Question Convertible for Overseas Travel- Posted for guest

Admin

Admin - Webmaster
From a visitor:

My almost one year old and I will travel japan to the us next month and I am worried that he might not fit in his snug ride 35 at that point. At ten mos now, he is 29 pounds and about 2.5 feet tall, exceeding the growth charts. He does not travel by car often but is irritable when he does, perhaps because the straps at his crotch are uncomfortably tight, though they do not extend further. Should I get a new carseat for our trip, and if so, which one? I will be traveling with him alone so weight is an issue, as is ease of installation. He will use the seat on the plane as well as in taxis at our destination (and back at home in the family car, a Toyota Vanguard 2013).

Thanks!

ADS

gigi

Will this seat need to be used as a primary car seat when you return? Or as an occasional use seat?

I don't believe Japan has locking belts or universal latch or car, so definitely become acquainted with the locking clip or buy a seat with lockoffs.

Normally I'd recommend the Combi Coccoro but given your child's size perhaps there is a longer lasting option.

jasminegrl

Japan has locking belts on some newer cars but not all so get used to using a locking clip as its just easier. You more than likely will not find latch unless it is an imported car.

U

Unregistered

The seat will be used as a regular car seat in Tokyo as well as on our international and domestic (US) flights and in cars in the US. We use the seat belt to secure the car seat in the car, and of course will use the seat belt on the plane. Can anyone recommend which car seat would best suit my son's size as well as being lightweight enough for me to carry and install on the plane by myself? Thank you! J

gigi

I am bumping hoping someone has a good recommendation.

Maybe an Evenflo Sureride?

My reco is to learn to use a locking clip. You will need it in Japan for any seat beside a Britax or a Coccoro.

If he were mine I'd get a great long lasting seat like a Chicco Nextfit for home use and find a lighter seat to travel with.

U

Unregistered

Thanks for the recommendation, Gigi. I looked at some reviews of evenflo sureride but some reviewers on this site seemed to have reservations about the seat and have trouble with installation. As we use mostly public transport here in tokyo, I don't feel like I want to buy multiple seats, so if one would work for planes and cars that would be best.

Any other suggestions? Please?

newyorkDOC

I'd get a Swedish TWE. I assume you have no issues with using an imported seat in Japan. It's pretty light, has a super tall shell, installs with a seatbelt and does not require a locking clip even if your belts don't lock (bc most European belts don't lock).

monica-m

CPST Instructor
Can the TWE be installed on a plane? Perhaps a US Britax convertible with lockoffs would be a better fit since its also approved for use on an airplane. You will have to check car seat rules for the individual carriers you fly to see what their regulations/restrictions are.

newyorkDOC

Can the TWE be installed on a plane? Perhaps a US Britax convertible with lockoffs would be a better fit since its also approved for use on an airplane. You will have to check car seat rules for the individual carriers you fly to see what their regulations/restrictions are.

Yes it can. I've installed it no problem. I even installed it RFing in bulkhead once. It's ECE approved (obviously) and has the UN seal.

U

Unregistered

Hi again. The TWE specs look good but I wonder about the following info (copied from the website):

Some ask if it's legal to import a Swedish car seat to US or Australia. The answer is yes, importing a Swedish car seat to these countries is legal although it is technically illegal to use one.

newyorkDOC

You cannot legally use a non-US seat in the US just as you cannot use a non-EU seat in the EU. The reason is that there are no seats that have been tested on both sides of the ocean and carry both approval labels. Certain seats exist on both sides but carry each continent's approval (cybex Aton, cybex x-fix, graco nautilus, bubblebum, etc). The reason is bc the crash testing is totally different (neither is superior).

It is a parental decision to use your own seat when travelling abroad (wherever abroad may be). I live in Europe but have used my TWE while visiting the US. I also keep US seats in the US. I do whatever is more convenient for me for travelling.

Last edited:
U

Unregistered

Since I am thinking about using the car seat in the US during our visit perhaps I should get a seat that is not illegal to use. Is there a US version of the TWE or some similar seat I could get? I really appreciate your input!

newyorkDOC

As far as I know, all US seats require either a locking belt or built in lockoffs or a locking clip. I think some also require a top tether (though maybe they are just recommended and not required? I'm not a tech so don't know).). The European seats are designed to work without them bc European cars don't have locking belts for the most part.

There are certainly US seats that are comparable in terns of RF height limit. There are no US seats that RF to 55 lbs AFAIK. Granted you may not need to worry about that if your child is tall and lean.

Honestly I'd probably get two seats. One to use at home and one to travel with to the US (if you're that concerned about the US approval). I'd get like a scenera or something until you child is 3 then I'd consider traveling with an RSTV.

newyorkDOC

If you plan on leaving the seat installed in your vanguard, I wouldn't be concerned too much with needing a locking clip if you can install it and forget about it for the most part. What I would NOT want is to have to regularly move around a seat requiring a locking clip.

Also I don't know about the Japanese Toyotas but the European Toyotas all have top tethers. Also my European Prius always me to brace my TWE despite advanced airbags but the US Prius does not. So if you are still considering the TWE I'd double check your car manual about the bracing thing. Mine says you can brace as long as it does not interfere with car seat installation per your car seat manufacturers manual. If you cannot brace then you'd need a Swedish seat with a support leg or an American seat.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC