Car Seat for Child with Autism

U

Unregistered

I am looking for a car seat for 10 year old boy with autism who weighs 126 lbs and is 4 foot 9 inches tall. He is unbuckling a seat belt with an angel guard while the car is driving and causing danger to everyone. I appreciate any ideas!!! Thank you!!!

ADS

bree

Car-Seat.Org Ambassador
Hi there! I'm just bumping your thread; I hope someone with some info on the topic will be able to respond! :)

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
Hello, and welcome!

I am hoping that a tech with special needs training will come along soon, but I'll do my best to help until a tech arrives. :)

At 126 pounds, your son has certainly outgrown all traditional child seats on the market. Therefore, I believe the only options are a seatbelt (which it sounds is unsafe for him to use alone) or a special needs seat.

• An EZ-on harness might work, but you would have to install the EZ-tether kit in your car because your son is over the weight limit for a standard tether (EZ-on requires use of their tether from 80-168 pounds). EZ-on also recommends that the tether be at a 45-degree angle.

• There is also a Churchill Booster Seat that uses the EZ-ON tether, as well. (I believe that's how it works). It might not be appropriate for your child, though, depending on his needs.

• If he needs a true "seat," I would look into if insurance will cover a seat. They are PRICEY!

What vehicle do you drive? Does it have head supports in all seating positions? Are there other passengers in the backseat?

AustinMusic

While I am not a tech (nor an expert), I think the first thing to consider is why he wants to unbuckle the seatbelt. From your post, it does not sound like physical support needs or sensory issues are the motivation for him to do so, but I would consider this possibility. For instance, if he is uncomfortable then he may be reacting to being so (please forgive me for my lack of knowledge regarding autism here!).

You may wish to investigate the following seats:

• Merritt Manufacturing: The Churchill Booster (suitable until 175lbs)
• Columbia Medical: 2400 Spirit Car Seat (Only suitable until 130lbs)
• Columbia Medical: 2500 Therapedic Car Seat (Only suitable until 130lbs)
• Special Tomato: Large MPS Car Seat (Suitable until 150lbs)
• E-Z-On Products: 86Y Harness (suitable until 168lbs) requires heavy duty tether anchor - see below)

As Patriot201 has recommended, if a "seat proper" is not required or unfeasible, an E-Z-On harness or vest may be the solution. We use the 102 model vest (we have used the 103Z model previously) and contrary to the first impression of some people, after they have been used the first few times, they are no more complicated to use than a regular car seat. This will however require the installation of their Heavy Duty Tether Anchor (Item A). This can be very easy or very difficult depending on the vehicle. There is a pictorial self-installation guide here, if you are interested in the process.

If you are to use a vest, the most complex decision to be made is likely to be what mounting system is best to use. This depends on the vehicle, the possibilities regarding installing the heavy duty tether anchor, the chosen vest, the needs of the child, normal vehicle occupancy and the to need access the seats/trunk, etc. There are two main types of mount; the Floor Mount which uses two anchor points and four straps and negates the use of the seatbelt entirely or the Tether Mount which secures to the shoulder straps of the vest but requires a lap belt, or lap-shoulder belt in conjunction with a locking clip, to secure the hips of the wearer. The latter only requires one tether anchor; the former two.

Further to Patriot201’s comments, if you could provide further details about the vehicle, it will help recommendations.

I hope this helps.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC