For those who 'hate' infant seats, why?

katymyers

Just out of curiosity, I've heard a few people say they really don't like infant car seats and even a few who say they hate them, I'd like to know why. I'm not looking to start an argument or any heated debates, I just wanna hear the reasons people have.

ADS

tiggercat

I'm not one of them, but after seeing videos of designer 22s and older Evenflo infant seats flying off the bases? I hesitated a little bit with my middle child.

I did use a Graco SR 32 for my youngest, though. Felt ok with it.

Sent from my iPod touch using Car-Seat.Org

Baylor

I loved mine. It was do much easier going in a d out of the house in yucky weather.

My kids slept great in them too.

auto correct hates me

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
I don't *hate* infant seats, but I rarely used the one I had and probably wouldn't buy one if I had another child (which I won't, so it's a non-issue). I just didn't care for it. I preferred to carry the baby rather than carry the seat. I had a spring baby in a warm climate.

leighi123

Because I have zero need to remove the carseat from the car, so its pointless to have to base. Because the handle and shade thingy get in my way and annoy me. Because you can't make them more upright. Because they are outgrown quickly for the cost. Because I hate the fact that soooo many kids "live" in their carseats all day.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
One more thing to buy; one more thing to lug. UGH. I did end up using one this time because of a seating arrangement issue in my car. Plus the base to seat connection is just another potential failure point... (That's why when I HAD to get one I got an Aton with a metal-to-metal connection.) Oh, and refluxy babies often don't do well in them, and I've had two of those.

However, what I mostly hate is the way I see them overused. People keep babies in them ALL THE TIME and it's not healthy.

I do think they have their purposes, but if you aren't someone who NEEDS it for one of those purposes (winter loading, a particular loading issue like we had, frequent travel, etc...) they aren't NECESSARY and I hate that parents spend a ton of money on a seat that won't last- and then they want to save money so the 11 month old goes straight in a combination seat... I wish it was more clear that the bucket is not a NEED it's a convenience thing, and that babies shouldn't be in it out of the car as much as possible.

monica-m

CPST Instructor
I'm 5'1", an infant seat takes me out at the knees when I try to walk with it. I don't like using them outside the car so to me, they're not worth it. DH insists on an infant seat so we're getting one.

HEVY

Because both my girls hated them with the passion of a thousand burning suns.

This, DD hated the infant seat. And I always felt that the back of the seat would flip in a crash. Maybe if I had a seat with an anti-rebound bar.

geekKT

All the reasons above, and because I hate carrying them, mostly. I find them awkward to get in and out of the car, heavy to lift, etc.

I borrowed a friend's to get out of the hospital without them making me show them my convertible. I got a Via 2 weeks later because it was on super sale at the time, I thought maybe if I had one I'd like it, and it was also January. Liked the seat itself, but didn't like actual use of the bucket, and I sold it a few months later. DD has been in the TFP since 2months or so, DS was from birth.

I also sort of like that not using one forces me to babywear out and about. I feel less anxious when I can see/touch/feel baby breathing on me and not in the carseat.

featherhead

The only reason I like them is because I live in Manitoba, where winter temps go down to at least -30. Kinda hard to transfer an itty bitty in weather like that. Plus that would mean putting babe into a frozen carseat.

Reasons I don't like them: they are heavy and awkward. Too many people leave their babies in them for too long. You have to have some place to keep it in the house.

Cryssy Jane

One more thing to buy; one more thing to lug. UGH. I did end up using one this time because of a seating arrangement issue in my car. Plus the base to seat connection is just another potential failure point... (That's why when I HAD to get one I got an Aton with a metal-to-metal connection.) Oh, and refluxy babies often don't do well in them, and I've had two of those.

However, what I mostly hate is the way I see them overused. People keep babies in them ALL THE TIME and it's not healthy.

I do think they have their purposes, but if you aren't someone who NEEDS it for one of those purposes (winter loading, a particular loading issue like we had, frequent travel, etc...) they aren't NECESSARY and I hate that parents spend a ton of money on a seat that won't last- and then they want to save money so the 11 month old goes straight in a combination seat... I wish it was more clear that the bucket is not a NEED it's a convenience thing, and that babies shouldn't be in it out of the car as much as possible.

I'm 5'1", an infant seat takes me out at the knees when I try to walk with it. I don't like using them outside the car so to me, they're not worth it. DH insists on an infant seat so we're getting one.

These, particularly the last one. The keyfit I can tolerate, but I really just don't like infant seats.

MommyShannon

I don't hate them, but I preferred skipping it this last time. I had them with my first 3 and like them to take the kids on and out at daycare. I learned the importance of baby wearing with #3 when we went anywhere else. They either kill one arm to carry or use both hands to carry in front. I needed my hands free to hold my other kids' hands. My last 3 kids were also all almost 9#s so they were heavy fast. #4 was born in the summer and I didn't need to go places much the first few months. There were just 2 times that it would have helped when we went to eat. I took a FP Rock n Play with us to family's houses for her to sleep. She was so snug in her Britax RA55.

teekadog

In our case we found it to be a waste of money. Our kids fit in convertibles from birth and it is the exception when we take occupied carseats out of cars. But I don't tell people not to use them- I just caution them to take into account that it is not the only important car seat purchase they will be making. I am astounded how many new parents I've known that honestly thought infant seats were the only rear-facing seats and when babies outgrew them it was time to forward face. And once a kid is old enough to forward face, well, they'll be ready for a booster in no time, right? So why spend thought and/or money on a convertible!

I guess I do hate infant seats because they steal the spotlight from convertibles. :cool:

penguingrooves

i wanted a rear tether. the whole thing seemed like a murphy bed. now they have ones with rebound bars though, but i also have an abject fear of the bucket portion flying off. then, there's the added expense - i try to minimize buying extra stuff.

i admit i'm envious of its convenience, esp when i had to wake up a sleeping kiddo, aaargh... really, really considered one for baby #3 to make my life easier, but the narrow combi coccoro was the only seat which allowed a 3-across in my car so i didn't have to buy a new vehicle.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Mine always woke as soon as the seat came out of the car... Whereas if you snuggled her without removing the seat she'd go right back down.

penguingrooves

ketchupqueen said:
Mine always woke as soon as the seat came out of the car... Whereas if you snuggled her without removing the seat she'd go right back down.

we've been able to transport our sleeping/sleepy kids successfully only 3 times with all our kids in 6 years. 3!!!!! my kids are crappy sleepers, dwaaah... (one is screaming random outbursts right now, sigh.)

well, like your kids, i'm sure mine would wake up while disengaging too, right??? at least that's what i'm going with so i can extinguish that envy. yyyep...

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC