Vent No number on the FAA sticker...can't use it.

Rebekah

Shocker...flight attendants that don't know their own company's policy for carseats. My 20-month-old DD flew in a lap belt only with a perfectly good and FAA certified seat in the overhead compartment because the idiots at Japan Airlines don't know how to read their own website.... Fortunately, nothing happened, and I don't have to sue them. They can definitely count on a nice scathing review from me, though. Vindictive? Maybe, but I didn't lug a 27 pound beast all the way to Korea to store it in the overhead.

They kept saying that the sticker stating FAA certified didn't have the Regulation number, and therefore didn't count.

ADS

4boysmom

Shocker...flight attendants that don't know their own company's policy for carseats. My 20-month-old DD flew in a lap belt only with a perfectly good and FAA certified seat in the overhead compartment because the idiots at Japan Airlines don't know how to read their own website.... Fortunately, nothing happened, and I don't have to sue them. They can definitely count on a nice scathing review from me, though. Vindictive? Maybe, but I didn't lug a 27 pound beast all the way to Korea to store it in the overhead.

They kept saying that the sticker stating FAA certified didn't have the Regulation number, and therefore didn't count.

Does JAPAN airlines have to follow the federal regulations of the US though?

The Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) is the national aviation authority of the United States of America.

Rebekah

They were fine with using a seat as long as it was FAA or E1 certified. The problem was that they didn't think the sticker stating as such on the Radian was good enough because their poorly translated paper said something to the effect of "the seat must have a sticker verifying FAA certification in accordance with FMVSS...." They were saying that because the sticker simply stated FAA-certified for use in aircraft, but without the reg number on it, the sticker didn't count and the seat could not be used.

Rebekah

And for the record, I know and realize that JAPAN airlines is not a US carrier and does not have to follow US regulations. I also realize that the FAA is a US governing authority. That was never the issue. I checked their website and everything indicated that it could be used. The flight attendant's ignorance of their company's policy was the issue. Thanks for assuming that I am stupid.

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
And for the record, I know and realize that JAPAN airlines is not a US carrier and does not have to follow US regulations. I also realize that the FAA is a US governing authority. That was never the issue. I checked their website and everything indicated that it could be used. The flight attendant's ignorance of their company's policy was the issue. Thanks for assuming that I am stupid.

I don't think anyone thought you were stupid. Sometimes people don't realize the difference between regulations, and sometimes people assume that FAA regulations pertain to flights to/from the US regardless of the carrier's origin. Your prior response (about the certifications they accept) summed things up nicely.

4boysmom

I never called you stupid and I appoligize if you thought I was. I do not have much flying experience at all and had to double check what "FAA" actually stood for. I thought it was a US based thing but had to google it for sure. Given the fact I don't ever anticipate needing the info (ever needing to fly out of the US with a child in car seat) it was an honest question. I vaguely recalled some people saying that leaving the US some times there are no issues on foreign flights but that coming in they can do whatever they want or vis versa (rules based on destination not where you are leaving from). Honestly it was a question not only for you but to have "on record" if anyone knew the answer (and answered it) for future reference if anyone needed the same info.

YinzerMama

In my experience - let your anger cool, then go as high as you can looking for a plausible explanation/apology before writing a scathing review. Gives people less grounds to say you are merely vindictive. Although to be honest I expect your review will most likely be read by americans, who are less likely to defend a foreign airline.

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
I never called you stupid and I appoligize if you thought I was. I do not have much flying experience at all and had to double check what "FAA" actually stood for. I thought it was a US based thing but had to google it for sure. Given the fact I don't ever anticipate needing the info (ever needing to fly out of the US with a child in car seat) it was an honest question. I vaguely recalled some people saying that leaving the US some times there are no issues on foreign flights but that coming in they can do whatever they want or vis versa (rules based on destination not where you are leaving from). Honestly it was a question not only for you but to have "on record" if anyone knew the answer (and answered it) for future reference if anyone needed the same info.

In case anyone needs to know, FAA regulations pertain to airlines based in the US, regardless of the point of origin or destination. Other countries and other airlines might work differently.

Generally, if an airline allows certified car seats, they'll accept certification from any country. (So, in the US, a seat with a foreign stamp of approval for airline use is just fine--it doesn't have to be FMVSS.)

Rebekah

I never called you stupid and I appoligize if you thought I was.

Thanks for clarifying. I honestly do appreciate it. Tone and intent are so difficult to determine online, especially with a stranger, and this was (still is, but better) a touchy subject with me at the time.

In my experience - let your anger cool, then go as high as you can looking for a plausible explanation/apology before writing a scathing review. Gives people less grounds to say you are merely vindictive. Although to be honest I expect your review will most likely be read by americans, who are less likely to defend a foreign airline.

I don't think that the complaint that I submitted ended up being as scathing as I originally had planned, but great advice worth listening to for sure. Fortunately, I had a 12-hour flight and a whole night's rest before I was able to write it. I even complimented the service of the other cabin attendants (minus the lead who was misinformed). Now, I wait for the reply.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC