provider if his harness isn't correct?

My kids have known for years that the harness needs to be tight, chest clip at armpits, and straps not twisted.

I only say this because I think there's this notion that booster = correct use, but that certainly isn't what I see IRL. Correct use of a booster means that the lap belt is snug, things are routed correctly, and the child is cued if out of position. All things the dc provider would need to be aware of, and you know, actually do in order for a booster to work well in a crash.

If anything I think that a booster seat is, for many people who don't know better, a 'get out of jail free card' ... what could be "easier" than a booster? There's nothing to a booster type mentality. Except there IS, as we know.

hrice

Instead of booster training could you "harness train" so that he knows to cue his dc provider if his harness isn't correct?

My kids have known for years that the harness needs to be tight, chest clip at armpits, and straps not twisted.

I only say this because I think there's this notion that booster = correct use, but that certainly isn't what I see IRL. Correct use of a booster means that the lap belt is snug, things are routed correctly, and the child is cued if out of position. All things the dc provider would need to be aware of, and you know, actually do in order for a booster to work well in a crash.

If anything I think that a booster seat is, for many people who don't know better, a 'get out of jail free card' ... what could be "easier" than a booster? There's nothing to a booster type mentality. Except there IS, as we know.

I feel very silly for not thinking to work with him on buckling. I'm going to do this instead. :)

He does know how tight it should be and where the chest clip goes. I have to show him about the straps getting twisted.

Persimmon

Sometimes I play a game with DS that he has to guess what is wrong with his harness. He loves it because he feels like he is catching me doing something wrong. I am so glad we do that because I was in a rush the other day, it was satanically hot, my purse spilled when he was climbing into his seat, and I forgot to tighten his harness. I was in the front seat about to back out of the driveway and I hear him say in a sing song voice, "Mommy, the harness it loose."

Hope all is well in your new place!

scoutingbear

If you decide to go the booster route, I really like the turbo for young kids. They can check to make sure the seatbelt is all "in the red". There is generally less room for user error with an older kiddo because they can check that part and know how to fix it. They don't always know how to fix twisted straps and other things that come up. I would also be worried about another child accidentally unbuckling his seat and no one knowing.

hrice

Thank you everyone. I am going to focus on teaching him to buckle his 5 harness before moving on to the booster option.

agave

If you decide to do the booster test him in your car first. Nora is the same age and weight and doing great. I switched her 2 days before her birthday. She started off great then after a few weeks tested every limit she could find. I was about to put her Frontier back in and she suddenly started acting perfect again, even sleeping perfectly, on the rare occasions she slept FF she had insane head slump. I intentionally do something wrong occasionally when buckling her to test her, just in case she rides with someone who doesn't know how to work her booster.

Phineasmama

My 4 year old knows how the seat belt is supposed to fit and be positioned...same as the harness.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC