Honda Odyssey Battery (draining) question.

MySillyKids

Last saturday (the 8th) I went out to the van to clean it out. I had it turned in the 'on' position, but the car was not started. The XM cut out, and i thought it was just the XM, and tried to change the channel. Didnt think anything of it.

I went to try to start the van. No dice. The battery was 'dead'. so i go and wake my DH, who was NOT impressed that i decided to wake him for that. (LOL thats another story). He said whatever, and he went back to sleep.

When he got up on his own terms, the van started fine for him, and he was able to use it with no issues. he even used it idoling for 3+ hours (hey the telescope needed to have juice to move i guess ROFL).

I have been using it all week with NO issues at all.

Fast forward to yesterday morning. I went to load up the kids for DS2's therapy, and the van was DEAD. The battery was fully dead. TG we had a new car that i could take the kids in, so i had to manually open all the doors (that sucked) and get DS2's seat, and put it back in the RDX.

DH took the battery out, and took it to Auto zone (get in the zone, auto zoooone). They said that the battery was 'fine' just drained. As in something was left on.

NOTHING. Nothing has been left ON at all.

Nothing.

So, DH is at the point to call honda, to see if anything else is wrong with the van.

Ugh..

sound familiar to anyone?

TIA!

ADS

southpawboston

no dome lights or map lights were left on? those could drain the battery overnight, but not in a few minutes.

is there a cargo area light that may have been left on which wouldn't be too noticeable? or a door ajar?

laurenrachey

If you can get it cranked, go to Auto Zone and have them test the alternator (they can roll a cart out there to check it). Make sure there are no lose wires anywhere (such as the battery cables).

MySillyKids

Yea, NOTHING has been left on. Thats the odd thing.

In the van, there's a 3 way button for the dome lights, where you can leave them in: "on, Doors, Off"

I always leave it in off.

Yea laurenrachey, thats why DH wants to take it to Honda.

its extremely odd.

laurenrachey

You might try Auto Zone first just to rule out the alternator, they will check it totally free. If it was the alternator, you would know exactly what to tell Honda if you take it there for repairs (I have a handy hubby :thumbsup: )

I asked DH about it and those were his suggestions...alternator not charging the battery properly, or a loose wire somewhere.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Yup, it's happened to me a few times... it comes and goes, usually it gets moody in winter and won't start... I just try to be careful that the doors are closed properly, lights off, XM off (which I think I left it on a couple days ago...sigh... I hope it starts...)

Good idea to check the alternator, anyway (dunno if they did at that my 45K checkup...? there weren't any expensive repairs then, anyway)

MySillyKids

okay. Thanks!!

The XM is built into the van, so it turns off when the key is out.

It needs to go to the dealer anyways, because the light for the VSP ? (forgot the third letter) for the parking assistance is out.

beeman

yup, check alternator, and battery cables. If it's not in those areas, and you have a battery charger, then you go into the process of elimination in the fuse panel overnight. This one takes a little time, but helps narrow down where the short is.

heyruthie

i have an '02. mine has also inexplicably done this. it is often accompanied by a "clicking" sound for a day or so before it happens. we've never been able to figure out what the problem is.

C

chervalenti

THis is happening to me too! I took it to the dealership and they said my battery was bad so I went to Auto Zone tested it and it was fine plus I had a 3 year warranty on it and it's only 1 year old. So they charged it all the way, took it back and they did an electrical test and said I need new battery cables. So I am in the process of ordering some and getting them replaced. This happened to me before (1 year ago) so my neighbor who has mechanical skills went to Auto Zone and replaced them and it's doing it again. So I am ordering the positive and negative cables directly from directhondaparts.com
Wish me luck!!

U

Unregistered

I found this thread after searching google for problems with honda odyssey batteries. I am currently waiting for my dealer to call me back. Of course it is saturday at 6:00 pm so the service department is closed. My car is 1 MONTH old and brand new!!!! I could not start my car and all I get is major clicking when I put the key in the ignition. I did not leave anything whatsoever on and I am so frustrated! I will let you know what they tell me.

TXDani

Senior Community Member
It is common in the MDX's that if the power liftgate is left open (with NO lights on) it will drain the battery. A lot of people have had this problem and since your is a Honda and has the powerlift gate maybe it does it in yours also? Something about the powerlift gate being open will drain the battery. Did you have your lifegate open (even if all the lights were off) for a prolonged period of time?

MySillyKids

You know, i started this thread months ago :p, but it IS still happening. I think DH just replace the batter the other day.

No, we don't leave the lift gate open on it, My precious stroller is in back, i don't want anyone taking it :D

beeman

The old "click click click" sounds like a starter issue. The starter is not getting enough power either because of a low battery, poor connection or faulty starter. Check the starter solenoid (if it is shorting out it could drain the battery or not provide enough power from the battery to the starter) and the connection to the starter. It could also be a faulty starter. They do wear out, and at 45,000mi it could likely require replacement.
Next question: you mentioned your dh has a telescope. Is there a power inverter that stays plugged in? Even if it is turned off, there could be a short in it drawing power, draining the battery. The inverter I had in the work van would drain the battery overnight if it was left on, and if yours has a short in it could behave similarly.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
LOL, Darren :rolleyes: I ain't tellin' it.

So mine's died a few more times since then, and FINALLY the AAA guy showed up (not just the AAA authorized guy), and he said we had a bad cell in our battery...I didn't know if it was just a line or what, but I didn't mind spending the $120 for him to give us a new one right there and then that's started the car up MUCH faster than my sad half dead 5 yo battery :whistle:

(Now, onto my newest problem, it gets suck in Park all the time and I'm kind of afraid to drive it in case I can't get it in gear to come home! :eek:)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC