Keeping the shoulder on

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Unless it's coming from the original owner of the seat who is a trusted friend or family member, knows the whole history of the seat, and is "up" on correct treatment of car seats (has never improperly cleaned it, checked it on an airplane, etc.) and whom you trust with your child's life, used car seats are not generally recommended. (If you trust the techs and advocates here, you may find one of them has one to sell if you post in our ISO forum- though you may also find that they don't since pre-2012 compliant seats aren't supposed to be passed on- and I still recommend making sure that you feel you "know" that person, because buying is always at your own risk.)

I have a daughter with SPD as well and while it took her a while to be able to go full-time, by 7 1/2, only a little later than the typical spread (5 1/2-7 is fairly typical, with outliers on both sides) she was ready for a full-time booster and hasn't rode harnessed since, and is now 9. :) She does still use a high-backed booster, both because she's petite and it helps it fit better, and also for comfort. You may find when he DOES outgrow the harness, that you need to try several boosters to find one that he's comfortable in.

ADS

evereg

I have a daughter with SPD as well and while it took her a while to be able to go full-time, by 7 1/2, only a little later than the typical spread (5 1/2-7 is fairly typical, with outliers on both sides) she was ready for a full-time booster and hasn't rode harnessed since, and is now 9. :) She does still use a high-backed booster, both because she's petite and it helps it fit better, and also for comfort. You may find when he DOES outgrow the harness, that you need to try several boosters to find one that he's comfortable in.
OK, you guys are making me reconsider and dipping into our saving for a better car seat. Thanks, I do value safety, but I guess I needed some time to mull the expense over.

I'll just throw something else out there. What about getting the Parkway SGL?

Last edited:

Chely7425

OK, you guys are making me reconsider and dipping into our saving for a better car seat. Thanks, I do value safety, but I guess I needed some time to mull the expense over.

I'll just throw something else out there. What about getting the Parkway SGL?

The SGL won't help anything, the shoulder belt will still be an issue.

evereg

Thanks for the help and advice everyone, we bought a Frontier XT on sale. Cowmooflage is a witty name for the seat covers.

Any tips for installing the seat in a Saturn Vue? It is moving more than inch to the sides. Should I post this question somewhere else on this forum?

featherhead

Thanks for the help and advice everyone, we bought a Frontier XT on sale. Cowmooflage is a witty name for the seat covers.

Any tips for installing the seat in a Saturn Vue? It is moving more than inch to the sides. Should I post this question somewhere else on this forum?

That's great! I'm glad you were able to make it work :) If you post over in the installation forum, I'm sure you will get some help there.

Keeyamah

Thanks. Does anyone ever get comments about being over cautious with having a 6 year old in a harnessed? If yes, any witty come backs?

Myself, I plan on skipping being witty and saying the truth (in my case, when I tried to booster train my oldest) "He moved to much and distracted me as a driver." But that is me, if that won't work for you I hope you can come up with something.

evereg

Myself, I plan on skipping being witty and saying the truth (in my case, when I tried to booster train my oldest) "He moved to much and distracted me as a driver." But that is me, if that won't work for you I hope you can come up with something.
That would work. Thank you!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC