Where's the safety for us?

brightredmtn

Is anyone else jealous of EPS foam and SIP? Why don't they put that stuff in grown up seats? I realize it might be a little difficult to drive with TSIP wings like on a Blvd. but how about on the passenger head rests? I don't think my mobility would be hampered if my seat was shaped like a Radian. Where's the love for us?

ADS

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Your ds in your siggy pic looks concerned...just like your post.. :)
We have to go buy Recaro racing seats and have them installed in our cars... butt hugging shape and 4 pt harness...

brightredmtn

Your ds in your siggy pic looks concerned...just like your post.. :)

You are right I didn't notice that! He is probably worried about having his picture taken with a stupid hat and it being put on the internet.

We have to go buy Recaro racing seats and have them installed in our cars... butt hugging shape and 4 pt harness...

That is very cool! Maybe someday that safety will be something standard. How much does that run you if you don't mind me asking?

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Gosh, I haven't really looked into it, it's just something I breeze by in google searches from time to time (I'm guessing in the low thousands? for installation too... might as well buy a new car with loads of side airbags and good safety ratings....) :whistle:

southpawboston

Is anyone else jealous of EPS foam and SIP? Why don't they put that stuff in grown up seats? I realize it might be a little difficult to drive with TSIP wings like on a Blvd. but how about on the passenger head rests? I don't think my mobility would be hampered if my seat was shaped like a Radian. Where's the love for us?

well, most grownup seats *are* pretty well padded.

but most people who like to drive like grannies don't want seats that are "sculpted" to their bodies like a SIP carseat. that's why you see cars like buicks and cadillacs with pretty much flat seats in which you can practically slide ride across the car. some cars' seats do actually cradle you and provide plenty of lateral support, although i wouldn't go so far as to say it actually acts as SIP. most sports cars have sculpted seats. interestingly, volvos have some of the most sculpted seats and headrests out there. i read somewhere that their seats and headrests catch your head and body in a read-end collision like a baseball mitt catches a ball.

skaterbabs

The biggest issue is that a really safe adult seat is a pain in the rear end for installing child seats, which is why you rarely see the sculpted seats in the backseat.

brightredmtn

but most people who like to drive like grannies don't want seats that are "sculpted" to their bodies like a SIP carseat. that's why you see cars like buicks and cadillacs with pretty much flat seats in which you can practically slide ride across the car.

That reminds me of one of my favorite Cake songs "Stick Shifts and Safety Belts."

"Stickshifts and safetybelts,
Bucket seats have all got to go.
When we're driving in the car,
It makes my baby seem so far.
I need you here with me,
Not way over in a bucket seat.
I need you to be here with me,
Not way over in a bucket seat.
But when we're driving in my Malibu,
It's easy to get right next to you.
I say, "Baby, scoot over, please."
And then she's right there next to me."

southpawboston

The biggest issue is that a really safe adult seat is a pain in the rear end for installing child seats, which is why you rarely see the sculpted seats in the backseat.

i doubt the car makers give a rat's *** about ease of carseat installation in the rear seat. or if they do , i doubt that's the reason back seats aren't sculpted. (think about it... they've been flat long before child carseats became popular). the reason the rear seats are not that sculpted is because most cars are designed with the front seat passengers' comfort and support in mind over the rear seat passengers. you're much more likely to have a front adult passenger than a rear adult passenger, statistically speaking.

TN Mary

Just saw a wreck right in front of me today... a big F-150 hit a young woman right on the driver side of her little VW Jetta.

I parked my van... ran over to her and she wasn't wearing her seat belt. Her head hit the side of her vehicle pretty good and she didn't have side airbags.

Thankfully the truck wasn't going too fast and the woman didn't get seriously injured. She was shaking and just kept holding her head. I called 911 and thankfully, help came soon.

All I kept thinking was how I want side curtain airbags! Too many idiots on the road!

wondering1

Ford is working on 4-point harnesses....they are aiming for 2012 I believe. We should all contact them and tell them we are very interested and want to be part of the focus groups giving feedback on improvements they can make to it before it hits production.

:)

kaylee18

I think the biggest factor is that we are not (statistically, as a demographic group) concerned about our own safety. Public health officials are still working on campaigns just to convince us to fasten. our. seatbelts. :rolleyes: There's no market for safer adult seats because adults don't care about being safer. They care about making their kids safer, so cars and carseats to transport kids are constantly being improved. But themselves? Not so much.

Now, though I've been an adult for quite a few years now, I'd personally love to ride in a RF seat installed center rear (when no kids are on board) with a tether and SIP wings and full EPP. But manufacturers will never make such a seat, because I'm quite possibly the only adult in the world who would buy one.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC