My preemie failed the car seat challenge...any better options?

todzwife

They let us come home on oxygen and frankly I'm terrified to take her off of it now! We have the b safe, she weighs about 6 pounds. Is there anything I can do to improve her air flow? Different infant seat?

ADS

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
If she's ok on oxygen, she should continue using that when inclined and otherwise as directed until she passes a challenge without it. Make sure the canister is secured. Recline the seat to the fullest amount allowed, but her legs being bent will still decrease saturation. There are seats that have inserts to change body positioning; the Coccoro might be an option, possibly with the head insert removed but body insert in. But it might not work well for her, I'd want to try before buying...

The only other option really is a car bed and they are much less safe, and she might still need oxygen anyway. If it were my kid I'd prefer rear-facing with a secured O2 canister to side-facing in a car bed.

And of course, with a preemie you're limiting car time to strictly necessary anyway.

I'm sorry you're dealing with this but glad she's home! Congrats!

katymyers

Have you tried removing the head rest insert? I've seen babies fail the car seat challenge and sometimes the fix is as easy as that. Remember as long as the head isn't coming forward its safe to have it tilted to the sides, but if it does bother you rolled blankets can help prop it up in the middle.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Have you tried removing the head rest insert? I've seen babies fail the car seat challenge and sometimes the fix is as easy as that. Remember as long as the head isn't coming forward its safe to have it tilted to the sides, but if it does bother you rolled blankets can help prop it up in the middle.

Ditto! I ASSumed it was out, because I habitually remove for preemies. Sorry. :eek:

mommydev

No help here other than to say I remember that! DS failed his first car seat test. They weren't actually ready to release him from the NICU yet though so he did it again a couple days later. That was a very nerve wracking time sitting there listening to beeps and watching the numbers!

katymyers

No help here other than to say I remember that! DS failed his first car seat test. They weren't actually ready to release him from the NICU yet though so he did it again a couple days later. That was a very nerve wracking time sitting there listening to beeps and watching the numbers!

That's normal for parents lol, we try really hard to do them in the middle of the night but occasionally we have to do them during the day. I think every parent that stays during the car seat challenge just stares at the monitor and doesn't blink, it's gotta be stressful. I wasn't around for Levi's or Ella's and I'm glad I wasn't, it would make me a nervous wreck.

trippsmom

CPST Instructor

The insert in the b-safe does not come out. It is to be moved up with the straps. Eventually it will be only behind the head/back not under then bum as well.

katymyers

The insert in the b-safe does not come out. It is to be moved up with the straps. Eventually it will be only behind the head/back not under then bum as well.

The one I played with came out... My understanding of the manual was that it could be removed at the discretion of the parents. And if you buy the full body support pad Britax sells it has to be removed, having both in isn't allowed.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Yeah, I did a check just a month ago where we removed an insert on the B-safe then put it back in while demoing use. The manual indicated that was ok...

Stelvis

Yeah, I never used our insert at all -- she fit better without it so I removed it before we left the hospital. The manual doesn't say you have to use it.

henrietta

They let us come home on oxygen and frankly I'm terrified to take her off of it now! We have the b safe, she weighs about 6 pounds. Is there anything I can do to improve her air flow? Different infant seat?

I just wanted to say Congrats! And hang in there! This time will pass so quickly, although I know it doesn't feel like it right now. I remember our preemie having a few apnea episodes in the car seat, once while I was driving by myself. :eek: I just stopped, put flashers on, and reached around to shake him and get him to take a breath. Luckily, he perked right up and was fine. Another time, I was riding in the back w/him. We had to stop and I had to take him out. Today, he's a pretty healthy almost 8 year old!! ;) An apnea monitor is a wonderful thing when you need one. We used it for longer than he probably needed it--for sleeping over night and for car rides--it gave me peace of mind.

Best wishes!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC