Foonf or Britax Boulevard and Britax Pinnacle to replace Radian in CRV

Susan09

Hi,

We have a 2009 CRV EXL and cannot get a good install with a seat belt for our FF Radian XT...well, the seat is installed okay now in the centre seat but the harness is next to impossible to tighten. The fabric on the seat base looks worn and we're generally feeling "done" with the headaches of the Radian so we're seat shopping and would live help as it's been a long time!

We are looking at replacing the Radian with either the Pinnacle (edited from Pavilion) or Foonf and are looking for recommendations (safety thoughts, comfort and vehicle fit). This is for DS1 who is 4 years, 2 months and is 37 pounds and 41.5 inches tall.

We also want to move DS2 out of his infant seat soon. He is 5 months old and is 16 pounds and 27.75 inches tall. Would you recommend a Boulevard or Foonf? We installed the Foonf RF outboard on the passenger side and it sits very high. Since the CRV requires the headrest to be removed with a car seat, it looked a bit strange - not a lot of visible seat back. But I don't know if that's an issue.

If we could get two seats that puzzle together nicely to allow for a small adult to sit outboard in the back row that would be a bonus too but the kids take priority so it's okay if they end up using the whole row.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by a moderator:
ADS

Mary_Ann

For your older boy, i would look at a combination seat,instead of a convertible. My dd is 41" and 42 lbs and i just moved her to the last slots on her britax advocate. If you love britax, you can look at the frontier 85 or 90 and the pioneer.

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
Re: Foonf or Britax Boulevard and Britax Pavillion to replace Radian in CRV

I agree that a combination seat makes more sense for your older child, while a convertible is appropriate for your younger child.

Your baby is very tall for his age, so I wouldn't look at the Britax convertibles. Instead, I'd look at the Graco MySize, Graco MyRide, or Foonf (since you said you aren't a fan of the Radian, which would also be on my list of recommended seats for a tall baby). The Britax convertibles won't last as long RF as will some other seats, which is the reason I'd go with a different seat.

For your older son, I would absolutely look at the Britax combination seats (Frontier, Pioneer, Pinnacle). I would NOT look at the Pavillion, which is a convertible, for your older son.

The only way I can imagine getting an adult in the back with your two kids would be to use a RF Radian for the baby. :eek:

U

Unregistered

Re: Foonf or Britax Boulevard and Britax Pavillion to replace Radian in CRV

Eek! It was obviously too late for me when I posted the question because we weren't thinking the Pavilion for DS1 but the Pinnacle (we went to the store to see the Frontier but they only had the Pinnacle on display)! Is there a way to edit my original post and title?

Thanks to both of you for responding. If the Radian may enable an adult passenger in the back row, we could consider putting the baby RF in it (in the center as it only fits there due to the length of the shell) for now (the adult passenger benefit is really only required for the next year for a grand parent).

If we were to keep the Radian RF, would you recommend the Foonf or Pinnacle (or Frontier) for DS1 in our car? Any thoughts on which might be safer and more comfy outboard? I recognize that the Foonf won't last DS1 as long but am more concerned about buying the best/safest fit for him for the next year or two...if he needs a different seat after that then DS2 can inherit it...plus, we will be buying a second car by next summer so we'll need additional seats.

Does anyone have both the Foonf and Boulevard or the Foonf and Frontier/Pinnacle? What do you like/dislike when comparing them?

If it helps with recommendations, the reasons we dislike the Radian are that it's very difficult to install in our car (we've never had an issue in rental cars), the fabric on the base is rough and scratchy now (the seat was purchased Dec 2009 and used 2-3 times a week since), tightening the harness has always been a workout but with it FF in the centre seat it's virtually impossible. We've loved the low base and it feels sturdy. And the reasons we like the Britax seats in store are the belt seems strong compared to the Foonf and the buckle staying forward seems convenient. And the Foonf appeals to is because it sounds like it could be the safest seat option and it doesn't appeal because of the height and it seems complicated...also it seems like it's safety benefits might be more for a FF kid??

BTW, any idea as to how long the Boulevard works RF re child's height? The baby store we went to (Crocodile Baby in Vancouver) said 49" and that the head rest just moves up to accommodate, even RF, but I think that's wrong and that the kid's head still needs to be within the shell but the employee and owner insisted it doesn't - can anyone confirm? The employee also said that the Boulevard, when RF should be tethered to the back of the car - I.e. the top tether goes over the kid's head - and that they only recommend doing that for long trips so it's not in the way for everyday use. I'm assuming that's also wrong but can someone confirm, please?

Thanks again!

Stelvis

I have Frontiers (the older 85 version) for my DS and recently switched my DD from the Boulevard to the Foonf. She is 21 months. (Stats on both kids in my signature).

My DD, who is pushing 36", has functionally outgrown the Boulevard by torso height. The BLVD requires 1" of SHELL above the child's head -- NOT including the movable headrest. The headrest is basically just foam and isn't reinforced, so it can't be the only thing supporting a child's head in a crash. It's sad, because I really do love that seat for so many other reasons! The Foonf has been great so far, though. She has probably two more years of RF time in it, at least. I wouldn't be surprised if she outgrew it FF before RF -- in other words, the top slots could be below her shoulders, but still would have enough headrest above her head to RF in it.

You could also consider the Chicco Nextfit or one of the Graco clones -- Headwise, Size4Me, MySize -- as options for the younger child.

I would absolutely not buy the Foonf for your oldest, though. The top slots are not remarkably high. And the Frontier installs very nicely in the CRV. For your money I don't think you can get a better FF seat than the Frontier/Pinnacle.

Susan09

Thanks for the tethering info and letting me know the Frontier installs nicely in the CRV. Do you know if the Foonf does too or whether it's too high?

BTW, I'm in Canada so while I would love to check out the NextFit (DS1 had the Keyfit and I LOVED it), it's not an option. It also means we're not going to get any great Amazon or other deal on these seats with the Frontier and Boulevard both at $339, Pinnacle at $379 and green Foonf at $449. So the price difference really doesn't come into play in the decision.

Thanks again.

Stelvis

I never put the Foonf in the CRV as I don't own it anymore. Sorry! It may be a bit high when RF for loading and unloading, but you could teach your child to climb in by themselves.

MommyShannon

Here is my 3 year old, 36.5" in a Roundabout55 and Marathon70 (same as the 65? in CA).
348E1ACF-914F-44AC-B8BA-B31851A991F9-3942-000006C266315D3B.jpg

IMG_6278.jpg

IMG_6276.jpg

Phineasmama

I wouldn't get the Foonf for a 4 year old unless you plan to buy another seat once he outgrows it by height, I would get a Frontier now. The older style Frontier 85 will install just fine with the long belt path, and the new style Frontier 90 will be fine as well. You are not going to want a Pinnacle, it will take up a huge amount of room in there.

Just so you know you can also use the Radian in one of the outboard positions if you get an angle adjuster from Diono.

Phineasmama

The Foonf is also crazy high rear facing in the CRV, and there's no way my almost 2 year old could climb in by herself so we have to lift her which really sucks because she's super heavy. And the space left between the car seat and the door frame to get her in there is very small...

Clek CPST

I have had the Foonf in a 2002 CRV and it installed very easily and with plenty of room for the driver.

I also have pictures of the Foonf in a 2009 CRV and it fit in the middle in between the 2 front seats. It would be more difficult to load in the middle - usually people end up climbing in to the back seat and sitting beside the car seat to load in the middle, but it looks like it fit well there based on the pictures I have.

Sitting higher in the vehicle isn't a safety concern and a lot of kids like sitting higher because they can see out the window.

Hope this helps some, you're always welcome to contact customer service with any fit questions. Our number is 1-866-656-2462.

Susan09

Thanks everyone.

Phineasmama - do you think the new Frontier might fit behind the driver's seat with the seat belt and that either our existing Radian (without the adjuster) or the Foonf might fit RF in the centre seat with latch or is the Frontier probably too wide at the cupholder end? Just wondering if we could potentially free up the outboard passenger seat. If the combo doesn't end up working then we're basically making the rear row just for the two kids...in which case, is there any disadvantage to getting the Pinnacle rather than the Frontier? Thanks again!

jens-closet

Has anyone a picture of the Radian in the middle with the Frontier outboard? I thought that idea was good, but PP says they may not fit... I was thinking about that combo myself for a 2008 CRV...

Stelvis

Has anyone a picture of the Radian in the middle with the Frontier outboard? I thought that idea was good, but PP says they may not fit... I was thinking about that combo myself for a 2008 CRV...

I no longer have the car. I will say I couldn't get the FN85 and the CCO side by side.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC