Question Two RF convertible car seats in 2010 Prius?

U

Unregistered

Strongly considering buying a 2010 Prius, but am worried about fitting two RF convertible car seats. We have only one dd (eight months old) now, and she's RF in a Safety First Onside Air. If all goes as planned (but when does it ever?), baby #2 won't arrive until she's at least 2 years old. So I know one RF and one FF is a possibility then, but I'd like to keep her RF longer. Husband and I are both about 6 feet tall, so driver/passenger seat space is somewhat of an issue.

So long story short: do two RF convertible car seats fit in the back without bracing against the front seats, preferably at least one of them being the Onside Air?

ADS

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
We have a 2010 Prius. As a compact car, let room is always going to be at a premium in a Prius. Taller than average convertibles are definitely going to be a compromise. In addition, depending on the labeling of your Onside Air, the line level requirement may also compromise some space by forcing it to be reclined to 45 degrees.

An average sized convertible like a Britax Marathon/Boulevard would give you more space, plus it can be installed more upright for older kids.

Is a Prius V a possibility? That would offer more legroom, but of course is also more expensive and somewhat less fuel efficient.

Carrie_R

Ambassador - CPS Technician
Welcome!

Great job knowing that your daughter is safer rear-facing past two years! You are absolutely right on that count.

I worked with a family who has three kids, and a Prius. When they just had their two, we had a forward-facing seat of some sort, and a rear-facing Cosco Scenera in there. (It's the same shell as the Onside Air you have now, actually.) Once they had baby number three, we moved to Radians with a Graco Snugride - it was a tight fit, but the Snugride fit okay between the two front seats. The only caveat is that both parents are petite, so I'm not sure how well it would work with taller parents.

Now that #3 is older, we moved him to a rear-facing Radian, with an angle adjuster, and it fits okay. He's in the middle. If I recall correctly, the angle adjuster was absolutely essential to get it in there, and it really only worked well in the middle.

I would definitely research seats that can be installed more upright. The Radian is one, the Britaxes Darren mentioned are another, Gracos, too. There are probably more and I can't think of them off the top of my head!

So yes, I think it is do-able, but it will definitely require some research to ensure you are purchasing seats that install relatively upright - and you may not have as great a selection of seats as you want.

I hope that helps! :)

U

Unregistered

Thank you - that does help. I know it'll be a tight fit, but I wanted to make sure it was really possible. We'll be getting new car seats anyway, so it's good to know what to look for.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC