Borrowing LATCH for a latchable booster?

CrunchyMaineMama

Senior Community Member
I don't recall ever seeing this discussed. Assuming it is not being used for an outboard seat is it okay to borrow center LATCH (in a vehicle where center LATCH is not approved) with a booster that can be latched?

I feel like, no it isn't since center use is not approved. But on the other hand it's not actually being used to install the seat.

Thoughts? Links? Opinions?

ADS

Carrie_R

Ambassador - CPS Technician
I asked upstairs, some time ago, and was told that it was fine. The LATCH is not weight bearing so there shouldn't be an issue with borrowing. I have done it without hesitation, but I don't have an official source to back me up on this. Well actually, the Diono chat in the articles forum (?) talks about it being okay with the Monterey, but beyond that, nothing official.

Kecia

Admin - CPST Instructor
The current curriculum gives no guidance on this issue but I would be fine with it unless there was specific language in the manual that stated to only use it with standardized spacing. Obviously, we're talking about flexible LATCH attachments because this isn't possible with rigid LATCH attachments. But personally, I see no issues with it because even if it breaks free from the lower anchor bar in a worst case scenario situation, that shouldn't increase the injury risk to the child in any significant way. However, I'm no carseat engineer so take my opinion for what it really is - a best guess.

I know Britax specifically allows it in the Parkway SGL manual - as long as the spacing is between 11-20". I'm not sure if any of the other CR manufacturers specifically address it but it's always worth a phone call to CS if you're not sure! If they don't allow it chances are it's just because they haven't tested it that way.

Now, I recently had a situation at a check event where the parent had 2 seats installed outboard with LATCH but then had a LATCHable booster (Affix) in the center and it was also LATCHed in because she had doubled-up on each lower anchor. That was NOT something I was okay with and I gave her the choice of unlatching the Affix in the center or keeping it secured with LATCH and switching the 2 outboard seats to a seatbelt install.

canadiangie

I have with a PWSGL in dh's car. Lots of times he just takes one dd with him and in those instances I bump kiddo to the middle.

It's one of those things I do with my own kids and no one else's.

CTPDMom

Ambassador - CPS Technician
My opinion is that LATCH rules are for installing a seat when those anchors will be used to restrain the child. I have no problem whatsoever using (not already in use) LATCH (lower anchors and/pr top tether) to keep a booster from flying around when not in use and from pushing into a child in an accident. Once in booster mode, the seat belt is doing the work of restraint.

We had this discussion a while back, about use of lower anchors in an unintended combination and I have no issues with that either.

http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=246474&highlight=Latch+center

As long as the seat belt in use is not being interfered with and if there are passengers in adjacent seats their seat belts are not interfered with.

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
If we're ok telling people it's all right to disregard LATCH weight limits for boosters since the anchors aren't bearing the child's weight, then it should be fine for this, too. I think.

canadiangie

If we're ok telling people it's all right to disregard LATCH weight limits for boosters since the anchors aren't bearing the child's weight, then it should be fine for this, too. I think.

Agreed, totally. However, in real life I find parents to be so utterly overwhelmed by all of the rules surrounding cps stuff I tend to tread very carefully with these kinds of discussions. Very much a case by case basis when it comes to this issue. Also not one I deal with very often (if ever?) as most people seem to be quite happy having children outboard, especially older children.

CrunchyMaineMama

Senior Community Member
Thanks for all the replies. As I said, I have never encountered it at a check so at least it doesn't seem like a decision you would have to make often. What made me think of it is when we switch DD to booster mode in her FR85 I'd like to put it center in my Hyundai Santa Fe since there are times we need an adult or other child outboard. There is no center headrest and DS will be outboard in the RXT which does not install well center.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC