Climbing into a rfing seat on a captain's chair...

soph's mom

Well we are finally ditching the Volvo wagon for a van... :p never ever thought I would drive a van... When we test drove I threw a scenera in there ffing bc I didn't want to fight the radian but when we get it I will be putting her radian rfing in the captain's chair. She has been able to get into her seat on her own for a long time in the Volvo climbing across the seat but I'm wondering how well toddlers/preschoolers do climbing in these seats on captains chairs...

ADS

YinzerMama

What kind of van are you getting?

We have a newer Odyssey which doesn't have the standard captains chairs - but close. Before this we had an '08 8-pass sienna which was similar. Both times I had a seat in the middle of the row and a child could easily get in to the van, scurry across the almost-captain's chair, and get in the middle rf seat.

If the seat was actually on the captain's chair right inside the door, I am not sure how it goes.

If you are getting a an ody or a sienna, new or old, this should work for you, The older ones even if they weren't 8 pass you could put the captains chairs side by side so the child could use the one that didn't have a seat as a means to climb into the one that did. The newer ones most are mostly 8 pass and while you can't put many if any seats in the middle of the new sienna you can use that seat as a step up still. Not sure how it goes with the traditional 2 captains chairs that only have one position and no center ... but kids are crafty, I wouldn't be surprised if they can get in. In my old van I had one behind the passenger seat, one in the middle, and the drivers side open or with a booster... my girls would climb over all the seats to get to the one on the passenger side so we never had to climb right inside the door.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
When I've had a rfer in a captain's chair, I let them in the other side. While I'm putting down bags and stroller away and whatever, kid climbs in seat from the inside-more room to maneuver. :)

soph's mom

It's a 08 caravan... I wasn't specific initially bc I know they aren't loved on this board for good reasons... Awkwardly sloped, narrow rear seat, only 3 tethers, incompatible headrests and seat belts, etc and this wasn't my first choice vehicle, age, or feature wise but we know the owner, know how well it has been maintained, cant beat the price at several thousand under retail... It still has very good safety ratings (obviously only if I get good seat fits) and I only plan on one more child, maybe two more, with the occasional daycare kid (all of whom would be young enough to rf) so the three tethers isn't a total deal breaker and by the time my last one needed a booster we would probably be looking for something else anyway...

That being said... KQ- I thought about stowing one captain's chair for now thinking that would help... The kids can climb up into my grand Cherokee and over the side of sceneras so I'm guessing it should be doable into a low radian with ample room on the side like you mentioned (climbing in from the middle if I read it correctly- it's early :p)

Another thing... I'm used to leather that wipes clean and this one has cloth... What's the best way to protect the seat back from muddy rear facer shoes...

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Yep, climbing in from the middle. :)

Loading rear facers in the back is also easy in that van-you could easily let them in the side, have rfer climb back and in while buckling other kid, and then buckle through back after stowing stuff if needed.

Put a cheap t-shirt over the chair for an easy, washable cover. Or a towel with holes poked for the headrest to hold it in place. But, automotive fabrics also usually shampoo just fine.

YinzerMama

I always just took shoes off if they were super muddy. ditto snow boots. seems more comfy to me anyway not to be all curled up with giant boots on.

aept

I have a '10 caravan. My just-turned two year old RF's in a radian in a capt chair. He has always been a climber and he is very much in a "do it myself" phase right now. He crawls in to the middle and hoists himself up and kinda pushes off of the other capt chair with his feet for leverage. I usually try to give him a boost (if he lets me help!) because its quicker. Armrests are down and that seems to help.

BTW, don't feel bad about your vehicle choice! It has good safety ratings and features and not everyone can afford a sienna or Ody! A RF radian installs like a breeze on the captains chairs and works well in the third row as well. The sloped seats act like a natural angle adjuster and with the AA the install is even more upright.

Sent from my iPhone using Car-Seat.Org

jgomez411

DD is RFing in a captain's chair in my Expedition and she's a little mountain climber. I let her in on the side her seat is on and she climbs into the car, climbs on the seat (there is just enough space next to the base for her to put her feet) and then climbs over into her MR.

MommyShannon

DD2 hasn't ever had any trouble climbing into captain's chairs. She's 3 now but has been climbing in since at least 2. I can't remember exactly.

Phineasmama

I have a '10 Caravan and they have always been able to climb up into the van and then into the seat, from the door side. Never needed to go in from the middle or the other side. We also have a RFing radian.

soph's mom

Thanks everyone! I was worried bc we're TTC and I didn't want to have to lift kids in all the time :) I'm actually getting excited about having a van even though we both swore we'd never get one and I'm still a little in shock that we are :p

I'm thinking it will greatly help w kids and dogs tho!

bnsnyde

Well, our preschoolers climb into a RF seat in the 3rd row through the hatch and over the seatback. (The 4 YO is FF now but 2 YO RF). I put in inflatable stairs. :)

Captain's chair? I wish! Our van is too full!

scoutingbear

My just turned 3 year old discovered this week how to climb into her RF seat on a captain's chair; and she has some pretty significant motor delays and motor planning difficulties. She climbs into her RF radian from the door closest to her seat. First she steps into the door track, then on the vehicle floor, then the vehicle seat, and then stands in her carseat, turns around, and sits down. She grabs the door with one hand and the frame with the other while climbing in. It isn't pretty, but it works and she is so proud of herself!

smileyblue4

It's never been a problem for my kids. We have a rf Radian behind the driver's seat in our Odyssey and climbing in is easy for my 2 year old. Not always fast, but very doable. Enjoy your van!

cowgirlsmommy

My 3yr old climbs into her rf'ing foonf in our dodge grand caravan captains chair and that thing is really high up. A radian should be easy.

YinzerMama

FWIW the main reasons we ruled out the caravan are because we wanted an 8 seater and more trunk space. I have rented a few over the years. The 3rd row has that crazy incline in some years but otherwise all around I can't imagine speaking ill of someone who was going to buy one. Every van out there has one quirk or another.

cookie123

Well, our preschoolers climb into a RF seat in the 3rd row through the hatch and over the seatback. (The 4 YO is FF now but 2 YO RF). I put in inflatable stairs. :)

Captain's chair? I wish! Our van is too full!

We need to see the inflatable stairs.:)

Matthew never had trouble getting in the Radian when rfing in the old style Sienna's captains chair.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC