Diono radian

ADS

tiggercat

They are very narrow, and have high weight and height limits, with a tall shell to match.

Sent from my iPod touch using Car-Seat.Org

featherhead

They also sit really low to the seat, with low sides, making it so easy to get your kid in and out without bonking their head on the car.

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
I agree with all the answers posted above. :)

The Radian hasn't always been my favorite seat (because certain seats worked best for me at different times), but it is currently my favorite convertible.

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
The folding feature is also useful for taking a Radian along as a travel seat.

kam1011

Yeah it used to be the tallest...now there are other, taller options. Still, for a three-across situation, a radian in the mix makes everything so much easier!

actuallyamanda

Also, because they are so slim, it makes it easy for those that need 3 seats together in one row. Especially if you have a small vehicle.

sunnymw

Travel. Narrow for 3 across while still having a good amount of internal seating room. High weight limits. High shell height. Low profile.

CONS:
Heavy as crap.
Not always the easiest install.

I have two and it's a love/hate/need thing.

squishles10

You can make it into a backpack for airport travel. That reason alone makes it worth all it's 26 lbs. Once dragged a Britax through the airport, never again. Next week bought a Radian. Super slim so fits in lots of situations, including between front seats when installed center without touching seats. Sides are super low so I don't wonk my 3yo's head when I put him in RF (like I do EVERY TIME in my husband's car- RF Britax). Super tall with great RF weight limit, AND angle adjuster so it takes up a small amount of room front to back when RF, smaller than almost everything else I looked at.

Cons- rethread harness, heavy.

serenitysmama

I love the pros about it but the ease of installing it is a big factor. We switch between two cars so I'm leaning towards the nextfit

squishles10

The Nextfit has a lot of the pros and cons of the Britax. I do not like it RF because it is so deep. It's even deeper than the Britax. I would definitely try them both. I assume the shape of the car doors affect how easy it is to get kids in RF in deep seats, but I've had both installed in the same cars before and it didn't matter that much. It also gets harder with taller kids so if yours is short maybe borrow a tall kid to try at the store :)

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Loved how small/low my Radian was, while still allowing a huge amount of legroom and height for my great big rearfacing kid. Even in a captain's chair, where anything technically would have fit easily, I liked the lowness of it so I could see my kiddo when I was sitting in the front seat (me passenger side, her drivers... I hated that I couldn't even SEE her in a Recaro!). Also needed it for a tight three across situation a couple times with the older kids in boosters. Also love the ability to tether rearfacing to manage rebound (keeping kids from bouncing backwards so far that they hit the C-pillar of the car in a severe rear/side impact).
Got poor comfort reviews from the kids about the harness rubbing their necks when they got older, and it was a pain to learn to install, and the harness adjuster was the tug-release-tug type that is a royal pain.
I think I'd buy it again if I had a need for another seat and Britax doesn't get taller shells again (they used to HAVE taller shells, my older dd loved her old Marathon till she was 4.5 RF with room to grow if the weight limit had been higher...).

mumof2

one thing I am curious about is has anyone use the Diono Radian in Booster mode.

The 50lb weight limit (minimum) is quite high and I wonder how many children would get to the height limit of outgrowing it before gettingto the weight limit.

are the slots/height the same as the XTSL, my 5 year old is at the top slots of the XTSL and would only have another 6 or so months before she outgrew it but she is only 47lb.

it is a pity the weight for booster mode wasnt 40lbs but still the same height

tiggercat

one thing I am curious about is has anyone use the Diono Radian in Booster mode.

The 50lb weight limit (minimum) is quite high and I wonder how many children would get to the height limit of outgrowing it before gettingto the weight limit.

are the slots/height the same as the XTSL, my 5 year old is at the top slots of the XTSL and would only have another 6 or so months before she outgrew it but she is only 47lb.

it is a pity the weight for booster mode wasnt 40lbs but still the same height

The RXT is outgrown by height as a booster shortly after it is outgrown by harness height. My own daughter was barely able to squeeze into it in booster mode at 53lbs (so only 3lb over the lower limit!) when I tried her in it. She had recently outgrown it by height (shoulders above top harness slots) in harnessed mode as well.

Sent from my iPod touch using Car-Seat.Org

Stelvis

You can make it into a backpack for airport travel. That reason alone makes it worth all it's 26 lbs. Once dragged a Britax through the airport, never again. Next week bought a Radian. Super slim so fits in lots of situations, including between front seats when installed center without touching seats. Sides are super low so I don't wonk my 3yo's head when I put him in RF (like I do EVERY TIME in my husband's car- RF Britax). Super tall with great RF weight limit, AND angle adjuster so it takes up a small amount of room front to back when RF, smaller than almost everything else I looked at.

Cons- rethread harness, heavy.

I used the travel cart for our Britax in the airport -- it was great! IMO much easier than dragging around a seat with a separate boot that can get easily detached and lost. I even put another carry-on in the seat of the Boulevard and used the cart to haul them both.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC