Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

+ Reply to Thread

Question Radian vs. NextFit or something else...

I currently have a Radian with AA installed in my 2003 Mitsubishi Outlander for my 21 month old. Even with the AA, I can't push the seats back for my SO to drive comfortably. How does the NextFit compare in size, front to back, with a Radian? Is there something else that is a little more compact or that just may fit better? Possibly My Size 70? Kiddo has always around the 20th percentile on the growth charts, so I'm not worried about him outgrowing in height or weight before his 3rd birthday.
    Last edited by annahugstrees; 07-29-2013 at 06:08 PM. Reason: to add more info :)

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Re: Radian vs. NextFit or something else...

Here is a thread with a bunch of pics of the Nextfit next to the Radian.
    http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=243114&page=2

Some ideas - safety 1st complete air, evenflo triumph, any Britax seat. The nextfit and Mysize are both also possibilities. The Truefit can also be installed really upright and doesn't take up that much front to back space with it installed at 35 degrees. But it's really wide and has a 35 lb RF limit.
    Ellen - Mom to Elise 2.5y RF in a Britax Two-Way Elite, Clek Foonf, Axkid Kidzofix, and Axkid Minikid.

4. Thank You from:

I love Britax seats for average to below average size kiddos. They fit well in small spaces (front to back). We also have a Complete Air, but even more upright it takes up more space than our Britax seats. The True Fit is nice too but takes up a little more space.
    ~Shannon
    DD (11.5) Seatbelt; DS (9) Incognito; DD2 (7) Britax Parkway; DD3 (4.5) Graco Nautilus

6. Thank You from:

Another question - how far into the seat bight does the RF boot have to be? Right now I have it pushed in as far and hard as I could get it to achieve the 1" or less movement at the belt path, but I'm wondering if I pull it out a little, I might be able to push the foot of the Radian farther down into the seat, making it less reclined. Does that make sense? If I can still achieve the less than 1" of movement without the boot all the way in the bight, can I install that way?

Itchy&Scratchy

I have a Britax Marathon 70 fitting beautifully behind the driver's seat in a 2005 Mitsubishi Outlander. My hubby is 6'1" and he fits just fine. Since your kid is in 20% for height, the Marathon should last him awhile. Mine's in 99% and ran out of space RFing by 27 months and 37".

I have just bought a Radian RXT and I managed to fit it in the middle of the back seat, with the back of it wedged between the front seats without AA, belt installation. I am waiting for my AA to arrive this week - it should help.
    Did you try installing it in the middle?

Quote Originally Posted by Itchy&Scratchy View Post
    I have a Britax Marathon 70 fitting beautifully behind the driver's seat in a 2005 Mitsubishi Outlander. My hubby is 6'1" and he fits just fine. Since your kid is in 20% for height, the Marathon should last him awhile. Mine's in 99% and ran out of space RFing by 27 months and 37".

I have just bought a Radian RXT and I managed to fit it in the middle of the back seat, with the back of it wedged between the front seats without AA, belt installation. I am waiting for my AA to arrive this week - it should help.
    Did you try installing it in the middle?

IT is installed in the middle, but I was told that the vehicle doesn't allow bracing because of the air bags.

Carseat Crazy

check your manual, my vehicle specifically says i can't have anything touching the seat rails on the floor and no rf tethering because of the advanced airbags but nothing about bracing, if you heard it from the salesman at the dealership he may have no idea what he is talking about, i know our salesman had no clue about anything car-seat related at all.