Question Booster training a less than 40 pounds child?

lourdes

Sooo my DD is 5, she weights 35 pounds. She has a medical conditions which makes her weight gain super slow compared to an average child her age. She is asking to go booster but I don't think she is ready but I just keep asking my self if I actually wait for her to be 40 pounds she will stay harness for a oong long time. I will not booster her FT any time soon but hubby had mention starting the training in his car. She rides every day with him ones a day but ones she starts school she will not ride in that car. Just wantes to get some opinions!

ADS

Athena

Do you think she has the maturity to sit right 100% of the time she's in the booster? Is it legal where you live to booster under 40 pounds? How long do you think it will take until she's 40 pounds? Why does she want to be in a booster?

lourdes

Do you think she has the maturity to sit right 100% of the time she's in the booster? Is it legal where you live to booster under 40 pounds? How long do you think it will take until she's 40 pounds? Why does she want to be in a booster?

Maturity for not more than 15 minutes she will be ok so just for short trips.
The law here crapy, children under 4 years need to be in car seat. That's it.
Probably 2 years, she has gain 4 pounds in the last 2 years.
She thinks she is 18, she is a teenager trap in a child body, her friends in K4 ride on boosters if any so group pressure!

sirrahn

My youngest was about 35lbs when I started letting her use a booster at not quite 6. She's a whopping 44lbs now at 8. She has no medical issues...it's just genetics in her case. She's actually bigger than I was at her age and we've got lots of tiny people in both DH's and my family.

Anyway, we also started out just in dad's car occasionally and found that she got an excellent belt fit in the Graco Turbo booster. She did great in it and switched to a booster full time at the beginning of 1st grade (and still not quite 40lbs:p).

cookie123

Is she just turning 5 or closer to 6? I like to wait to 40 lbs. but if still under at 6 I might do it if the kiddo can sit properly. Plus, my grandkids could do up their harnesses at that age way quicker and easier than a booster.

Kappy

Senior Community Member
My oldest is about to turn 6 in November, and as of the day before he is 39.6 pounds, fully clothed. We've done a little bit of booster training with him, and we started when he was about 36 pounds shortly after he turned 5.

This year has been a year for big growth spurts with him. But, he's not mature enough to sit properly. He's gone back into a harness full time. I'm not sure when I'll revisit booster training with him.

lourdes

She is 5 and 3 months. I really don't think she ia ready in any way. She rides now in a Radian xtl and in on the top slot. I just wanted to be sure that I wasn't over reacting with the 40 pound minimum. She was RF until last January when we got a new car so I am ok with waiting until she is actually ready. I just wanted to explore the topic and see how you all think about it!

skylinphoto

My 5yr old dd weighs 30lbs. So, just meeting the minimums some hbbs. She isnt ready for full time boostering (and at any time, she may drop below 30lbs)..but occasionally she uses one for short rides in other peoples car. And once when she puked in her normal seat.

I want my dd to weigh closer to 35lbs and gain a bit more maturity/impulse control before using a booster more frequently.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 2 using Car-Seat.Org

SavsMom

We started to booster train our dd a few months ago. She is 5.5 and weighs 36-37 lbs, BUT has shown the maturity to sit in a booster properly. Her first ride I had to give a few reminders on how to sit and after that she has done well. Having said that her booster use is limited to the 2 mile back road trips to and from school. For longer trips, highway and heavier traffic driving she is harnessed and will be until she gains a few pounds.

thekatie

My friend let her daughter go into a booster at 7.5 years old. She weighed 32lb then (now at a few months over 8 years she weighs 34lb). She is neurotypical, I think that's the term I've read here, and at that age had no problem sitting still... she is just absolutely stick skinny.

tiggercat

I'd probably wait until at least 6yo before boostering an under 40lb child.
It's a moot point in Canada, since 40lb is the lower limit for booster seats anyway.

Sent from my iPod touch using Car-Seat.Org

Athena

She is 5 and 3 months. I really don't think she ia ready in any way. She rides now in a Radian xtl and in on the top slot. I just wanted to be sure that I wasn't over reacting with the 40 pound minimum. She was RF until last January when we got a new car so I am ok with waiting until she is actually ready. I just wanted to explore the topic and see how you all think about it!

Then I'd definitely wait. I'm always surprised when people say 5yos have the maturity because 5yos seem really immature to me. :eek: I wasn't sure where you were at with this, but personally, I prefer to wait until 40 pounds. Then again, my almost 7 yo didn't ride in a booster until 6.5 and is still harnessed most of the time, so not boostering until 7 doesn't sound like a big problem to me. If she matures a lot more by 6yo, she'd be closer to 40 pounds.

flutie128

We are starting to booster train my DD. She is 5 and 2 months and weighs about 39 pounds. I want her booster trained because it is easier on my MIL when I need her to get the kids from the bus stop. She has a hard time getting a harnessed seat installed and she doesn't pick the kids up enough to keep it in full time.

lourdes

I don't think that she is ready for a full time training but I would but easier if I can have that option as a plan b for hubby 's car or if we are going to ride in someone else car. The booster I want is the Monterey so I have to wait for her to be 40 anyways

Athena

My kids don't really ride in other cars than those that already have their seats installed, so I don't have to worry about that. But I understand there are situations in which having a kid booster trained sooner might make them safer for those situations and, if I had to deal with those situations, I might make a different decision.

Did you know the Monterey requires vehicle head rest support? Ours stick forward a lot, so that booster was not an option for us because it pushed the Monterey forward off the seat leaving a big gap. Obviously, it works great in lots of cars and has some nice features, but just thought I should mention that.

lourdes

Ok so I don't why I thought that the Monterey was from 40 pounds, just went to their webside and it is 30 pounds. Our daily situation is that every day my husband and I have to switch cars because his car is not car seat friendly and doesn't have top tether either. But ones she starts school she will be riding only on my car and her riding on his car will only be for emergency. But I am also afraid that if I buy a new seat she will give me a good fight to be able to use it. She doesn't win the battles here but she will give me a headache! Also how you do with the car seat and the school carpool?

lourdes

My kids don't really ride in other cars than those that already have their seats installed, so I don't have to worry about that. But I understand there are situations in which having a kid booster trained sooner might make them safer for those situations and, if I had to deal with those situations, I might make a different decision.

Did you know the Monterey requires vehicle head rest support? Ours stick forward a lot, so that booster was not an option for us because it pushed the Monterey forward off the seat leaving a big gap. Obviously, it works great in lots of cars and has some nice features, but just thought I should mention that.

Both cars have head support but now that you say that I might go to buy buy baby to try it in hubbys car.

Athena

Also how you do with the car seat and the school carpool?

Will she be riding with various other people for this? I drive mine, so it's not an issue for us, but if I had that situations, I'd probably seriously consider booster training.

Both cars have head support but now that you say that I might go to buy buy baby to try it in hubbys car.

I'd make sure you try any booster before committing. I found boosters were not compatible with our car for various reasons. but I think my car is particularly difficult, so don't be discouraged by that.

lourdes

I will drop off but my mom will pick her up using my van. My question is because when my brother get his kids from school they get in the car and they have to move before the are buckle. My DD doesn't know how to buckle her self so my mom has to do it before the drive off.

Athena

I will drop off but my mom will pick her up using my van. My question is because when my brother get his kids from school they get in the car and they have to move before the are buckle. My DD doesn't know how to buckle her self so my mom has to do it before the drive off.

I wouldn't count on a booster being easier to buckle, but maybe the right one. You'd have to have her try out the options.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC