GN- head slump solutions-help!

greenpea77

We have moved our 5 yr old to the GN and she is suffering from major head slump. When she wakes up her neck is stiff and sore. She is a very heavy car sleeper. We have a huge road trip coming up in 2 wks with lots of night driving...and I am getting desperate to find a way to make this work. I have tried rolled up towels, stuffies, a travel pillow...nothing seems to work. She slumps directly frontward..not to the side. I have her seat on recline and our car itself does not have reclining rear seats. Has anyone out there come up with a home made fix or an after-market product that works and does not compromise safety? We don't have the $$$ for a new seat.

She was in a marathon that she slept in beautifully..however it just expired this month. ( 6 years) however..I am tempted to put her back in the expired seat for the trip....:(

ADS

greenpea77

Also..can I try adding a rolled up towel under the front end, or pulling it out a bit from the back of the car seat to get more recline..without compromising safety?

bree

Car-Seat.Org Ambassador
With head slump, sometimes teaching kids that as they get drowsy that they need to tuck their heads up into the side of the wings helps. A rolled up towel under the front of the seat isn't allowed (rolled up towels can only be used with RF seats to get the appropriate recline). I'm not familiar enough with the install of the Nautilus to know what parts of it need to be in contact with the vehicle seat to know if you can adjust it to recline the seat when installing it, so I'll leave that question for someone else. :)

bubbaray

Both of my girls had major head slump in the GN. In any vehicle we tried it in. And they have never had head slump in any other seat, including dedicated boosters. We discontinued using the seat for that reason

Baylor

Do you have it most reclined option?

We never had the slump issue I see others posting. I suspect it has more to do with vehicle seats it goes on.

auto correct hates me

MommyShannon

Did you just buy it? Can it be returned? My kids liked theirs but definitely got head slump. The Frontier85 has been better for not slumping but costs more.

YinzerMama

How long have you had the seat? Can you return it? I find the nautilus puzzling, it is such a great idea for a seat but that bump where the head rest juts out forces a kid's head forward. We tried one briefly and I wanted to badly to love it but my girls just never looked comfortable. I as skeptical they would ever really be comfortable in it. It is odd how some kids don't seem to have that issue but others do.

tiggercat

Like this? I never really found a solution that worked :/

Sent from my iPod touch using Car-Seat.Org

Last edited:

Brianna

Did you son have head slump in it, and if not, can you try it in the seating position he used it in?

canadiangie

Could you scrape up enough money to buy an Evenflo Sureride? Could you list the Nautilus on Craigslist today and see if it sells?

You can pull the bottom of the Nautilus forward a bit - a gap behind the Nautilus is fine. Graco restricts any overhang when in booster mode; I'm not certain about overhang in harnessed mode. Graco confuddled my brain years ago and I refer to the manual quite often when dealing with their seats, lol.

Baylor

There are cars that my kids have head slump in in all car seats.. I always have a pillow with me and just place it on their lap and they use that for their heads. Works great and they sleep awesome.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC