Moral dilema?

linneabw

So I have been chosen to test and review a hbb....and my oldest is not quite 4.5 years old (though he's probably the size of an average 5.5 year old). It just says I have to evaluate it. I would never recommend anyone use a hbb for a 4 year unless they were too big for a 5 pt harness. My 4.5 year old is still rearfacing!

What would you do? I do have an older niece and nephew, but not sure if I could use them instead of my own child.

ADS

YinzerMama

If he is big enough for the booster by weight and height stick him in it and evaluate how it fits him, how easy it is to use, how it fits in your make/model/year car, how comfortable it seems (or is, if he gives an opinion), how the quality is, etc etc etc etc. You don't have to actually drive anywhere to assess these things. Then write your eval stating the size of your child and feel free to add your own qualifiers as to what you think the age cut off is for boostering a child. Many people are fine boostering a 5 year old so if he is the size of a 5yo, even if you don't want to booster him, your input will be useful. Then feel free to use your niece and nephew and say how it fits them - and give their height/weight - to show how it fits (or doesn't) kids of different sizes. More kids = more input = better review, not sure why they'd have to be your own so long as the review is good. Does it say anything about NOT using multiple kids or other people's kids?

How did you get picked?

katymyers

I don't see why you couldn't borrow your niece and nephew.... It's what I would do, much better than your own child who is big enough but too young and continually explaining that while he does fit he isn't old enough and normally you would never put a child his age in a booster. I see way too many thirty lbs three year olds in boosters personally and when you try to explain that yes your child does in fact fit fine it still isn't safe and probably won't be for at least another two or three years it just gets messy.

2BunniesMommy

I would use your son for fitting purposes, stating that it does or does not provide a good belt fit on a Xlb Xinch child and not mention the age and not drive with him using it and also try it out on your niece and nephew and also evaluate belt fit on them and their sizes and maybe take them for a spin if you feel that is something needed for your review.

YinzerMama

I want to add, with regard to the moral dillemma, that it is legal to put a 4yo in a booster - and depending on the child/situation, some would argue safe. Older/bigger 4 for short rides in a pinch? Emergency back up plan? 2nd car that is hardly hardly ever used? Taxi ride? Now my *personal* ideal is to keep a child harnessed in the full time vehicle until at least 5 1/2 for various reasons, comfort, ease of self buckling, etc, but if someone were to use a booster for a 4yo on a short trip, I would not automatically judge and say it was unsafe - you just don't know their situation. So given that people DO put 4yos in boosters, even if you personally do not agree with it, giving an assessment on this given seat's merits and shortcomings as well as how well it fits can only improve safety in those situations. Suppose this seat does NOT fit your child at all, someone with a more averaged sized 4yo can know to rule it out. Suppose it fits like it was made for him, a parent with a similarly sized child can use that information. Your child will not be in any danger in this situation, since you won't even have to leave your driveway to assess, and your input can only help other parents. By all means state your reasons for not boostering a 4yo, as this information may be helpful to other parents, but a straight forward assessment of what is good and not good about this seat does not necc. need to contradict your own personal beliefs.

You could even help a parent with an older child who is on the small side, which is the situation I am likely to find myself in, as one of my girls is much smaller than the other, but I plan to booster them next year.

I feel like you are afraid that writing this review will compromise the safety of other children, but I think your review can only be beneficial.

Last edited:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC