Boosters with deepest SIP

MyTwoSons

Background: My 5.5 yr old is currently in a FR85 on the second row short-bench of an '01 Caravan, with the bench shifted to the passenger side so there is an even larger than normal space between him and the side of the vehicle. We are probably going to be purchasing a Ford Flex in the next few weeks, and our configuration will have him outboard which is right up against the door in this vehicle, totally opposite of what I'm used to with him. Seeing him so close to the door when we test drove was making me twitchy!

We were planning on booster training soon, so I am searching for the boosters with the most SIP in the torso and around the head. Obviously how he fits in them is the most important factor, but I want to try out the ones that have the most structure between him and the door first. I'm thinking Vivo, Monterey, maybe Harmony Folding Booster? What others have SIP on steroids? And bonus points to someone who can put them in order of ones that are the deepest (front to back) on the sides!

TIA for helping this twitchy Momma :eek:

ADS

Dorothy

I can't sort them by dimension, but I wanted to add the Recaro ProBooster and Britax 2013 Parkway to your list. I'm sure there are others, but those spring to mind readily for me. HTH :)

Last edited:

jacqui276

The Monterey and Vivo were going to be my first suggestions, but they've already made it on your list.

Some others that seem to have a decent amount of SIP are the turbobooster with safety surround, the peg perego booster, the oobr, and the boost air protect.

momtoo3

How big is your son? I think the Vivo and Monterey are the deepest...the Vivo has a deeper headrest, the Monterey has deeper side wings but both have awesome SIP. The Vivo fits smaller kids better than the Monterey.

Here is ds3 in the Vivo a few months ago. He was about 34 pounds and 40-41 inches.

And ds2 is 65 pounds and 53 inches and still fits in the Vivo but is on the last click.

If you have the money to spend and don't need a super tall booster the ProSport combination seat has the deepest sides and headrests of everything I have played with. Besides the Kiddy CruiserFix Pro (which has decent SIP but is not the deepest) the ProSport in booster mode is my favorite booster and we have owned almost all the boosters out there.
Not in Booster mode but here is ds3 in the ProSport. He was between clicks on the harness height at the time of the picture and this was in the next one up:

bnsnyde

Our Oobr was sooo shallow. I didn't realize how shallow until my child sat in it. So I wouldn't put that on my list for deep SIP.

The Recaro Prosport in booster mode is my favorite. It won't fit kids as they get super tall, but it's great now for my 7-year-old in our spare car. He is sort of tall, too.

MyTwoSons

How big is your son? I think the Vivo and Monterey are the deepest...the Vivo has a deeper headrest, the Monterey has deeper side wings but both have awesome SIP. The Vivo fits smaller kids better than the Monterey.
Thank you for the comparison and the pictures! Will def send some rep your way. DS1 will be 6 in five months, is 39lbs and probably 42inches (guessing on that at the moment). I plan to keep him harnessed for the most part for quite awhile yet, but want to start gradually training him with a booster.

If you have the money to spend and don't need a super tall booster the ProSport combination seat has the deepest sides and headrests of everything I have played with. Besides the Kiddy CruiserFix Pro (which has decent SIP but is not the deepest) the ProSport in booster mode is my favorite booster and we have owned almost all the boosters out there.

The Recaro Prosport in booster mode is my favorite. It won't fit kids as they get super tall, but it's great now for my 7-year-old in our spare car. He is sort of tall, too.
Yes, I would love to have a Prosport for booster mode, but as understanding as my husband has been with me buying seats as well as keeping DS2 rf, I think he would have a cow if I bought one just to use for that purpose! :rolleyes:

bnsnyde

You would get a ton of use from it. You could harness, then booster, even.

My husband doesn't really pay attention to seat function, lol. For example, for him to notice that gee, there was a harness here that's taken out, and so maximizing the value of the seat isn't happening here since wife is just using booster mode. That's beyond him, lol.

momtoo3

With your ds being small, I would go with the Vivo. Ds3 is small too but close to your ds's size. He will be 5 in Sept. We are booster training now because he frequently rides with family that can't harness correctly. He does amazingly well on trips less than an hour. The Vivo is a really nice seat for booster training because the shape of it helps remind them how they should be sitting.

momtoo3

If it helps to see a more current picture, here is ds3 today. I just measured him at 41.5 inches (with rain boots on :rolleyes:) and 36 pounds (without rain boots on.)

You can see how the Vivo cradles them better in this picture than the one upthread with the fleece on.

Athena

Wow, he's tiny. If you're worried about SIP, I thought I'd read that harnesses provide better SI protection.

Athena

I can't sort them by dimension, but I wanted to add the Recaro ProBooster and Britax 2013 Parkway to your list. I'm sure there are others, but those spring to mind readily for me. HTH :)

Now that you've said his stats, the Parkway would not be an option. I think it's a 40 pound minimum anyway and is barely narrow enough in the shoulders for my 51" DD. Turbo with SS?

MyTwoSons

With your ds being small, I would go with the Vivo. Ds3 is small too but close to your ds's size. He will be 5 in Sept. We are booster training now because he frequently rides with family that can't harness correctly. He does amazingly well on trips less than an hour. The Vivo is a really nice seat for booster training because the shape of it helps remind them how they should be sitting.

I am really liking the looks of the Vivo. Thank you for the updated pic as well; it helps to see a similarly sized child in it. And he is such a cutie, by the way!

Wow, he's tiny. If you're worried about SIP, I thought I'd read that harnesses provide better SI protection.

Yes, I agree. :) He will most definitely be staying harnessed in his FR85 for a long while yet (probably at minimum a year) under most driving circumstances. However, due to some situations that might arise during the next year, there is the potential for an out of the ordinary scenario to crop up. If that does happen, I would feel better knowing that he has had some booster training and has learned the rules. My plan was to keep his FR85 installed in our vehicle, but also have the booster in there too that we could "train" him in around the neighborhood and/or certain times when we are driving around post.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Just keep in mind that there are no standards for SIP. The Monterey, for instance, requires support from the car behind it. So who knows how reinforced the headwings are. Maybe all seats are like that and Diono is just more conservative, maybe they make headwings that won't withstand anything. No idea. Just something to keep in mind. It makes sense that more between child and door is good, but there are no guarantees.

Wendy

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC