Airline Gave me a new seat....

U

Unregistered

I had what I think to be an Evenflo Triumph 5. Northwest Airlines trashed it. It came off the baggage claim in pieces! They immediately gave me a replacement car seat so that I had something to put my son in. They also gave me a claim ticket. Problem...this new car seat comes with no owner's manual. I have no clue what it is other than Evenflo. I went on their web site, but can't find the car seat there. Which makes me wonder just how old it is. I am trying to find this information to compose my letter of claim to the airline. I just know the one they gave is some fifty dollar "special" and I don't think it's an adequate replacement for my $150 one. In addition, I know nothing of the safety specs on this new one! Can anyone offer any insight into finding out this information and/or making this claim? Thanks.

ADS

crunchierthanthou

Do you see it here That will at least help us narrow it down to find the manual.

Has the replacement be used before? If so, I wouldn't use that seat any longer than absolutely necessary. You have no idea what the history is.

Also, you've probably realized that it's best not to check carseats as luggage. It's a bummer that it was trashed, but at least it was visible damage so that you know it has to be replaced.

lovemyfamily

If they are replacing your seat, they should only give you that temporary seat until you can get a check from them and purchase a new seat to replace your old one. That is ridiculous that they are replacing your old seat with a used seat. I would NOT accept that!!!
Just another reason why we should try our hardest to never counter check a carseat. Proof of what can happen.
I am sorry you are going through this.

jebedyah

Is there a label on the seat with a model number and date of manufacture? You should be able to call Evenflo (1-800-233-5921) with that information and get the model name as well as a manual.

mom2pjs

Senior Community Member
I have had to sign waivers when flying that they will not be responsible for replacement/ damage to the car seat (Aloha), but I've always gate checked on other airlines. Good luck. I have now idea what other airlines do, but a used seat with no manual. Yikes.

bobandjess99

Senior Community Member
Well, it *is* possible the seat is newish, because for some odd reason, Evenflo does NOT have pics of all their current seats on their site. My dd's seat, which is just now a year old and brand new ones are in the stores currently, is NOT on their site! harumph! But no manula is awful, and the seat should just be a loaner for you to use, NOT compensation for your seat, you should still get a check for that!

lovemyfamily

I just spoke with a friend who works customer service for Jet Blue. She said that if your seat is damaged, you get a check for the replacement cost of the identical seat. They DO give out loaners, until the check comes, as that has to come from the main office. She said when she worked for another airline, I think it was SWA, it was the same way and she can't imagine any airline asking you to take a used seat in exchange for yours. She said they don't even try to replace your used luggage with another piece of used, unclaimed, luggage, if they lose yours. I would not accept that seat as my permanent replacement, and be on the phone with anyone who I need to be, to get a check for a NEW seat. The check should cover what it costs to replace a seat like you had.

teekadog

Wow, that's incredibly good service in comparison to how I was treated by American Airlines when they snapped the handle off my new Sit-n-Stroll. They gave me nuthin'. Said it was in their Contract of Carriage that they are not responsible for any checked baby items. I checked the Contracts of several other major airlines at the same time, and found the same clause. So we stopped checking our seats. Now we've just given up flying :cool:

crunchierthanthou

I just spoke with a friend who works customer service for Jet Blue. She said that if your seat is damaged, you get a check for the replacement cost of the identical seat. They DO give out loaners, until the check comes, as that has to come from the main office. She said when she worked for another airline, I think it was SWA, it was the same way and she can't imagine any airline asking you to take a used seat in exchange for yours. She said they don't even try to replace your used luggage with another piece of used, unclaimed, luggage, if they lose yours. I would not accept that seat as my permanent replacement, and be on the phone with anyone who I need to be, to get a check for a NEW seat. The check should cover what it costs to replace a seat like you had.

Wow, that's incredibly good service in comparison to how I was treated by American Airlines when they snapped the handle off my new Sit-n-Stroll. They gave me nuthin'. Said it was in their Contract of Carriage that they are not responsible for any checked baby items. I checked the Contracts of several other major airlines at the same time, and found the same clause. So we stopped checking our seats. Now we've just given up flying :cool:

Yeah, I'm (completely) biased, but JetBlue might not be the best example of what you can expect from airline customer service. :p

lovemyfamily

My DH is a pilot for US Airways, and he and I both think they have the WORST customer service of any airline around. hehe But when they broke the wheel of my mom's brand new roller board, they told her, had she not been traveling on my DH's travel benefits, they would have replaced the bag for her. Not the best customer service, but it was good to know that they would at least replace the bag, if she had paid full fare for her tickets. Great way to treat family of your employees hunh?
LOL
I am going to have DH grab a ticket jacket next time he is at the airport, it will be a while as I am a hunting widow for 2 weeks, and see if there is any clause in there about checking baby items. It should definetly have to be pointed out when you do check the item, if they are not responsible, and not just told to you after the damage occurs, so you have the option to not check it at the counter.
I remember others posting about damage to their carseats etc., who received a replacement, on here. Might have been a while ago though.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC