Bubblebum questions

Morganthe

I'm hoping someone on here has some experience using this with a larger older child or can offer some advice.

DD just officially measured at 4'8.5 (57.5") & 92lbs. Turning 10 in Sept, short waisted, so she's not to where she can go with only a 3pt in many vehicles just yet. Awful inbetween stage where it creeps up on her belly and the shoulder belt is over her neck. :( Muscular & lean, except her hip area where she's started to fill out, which makes the arm rest areas too short and too tight for her now on her older nbb. She only now fits the Monterey backless booster. Nothing else I've found nearby in stores works for her anymore. I know from experience with her, she's likely to grow more before October, but not likely to add any more weight.

In 6 weeks, she & I will be travelling overseas with backpacks and using public transportation for the first half of our trip. The second part will be using a rental and/or friend's car, so I know she needs something. Space will be at a premium, so I'm not carrying a backless around with us, nor do I want to locally purchase a nbb just for those days due to cost and difficulty in trying to find one that fits her.

So that leaves the Bubblebum.
According to the website, the weight limit is 100lbs and their height rec is 57" (which isn't really my concern).
Basically I need to know: Is the seat area big and comfortable enough to support a kid within 10lbs before their 'limit' for any length of driving time? Does anyone know this from experience?
According to the search engine, there is a store fairly near by that carries these. I just have to call and see if there are any in stock. But if it's something that is impractical to use after 80-85lbs, I just won't bother. I'll try to figure out something else.

Any glimmers of wisdom are very much appreciated. :love:
tia

ADS

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
It depends on the kid. Builds vary widely.

Kathy had some pictures on her blog of an 84 lb. kid but they seem to be gone. I'll see if she has them elsewhere...

LM4M

CPST Instructor
I'm hoping someone on here has some experience using this with a larger older child or can offer some advice.

DD just officially measured at 4'8.5 (57.5") & 92lbs. Turning 10 in Sept, short waisted, so she's not to where she can go with only a 3pt in many vehicles just yet. Awful inbetween stage where it creeps up on her belly and the shoulder belt is over her neck. :( Muscular & lean, except her hip area where she's started to fill out, which makes the arm rest areas too short and too tight for her now on her older nbb. She only now fits the Monterey backless booster. Nothing else I've found nearby in stores works for her anymore. I know from experience with her, she's likely to grow more before October, but not likely to add any more weight.

In 6 weeks, she & I will be travelling overseas with backpacks and using public transportation for the first half of our trip. The second part will be using a rental and/or friend's car, so I know she needs something. Space will be at a premium, so I'm not carrying a backless around with us, nor do I want to locally purchase a nbb just for those days due to cost and difficulty in trying to find one that fits her.

So that leaves the Bubblebum.
According to the website, the weight limit is 100lbs and their height rec is 57" (which isn't really my concern).
Basically I need to know: Is the seat area big and comfortable enough to support a kid within 10lbs before their 'limit' for any length of driving time? Does anyone know this from experience?
According to the search engine, there is a store fairly near by that carries these. I just have to call and see if there are any in stock. But if it's something that is impractical to use after 80-85lbs, I just won't bother. I'll try to figure out something else.

Any glimmers of wisdom are very much appreciated. :love:
tia

My daughter is identical in stats as yours. And I happen to have a bubblebum if you want photos/review. ETA: she will be 10 at the end of the month, and is 58 inches and 91.5 lbs.

Morganthe

Because it's just what I do...

57.5" is 4'9.5".

Thanks. :D Really, it's no problem. :D I have no issues or ego with correction in math, especially on a rainy achy day. My brain is definitely fogged even after copious amounts of caffeine.
I was told 4'8.5 and then I converted to inches.

Regardless... :crying: finding clothes that fit & suit HER is HARD :crying:

:love: LM4M, if your dd submits to photos that would be great! If she doesn't, don't fight her, please. :eek:
Does she find riding in it for any length of time difficult? We're probably looking at 2-3 hours in a car at several points.

Qarin

What are you doing today? Maybe we could get together- I have a Bubble Bum you could try out (and I'm considering ordering a second, to bring with us on a trip where there are no scheduled car trips but You Just Never Know- we'll be in Florida for a cruise + WDW with my mom).

Morganthe

Sounds great, except for one thing. :duck: DD's at Medina until 4pm for her 'Be a Vet' daycamp. She's loving it. Long day with them from dropoff at 8:15. Loads of science stuff. Then I get to fight traffic home. Thankfully, it's the final day. 5 miles with lots of fellow drivers. :eek: I liked Mercer Slough location better. I've gotten really good knowing shortcuts, but still. 405 is a parking lot at that time. Thankfully, I don't get on it, just pass under it, but downtown & approach is nasty.

Next week she has swimming lessons at 11:15 each day at Samena. Is there a day your girls want to meet after lunch to swim? I'll sponsor y'all if you do. :D BTW, the trampoline is now up too. So there's actually (gasp) something to do other than be inside here at the house. I know dd has missed yours. She had lots of fun with them in May.

The local store is out of stock and won't get them in for at least 2 weeks. Amazon has them and I have prime, so I might go that route to get one. If we can meet up next week and test it out, that would be great. If it doesn't fit, I really don't know what I'll do. :scratcheshead:

MsFacetious

I am wondering the same thing...
We are going to get 2 BubbleBums for "just in case" on our trip.

We are going to reserve boosters at the car rental place... but I'm not very trusting.
Just in case they don't have our seats, or they suck, we want the BubbleBums just in case.
I'm still not thrilled with the idea at all... but we certainly can't bring high back boosters for a 9 and 10 year old.

But I also want to make sure that these are going to be comfortable enough for them to use.
We will be driving 2 hours one way, maybe more than once.

Mysweethoneybee

I happen to know that while not "correct" the bubblebum will hold a 105 lbs kid and the kid found it comfortable though their feet touch the floor so they didn't have issues with needing leg support.

Dillipop

I just ordered one from Target for $40 plus a free $10 gift card with my Target card to get free shipping and 5% off. If you have a Target card, it's probably worth having it shipped to your house and then you can return if needed to the store.

Qarin

I just ordered one from Target for $40 plus a free $10 gift card with my Target card to get free shipping and 5% off. If you have a Target card, it's probably worth having it shipped to your house and then you can return if needed to the store.

Oh, that's a good deal! If I hadn't just tentatively arranged with Ali to borrow hers for our trip I'd be all over that.

Morganthe

I happen to know that while not "correct" the bubblebum will hold a 105 lbs kid and the kid found it comfortable though their feet touch the floor so they didn't have issues with needing leg support.
Good to know. :thumbsup: That info is very much appreciated. Thank you :D
I have faith now that it's the best and probably only seat that will work for us with our odd upcoming situation.
:love: There's one that will soon make its way to my home as a gift from a really kind individual on the forum. :love:

finn

My tall 6.5 year old comfortably uses his when we travel or when we have a tight 3 across. He stayed happily on it for 3 hours recently. He is 48.4 inches and 50lbs (so a little way off the limits, ours is a European version and is only rated to 80lbs and 58.3inches). He wears size7 T's and size 8 pants.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC