Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

+ Reply to Thread
    Aprilclancy

Unhappy Car seat escape artist with special needs

Car seat advice.... Our 3 yr old can escape his car seat no matter what I've tried other than cable ties, even the. He can sometimes get out unless its synced so tight it leaves petichia. He's starting to show some autistic tendencies and no matter what I say or if I pull the car over, nothing keeps him in it. If I don't use cable ties he'll be out of his seat before I leave the street. We are currently using the Diono ration RXT. He's roughly 34 lbs and 39" tall. Any tips, advice? He's taught our one yr old how to get out as well.

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Re: Car seat escape artist with special needs

Hi there! I just wanted to give a bump to your thread so someone with more expertise can weigh in. I also wanted to ask how your son is escaping. Is he undoing the chest clip or the crotch buckle? Or maybe he's reaching down and loosening the harness? I'm not sure how you are using the cable ties or how they are preventing him from escaping, but I'd bet that the posters here can help with a solution.

While you're waiting for more responses, some solutions that have been mentioned here on Car-Seat.org are to put a shirt with buttons on the kid (buckling the kiddo, then buttoning up the shirt over the buckles) and putting the scratchy side of Velcro on the chest clip so that it's not comfy for a kiddo to try and open it. I don't know if your Radian has them already, but there are these harness covers that come on the Radian that sometimes deter kids from moving chest clips, so those harness covers may be something to research.
    DD (9 years old) & DS (6.5 years old)

4. Thank You from:

Senior Community Member

Re: Car seat escape artist with special needs

Hi,

Besides the suggestions above, if you're using cable ties or anything else to prevent your child unbuckling, I'd strongly recommend you keep a seat belt cutter somewhere accessible that could cut through the cable ties or webbing to get the child out in an emergency. If your setup would require cutting cable ties and not just car seat straps you might want to test the cutter on the cable ties only first to make sure it can cut them.

CPS Technician
    I wonder if flipping the buckle so the button is inside would be ok and/or work.