New Safety 1st seats questions

cookie123

Does anyone know if the Advance Air 70/80 have premium latch connectors? What about harness height/leg room and other such important things. I need to recommend a cushy seat for long road trips!

ADS

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
If the 70 is the one at Target, leg room/seating area reminded me of a Triumph 65. Not rotten but not great either.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
I guess I should get a tape measure out, it's possibly the deepest legroom seat I've ever encountered, but only by perception (I'd say it's approximately 3 miles deeper than the Triumph, but see how perception goes? lol). Anyway, super cushy, but tight crotch strap might ruin all that. Definitely push on connecters, surprisingly nice belt path if you need to do it with a seatbelt (It was SO BIG RF that I HAD to put it in the middle of an Xterra, then they gave up on it's utter massiveness--despite the choice cupholders that attracted them in the first place-- and went with a Britax :rolleyes:). Top harness height comparable to any other HWH convertible, need a tape measure for that, too. I'm working today, I'll see what I can get.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Ok, so I grabbed a tape measure and found... <drumroll>, it's only about an inch longer in the seat pan than the Triumph (three miles, one inch... yeah, time for better glasses, eh? :)). But then there's this 'dropoff' for lack of a better term for the front of the seat where the knees bend, and it's got an extra three inches. So it's like 12 inches of seat pan, and if you hold out the tape measure well out to the front of the dropoff, it's like 15 inches (Triumph is more like 13 for that measure, and Britax was a sad, sad 10-11). It's probably useless as a booster, since it's booster belt path is longer than the long belt route on a Frontier (imagine trying to climb over that seat to buckle, or expecting a kid to try to do it, and how fast a switchable retractor would lock up even if it *could* reach!), so the model at Target that doesn't become a booster might be a better buy (the belt fit is good--the model I saw looked fine in it in the Tahoe she was in, in the front seat, which was the only belt long enough in that car, lol).
Top harness was ~17.5, so typical for a HWH convertible.

YinzerMama

Our target had one, I was looking at it today, and it had the very basic hook latch connectors. Is that what you mean by push on?

I thought the leg room seemed incredible. I didn't measure but stuck my kid in and curled up his legs and he looked like a little king.

Rebekah

http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=248494

http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=249006
These both have pics of kids in installed seats so you can gauge legroom for yourself. The Target version has standard LATCH. Even with the recline feature, I still had to use a pool noodle to get the proper angle for the most reclined level-line. It was my sister's vehicle, don't remember the name (large GMC SUV, I think). I installed the same seat in my cousin's newer Camry, but for the more upright RF position, and it was fine without the noodle. Both my cousin and sister have had issues with the lack of harness covers leaving red marks, almost to the point of being a cut, on their babies' necks. My cousin's daughter also has massive thighs- like 11-months old wearing 24-month onesies just for the thighs to fit kind of massive- and the hip straps are leaving red marks on her legs. We asked our Target if we could take the demo model to try in my sister's vehicle, and they let us.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC