Maestro vs. securekid 400?

super_grape

I need a new seat for DS and am considering both of these. My hesitation with the securekid is head slump. I really, really want to try the new sure latch connectors and I also need a seat that is easy for DH to install. I don't want to deal with head slump tho. Or at least head slump like what we had in the nautilus.

Is there a head slump issue with the securekid? If so, how does it compare to the nautilus head slump?

Thanks so much:)!

ADS

aporthole

I've heard of some kids having slump issues in the SecureKids. The Maestro is apparently slightly better for avoiding head slump since the headrest area is 1 piece with the shell versus adjustable headrest on the SecureKids. We have a Maestro for my 4 year old and I haven't had any hands on experience with the SecureKids so I can't comment on how they directly compare.

Our Maestro is in my hubby's car (03' VW Jetta) so it can be installed with LATCH to the limits of the seat since the Maestro weighs less than 11 lbs. LATCH install is very easy and always rock solid as long as you pull the cover back on the LATCH adjuster side and tighten back and up through the belt path.

We've been pretty happy with the Maestro for my hubby's car and as a spare/travel seat. The lack of harness covers and the narrow harness straps around the neck are a little annoying, but my son only complained about it once and generally doesn't mind it. He's slept in the Maestro quite a few times. His head slumped a little a couple times, but generally doesn't.

bnsnyde

We have the Securekid 300. It is soooooo easy to install. I didn't want to deal with a fancy latch thing. The seatbelt install, though, is great! Anyway he is over 40 lbs.

The thing I don't like is the buckle is hard to release. Good for a kid, bad for mommy, whose thumbs hurt.

Not sure about head slump as he never sleeps in the car.

The Maestro was outgrown too quickly for us by weight, with my other kid.

And the Securekid seems to have awesome big headwings; love them!

aporthole

Evenflo will send you a new easy peasy buckle if you contact them. The buckle on our Maestro was sometimes quite difficult to release. I sent them an email a couple months ago and they sent me the new style. It is super easy. My 4 year old can buckle and unbuckle easily with the new one whereas the old one was often difficult for even my husband.

If your vehicle allows you to recline the seat back a few clicks like in a captain's chair, you should be fine either way. If it is in the back on a fixed angle you may or may not have some slump issues.

cookie123

Evenflo will send you a new easy peasy buckle if you contact them. The buckle on our Maestro was sometimes quite difficult to release. I sent them an email a couple months ago and they sent me the new style. It is super easy. My 4 year old can buckle and unbuckle easily with the new one whereas the old one was often difficult for even my husband.

If your vehicle allows you to recline the seat back a few clicks like in a captain's chair, you should be fine either way. If it is in the back on a fixed angle you may or may not have some slump issues.

Really? They said they had no such thing when I contacted them. Maybe I'll try again.

We have the Secure Kid 400, which is the one with Sure Latch. It works great in my dd's Routan and it's light, so if you have the 65 lbs weight limit for latch it's great. Works great in my car too. Head slump doesn't happen - Matt never sleeps in the car. He can do up and undo his buckle however.

super_grape

Thanks everyone! I discovered yesterday that were getting the pioneer for $249 and babiesrus will start carrying that huge new evenflo convertible (secure something?) so I've found a couple more seats to confuse myself with now:p.

I'm in Canada...forgot to mention that.

super_grape

Ok, we tried out the securekid and unfortunately the head slump is a BIG issue:(. It's so bad his chin almost touches his chest when he's sitting in the seat, fully awake! And he doesn't like it, he keeps putting his hands behind his neck and trying to stretch his head back.

I also tried out the symphony and the fit in car is much better, and the fit for my son is fantastic too! I HATE the extra foam at the foot of the seat tho! It makes getting him in MUCH harder! It's already a Goliath of a seat, to begin with:p.

So, unless I LOVE the pioneer and it comes NOW, it looks like we're symphony owners:). I wish the securekid would have worked for him. I prefer the nice thick harness and the splitter plate!

jnamommy

Will they send a new buckle for the Maestro or the SecureKid? We have one of each, and the buckles a huge pain for my mom to undo. And unfortunately, dd cannot do them herself yet either.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC